Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Instrument suitable for a beginner.  (Read 8211 times)

Dick Sadler

• Good talker
  • Pt.
Re: Instrument suitable for a beginner.
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2019, 05:00:47 PM »

Many thanks to all for comments, suggestions and private messages.
I have commissioned an Erica  and it is being fettled as I write. Should be available in a couple of weeks or so.
If I didn’t have bad luck, I wouldn’t have any luck at all.....

Randal Scott

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2019, 09:11:36 PM »

Reason's for not buying a pokerwork:
1. Their popularity for morris means that they may have been thrashed to the point of destruction.
What's with Morris musicians then? What's all this thrashing?  Not the first time I've heard this phrase used either, by any means. Do you hit them with big sticks or thrash them with handkerchiefs? What sort of musician thrashes their instrument? My button accordions are all between fifty and seventy years old and they are still as good as new. Better, in at least one case. Where am I going wrong?

Not that I'm in favor of thrashing  :|glug

But, realize, an instrument must not only produce notes, but be transported, lugged about, and well, after all - live - with a musician (or player, dilettante, and presumably worse even).

The more they travel, the more they're exposed to taking a nick or two.  (Fortunately, our boxes are about the most convenient things to pack around!)

« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 09:13:46 PM by catty »

MelonBox

• Respected Sage
    • Mel Biggs Music | Melodeon Teacher
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2019, 04:53:05 PM »

Many thanks to all for comments, suggestions and private messages.
I have commissioned an Erica  and it is being fettled as I write. Should be available in a couple of weeks or so.

Great to hear this Dick! I too started out on an Erica - great boxes! I hope you'll enjoy playing it along with my Pick Up & Play course. How's it going by the way?
Castagnari Trilly DG and GC, Castagnari Tommy DG all by Acorn Instruments,
Hohner Picoletta Bb/Eb and Hohner Student 1 C/F conversion set up by Mike Rowbotham.

Pick Up & Play with Mel Biggs - Online beginners course: https://melbiggsmusic.co.uk/puap

Mel Biggs Musician | Melodeon Teacher
www.melbiggsmusic.co.uk

Dick Sadler

• Good talker
  • Pt.
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2019, 05:08:12 PM »

Bit of a hiatus but no reason why it can’t be seen by all. Just could not manage the air button and the c bass/chord buttons. No way could I span the distance. So....the borrowed box has gone back and currently I am without. By the by, saw a thread on melnet only the other day of others with the same problem on certain boxes and even Lester  (!) resorted to modifying an air button location. So Winster Gallop, part a, was being played only with GDA base. Part B remains in my dreams. Thanks for asking.
If I didn’t have bad luck, I wouldn’t have any luck at all.....
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal