Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Double-Ray Deluxe  (Read 1210 times)

davidd

Double-Ray Deluxe
« on: February 20, 2019, 03:43:11 PM »

I have two Double rays, one is the black painted wood version and the other is the purple celluloid.  I really enjoy both and have a hard time deciding which i prefer. But i really want a deluxe 3 voice.
I was wondering about how good the purple ones with the decorative curve and dot design on the keyboard tend to be. I may be able to obtain one for a nice price but won't be able to try it out.
If it is as nice as the 2 voice I have, it would be just what I am looking for.
Thanks, David

IanK

Re: Double-Ray Deluxe
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 05:30:30 PM »

I have one of the model you describe and I like it very much.  It's a bit bulkier than the two voice version but not overly so. Like all old Double Rays it will have the old-style basses for playing on the rows (unless it has already been 'fixed'!).

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 05:47:54 PM »

How good a particular model sounds will largely depend on how well it has been cared for, renovated, tuned etc.  Can you ask the seller for a recording of it being played?
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

davidd

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 06:43:47 PM »

I hope I can.  I am still working on persuading them to ship it rather than only local collection. Since I am very much not local!

pgroff

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 09:57:01 PM »

Hi davidd

I really like some of the early 3 voice Hohner Double-Ray models. But there are several types of them. And the stencil design that you mention on the keyboard plate doesn't always correlate with the other body features. For example you can find that stencil design on the keyboard plate of multiple body styles of the 3 voice boxes (e.g. with different types of grille design or with pearl vs. celluloid buttons). And you can also find all those different body styles without any stencil pattern on the keyboard plate.

Exactly what are the other features of the model you like?  E.g. does it have an all metal grille, or is the grille metal in the middle with edges of wood / celluloid?  Are the buttons genuine pearl, or celluloid? Is the left rear corner of the box (back of the bass side) rounded or sharp? Etc.

PG

davidd

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 03:12:58 PM »

The one I was looking at had the metal grill with celluloid sides.  But alas it has been sold and not to me.  So I will continue looking and perhaps one will fall into my lap.
David
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal