Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Acorn web site access problems  (Read 1548 times)

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
Acorn web site access problems
« on: February 20, 2019, 04:58:58 PM »

Hi
It has been reported that some people are having difficulty accessing my web site www.acorninstruments.co.uk

If this is the case could you please email info@acorninstruments.co.uk and let me know.
An indication of your operating system would help

many thanks
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
Re: Acorn web site access problems
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 05:14:38 PM »

Windows 10 and Google Chrome picked it up straight away here in Egypt. (Or do you just want to hear from folk who cannot access it?)
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 05:42:30 PM »

OK for me Pete! (Firefox on Mac OS High Sierra)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Steve Fox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 05:51:33 PM »

Fine for me on both Safari and Firefox (Mac OS Mojave 10.14.3).
Steve from Wakefield

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 06:17:51 PM »

Fine for me. Firefox on Win10.

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 06:37:01 PM »

Thanks all
If anyone who is having problems please email me as above then I can see if there is a something common to the problems
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty

JohnS

• Good talker
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 06:39:51 PM »

Works ok on Windows 7 Google Chrome.

On Android Chrome I get 'Your connection is not private' then some other blurb then  NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 06:41:39 PM »

Here's a copy of a post I made elsewhere, I'm not sure if you saw it etc. I added a summary to the end of this post.

------------------

Hello, I have a macbook pro that's still running El Capitan 10.11. If I try to use Safari on this system, version 11 apparently, I get this when navigating to the Acorn site.

I seem to be able to drop into more details, and request that my system start trusting the issuing authority if I type in my device password, and I assume that'll get it working in Safari.

So, switching to a different browser, your site works just fine for me in whatever the most updated version of chrome is probably, but, also note that the root certificate being used appears to be issued from a slightly different authority:

So, your customer may or may not be being impacted by something like this, but most likely only if they are using an older system? I think this is the same error that Anahata experienced with his Android tablet. I'm not sure why one root certificate is being picked over the other, or, if one browser is simply displaying the chain in a different manner to the other, but, hopefully this gives you an idea of what to investigate.

------------

The website does work ok using Safari on a macbook air running OSX Mojave. In this situation, it still finds the X1 certificate, but Let's Encrypt's ISRG Root X1 is considered trusted by this system, as enough time has passed and the world has decided to trust them. They talk about the situation a little bit here; https://letsencrypt.org/certificates/

Basically, my take is: Your certs are present and correct, however, some people's devices do not trust the Let's Encrypt ISRG Root X1 authority which signed one of the 2 trust chains, because they're just slightly older devices and didn't know about this authority yet. There is supposed to be a path around this, and you do implement this on your page, but, for some reason, I think that it isn't always working when people visit your domain - potentially some browsers are 'accepting' the alt X3 cert, certificate, some are rejecting it. This leaves only the X1 certificate, which the system doesn't trust, so, we get this error.

Most likely, at this stage, I'd guess that there is some tiny 'mistake' in your site's configuration somewhere that is discouraging some people's browsers from using the backup DST Root CA X3 pathway, which most likely their system trusts, and this is why the site works on my system in chrome, but not safari, on the same system - I believe safari must have rejected one of the certs for some reason. SSL certs are like a can of worms, though, so, what qualifies as a mistake can be really questionable. You should be fine, but, some small thing is upsetting things somewhere, and it's generating this very aggressive information page to the user, which really isn't very fair to anyone.

edit - For posterity, I had a little thing/experiment, I would quickly like to link this in particular:

https://valid-isrgrootx1.letsencrypt.org/

This is apparently Let'sEncrypt's reference website of 'check out how our cool SSL cert trust chain works!'. Importantly, it also doesn't work on safari on my system either, while it does in chrome, with exactly the same outcome wrt cert pathways. My guess is that the above link also doesn't work for anyone who has been having trouble accessing your website.

So, I dunno, if Let's Encrypt's reference, correctly set up example exhibits this behaviour, then actually I'm not sure anything is 'wrong' with the acorn page's implementation at all?

In any case, best of luck with it!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 12:44:05 AM by Gena Crisman »

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 06:48:14 PM »

What a wizard wheeze to get people to visit your site Pete ;)

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 07:26:48 PM »

What a wizard wheeze to get people to visit your site Pete ;)

SJ

Indeed :-) Techie head on here. Your site is using a Lets Encrypt certificate, otherwise known to us windows techies as a CertifyTheWeb certificate. They're fine; nothing wrong with them, and they're cheap and easy to set up. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, some systems just don't play nice with it. We (at work) have a fairly major/tech aware client reporting much the same issue on a site we set up for them using CertifyTheWeb, and whereas it worked for us, we kept getting reports of their internal people having certificate issues. They wouldn't be running out of date stuff, but they were typically being reported on Apple kit. We tried it on our Apple kit and couldn't pin it down - it's *very* hard to reproduce. We replaced the certificate with a "full price" certificate, and the problems went away. It's simply that some people's systems, for whatever reason, just don't trust Let's Encrypt certificates. I think you'll keep getting reports like this on your site Pete, and if you want them to go away completely, you need to upgrade your certificate. Get your techie chap to talk to some very nice people at www.ssl247.co.uk which is who I use for this sort of stuff.

PS: Gena's explanation is better than mine.

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 08:09:44 PM »

I think this is where I go AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Thank you,I have passed all that on
Glad I don't understand  (:)

No more please,things in hand to try and fix this  Thank You
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 08:38:08 PM by pete /acorn »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal