Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Lump on hand - ganglion?  (Read 2595 times)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Lump on hand - ganglion?
« on: February 22, 2019, 09:51:36 AM »

Hi Peeps,
I went to morris practice last night and as I currently have a twangey back, for once decided to play.
When I got home I realised I have a small lump on the back of my hand, mid way between knuckles and wrist directly in line with my middle finger.
I googled 'ganglion' and it sound like that, a tear in the tendon sheaf and leaking fluid which forms a lump.
It hopefully will dissipate, according to the information.
Wonder if anyone else has had this and can advise on the best remedy?
thanks
Frustrated of Devon  :-[
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Lump on hand - ganglion?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 09:58:17 AM »

The traditional cure is hitting the ganglion very hard with a huge book. The ideal book for the task, apparently, is the Bible, hence the nickname for ganglia being “bible cysts” or “bible bumps”.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20130205-should-you-bash-a-bible-bump

Not sure I recommend that, I had on on my wrist and one day I gave it a shove and it just went away.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 10:07:10 AM »

Yes, I've seen the 'bible bashing' remedy, and I think in this modern age...…!
I think hot/cold compresses should do the thing some good to dissipate the fluid.
Thanks for the link, it's similar to things I have seen on the net this morning.

I suppose I should have a few non-melodeon days and see if it goes away  :(
I don't think I've bashed it and caused it that way, but I might have doing stuff around the house....
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 01:37:05 PM »

Surely that should serve as a warning to us all? I'll certainly tell my wife about it; old blokes just shouldn't be "doing things around the house"!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 01:52:07 PM »

such as making tune notations by typing into the computer for my Buttery manuscript tunes, playing melodeon.
Those sort of things around the house...... >:E
Thrupenny Bit

Barry Tolson

• Good talker
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 03:37:57 PM »

I had mine surgically removed. It had become very painful on my wrist. It felt like fire shooting through my hand.
Hohner Club IIB Victoria

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 06:37:13 PM »

Yeow .... I'm hoping mine will go down without the need for a knife.
The info I've seen sounds like it could do.
Fingers crossed ( but not my middle one  ;D )
Thrupenny Bit

Emily Peabody

• Good talker
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 06:56:14 PM »

I developed ganglions on both wrists after my son was born. The local GP recommended ibuprofen gel, which didn't do any good. My dad (also a GP) recommended hitting them with an encyclopaedia. The bashing method made one go away, and time (about four months?) took care of the other.

Lyra

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 02:34:59 AM »

I had one on my wrist for ages (years). It was mainly annoying most of the time till it hurt. I had a cortisone injection in it that worked for a bit (but ouchies!!) then was scheduled to have it removed. However, I fell over on it while skiing and it went away (more ouchies for a few days) since when no reoccurrence. I suppose you could say I hit it with me.

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 06:25:26 AM »

I developed ganglions on both wrists after my son was born. The local GP recommended ibuprofen gel, which didn't do any good. My dad (also a GP) recommended hitting them with an encyclopaedia. The bashing method made one go away, and time (about four months?) took care of the other.

Amazingly this does work. Some years ago working in the bookbindery one of my staff was complaining of a ganglion on the back of his hand. Ha I said, “The traditional method is to hit it with a bible”
I was restoring a Bible at the time so picked it up to pretend to carry out the cure but lost my grip and bang it went onto the back of his hand. It had gone in a couple of weeks.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 08:44:34 AM »

Well, I hesitate saying this, so I'll type in a whisper....
It looks like it's starting to go down.
It's not as taught as it was yesterday.

It might have been playing that caused it or maybe an over enthusiastic use of my computer mouse wheel when working at the pc. Possibly a combination of the two, but I was shocked to suddenly see it, hence my post.
I'll possibly take another day off playing and see how it goes.
Thanks for the stories.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2019, 10:08:55 AM »

It looks like it's starting to go down.
It's not as taught as it was yesterday.

'Appen you taught it to sit, see if you can get it to roll over.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2019, 10:47:35 AM »

;D
yeah ok...! I was only on my first cuppa when replying.
I was of course translating from the Devonian so my spell checker gets taut and taught mixed up.
'Tis the way us spells it down yer  ;)
P'raps  ::)
Thrupenny Bit

Falconer

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2019, 01:24:22 PM »

Had a small fluid cyst at the inside bottom joint of my middle finger in my 20's. My dads partner was a doctor and gave the same diagnosis as above. It wasn't in an easy spot to wack. I believe it was caused by years of irritation. I changed the way I worked with my hands and it disappeared after a few months. It's amazing the amount of worry a little bugger like that can cause. I had to have a large fat cyst removed on my back a few years ago that just kept growing and the dermatologist said they can be the bodies reaction to a trauma or injury. But I couldn't remember one.
Hohner Pokerwork GC (1960's) & Hohner/Koch AD (cir. 1930), Mengascini Milonga GC LM & Hohner Red Perloid DG (1935-40), Castagnari Rik GC+, a DG Beltuna Sara +2 & Bb/Eb Hohner Preciosa moified to 12 Basses. Lachenal 48 Key English Concertina (cir. 1903).

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2019, 02:37:21 PM »

I've not played yesterday or today, but i did do some abc notation using a mouse with a wheel on the top to navigate the manuscript on my computer.. I think excessive use of the wheel might well have caused it as I bend the middle finger rapidly and quickly when scrolling with it.
I noticed after this morning's notation work it seems to have become more noticeable.

You're right, it does cause worry and I was shocked to suddenly see it on my hand.
Anyway, l plan to take it easy, watch the rugby and not play for a couple of days and let it settle.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Suzanne Perron

• Regular debater
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2019, 06:13:29 PM »

I had one from moving house...hurt quite a bit. I iced it a few times a day, 10min or so each time,  and it went away after a short while (couple weeks). You are right to rest it from activity especially.
Best luck with it!
Selling as szmaine on US eBay!

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2019, 07:52:38 PM »

thank you..... a few days rest might make a difference, hard as it is not to play!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2019, 11:53:17 PM »

Keep an eye on it Q an ex colleague had a series of those over a period of years and after a lot of discomfort they eventually  found it was mouse use (CAD Draughtsman) and it ended up causing or aggravating Carpal Tunnel probs as each ganglion left a residual cyst rubbing an already congested area.

Alternatively call the embassy and have it deported back to Ganglia - OK, coat already on...........
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2019, 06:58:49 AM »

Keep an eye on it Q an ex colleague had a series of those over a period of years and after a lot of discomfort they eventually  found it was mouse use (CAD Draughtsman) and it ended up causing or aggravating Carpal Tunnel probs as each ganglion left a residual cyst rubbing an already congested area.

Alternatively call the embassy and have it deported back to Ganglia - OK, coat already on...........

I ‘spose that’s East Ganglia then. >:E
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2019, 08:14:34 AM »

Ah right to it's Normal for Norfolk then?
Seriously, yes I will keep an eye on it.
Luckily I'm only now tied to a mouse for personal use, and perhaps my 'enthusiastic use the other day was the reason.
It makes sense as though I played that evening at practice, my right hand line  - wrist and fingers -  generally is a straight line. I've always tried to keep straight lines to reduce such events as this. My gut feeling is playing might have exacerbated it but wasn't causal.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal