Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: TOTM Chat  (Read 5628 times)

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: TOTM Chat
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2019, 05:45:21 PM »

My biggest problem is being inconsistent and forgetful as to where to place the LS10 during the live recording. It seems to produce a better result on manual than automatic recording level but over the years I've quite often over or under recorded the sound. I'd welcome any views on the optimum placing.

I don't know if it's optimum, but I put a mic about 1m away in front of me. It's a stereo pair, and it's always in a sound treated room: the current one has wideband absorption all over the ceiling and bass traps in corners, but has a hard floor and some bare walls so doesn't sound too dead. I mention that because the optimum mic placement will vary with room acoustics.
I sometimes apply a light reverb too, because the recorded sound is quite dry.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2019, 06:39:03 PM »

My idea of reverb for presence is to turn it up until you can hear it, then back off a tad...
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2019, 08:21:16 PM »

My idea of reverb for presence is to turn it up until you can hear it, then back off a tad...

Yes, or set it so you can't hear it as such, but you can tell the difference when you mute it.

The audibility of reverb varies with volume, though. Turn it all up and it becomes more obvious...

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2019, 12:00:40 AM »

Yes, or set it so you can't hear it as such, but you can tell the difference when you mute it.

The audibility of reverb varies with volume, though. Turn it all up and it becomes more obvious...

Indeed.  It's always a good idea to A/B any processing before going on.

There's a fellow from Washington state on YouTube playing various boxes, Anglo and a few other instruments...I think his handle sqwzbox.  His use of reverb is pretty darned good most of the time.

https://youtu.be/alXjGMuL9Y4
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 12:30:27 AM by Dick Rees »
...Thelonius Monk

...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2019, 09:49:34 AM »

I use an Olympus LS1 recorder for sound only and put it on SoundCloud.
I used to sit facing it about 1m away in the conservatory until I was made aware it was picking up everything. Consequently I put it about 2m away facing away from me, then sit at 90degrees to it and play.

I had a comment that last month's effort was a bit bright and perhaps try another room. It might have been but as over the course of time have lost my top frequencies ok to me is bright to others!
Any hints as to getting a more natural sound from a (good quality) recorder?
I.e. carpeted room? distance/ position of recorder?
Once recorded I only snip off ends to tidy it up and don't use any post recording tweaks.
Thoughts anyone?
Cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2019, 10:01:24 AM »

Thank you for the 1 metre suggestion Anahata. I think I might have been placing mine a bit far away. And 1 metre is easy to remember from month to month too.

TB, I'm not sure how the recorder points away from you if you're at 90 degrees to it. Doesn't that make it to your left or right? I tend to point mine towards me slightly from the LHS to pick up enough of the bass end.

My (bookshelf) room is fairly dead - coz of carpet and books. I've tried other places in the house which have a bit more natural reverb but my boxes live in that room  so it tends to be my go to place.

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2019, 10:21:53 AM »

Thank you for the 1 metre suggestion Anahata. I think I might have been placing mine a bit far away. And 1 metre is easy to remember from month to month too.
I was guessing wildly about mic distance. I should go into the studio and set up for a typical recording, and see how far away it really is.
I do know, though, that the camera has to be further away than I would want to place a mic, and that the camera mic does pick up too much room sound.
If you're worried about it, experiment with mic positions. Play the same tune once each with mic placements at 0.5m, 1m, 1.,5m, 2m etc. listen carefully to the result and pick the one that sounds best.

My (bookshelf) room is fairly dead - coz of carpet and books. I've tried other places in the house which have a bit more natural reverb but my boxes live in that room  so it tends to be my go to place.
Natural reverb is nice, but it works best in a big room. Small reverberant rooms tend to resonate at a series of spot frequencies, which is one reason why "bathroom honk" is very different from a concert hall sound with the same nominal decay time.

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2019, 10:44:11 AM »

If you're worried about it, experiment with mic positions. Play the same tune once each with mic placements at 0.5m, 1m, 1.,5m, 2m etc. listen carefully to the result and pick the one that sounds best.
Thank you for the suggestion but I think you might be mistaking me for a sensible organised type person! :-\

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2019, 10:45:29 AM »

McG: sorry I knew I was being obtuse when I wrote it, I should have been more explicit.
I point it away from me, sit down and turn at 90 to it!

Hmmm.... my other practice room is similar, bookshelves, carpeted room, I'll give it a go in there and see what happens.
Thus far I've used the conservatory as it's where I practice in the mornings, but it's only a habit!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2019, 10:49:37 AM »

Which way do you turn - i.e. is it your treble or bass end that's towards the device...or am I being dim?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 10:54:37 AM by Mcgrooger »

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2019, 11:46:54 AM »

oh.... good point. I usually turn my bass side to the device, so's not to pick up any action noise from the treble side.
It's not that my Castagnari is noisy, it's that my device has ears like a bat! It' very sensitive.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2019, 01:42:27 PM »

" Natural reverb is nice, but it works best in a big room. Small reverberant rooms tend to resonate at a series of spot frequencies, which is one reason why "bathroom honk" is very different from a concert hall sound with the same nominal decay time."

Moderate to severe "bathroom honk" can be corrected to a certain extent by proper diet and will help decrease the frequency of the spots...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 01:44:25 PM by Dick Rees »
...Thelonius Monk

...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal