Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for March 2020: Reel de Ste Anne  (Read 4315 times)

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: Tune of the Month for March 2020: Reel de Ste Anne
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2020, 09:47:46 PM »

I learned this from a recording of Máirtín O'Connor in the late 1970s and though I haven't played it a lot since then, it's the version I know and I'd be struggling to change to the way it's played now by Quebecois players.

St Anne's Reel
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Ransom

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2020, 08:41:26 PM »

I've got one!
https://youtu.be/32MJTZthKsc
Yeah, that came out pretty fun.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2020, 10:42:02 PM »

I learned this tune “St Anne’s Reel” as an Irish reel when I was a beginner of melodeon.But this month  I tried to play “Reel de Ste Anne” as Quebecois with foot tapping for the first time.I am not a step dancer,it is hard to play with tapping. :Ph

Castagnari Max D

https://youtu.be/bQVjE3YTvU0
Nicely done. I found myself staring at your left leg, waiting for it to join the party. All dressed up too. I have no chance of playing and tapping, so well done.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Little Eggy

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2020, 09:06:49 AM »

I learned this tune “St Anne’s Reel” as an Irish reel when I was a beginner of melodeon.But this month  I tried to play “Reel de Ste Anne” as Quebecois with foot tapping for the first time.I am not a step dancer,it is hard to play with tapping. :Ph

Castagnari Max D

https://youtu.be/bQVjE3YTvU0

That’s excellent!!!  Well done!!

Graham Wood

• Regular debater
  • Old Fumble Fingers
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2020, 07:53:51 PM »

Just wanted to say a big thank you to all the contributors to this months TOTM. I really enjoyed listening to all of them. I fully intended to contribute as well but unfortunately March has been a month of work, eat, sleep and repeat cycle. I guess we are living in unprecedented times for our generation and truly hope that we all pass through the tunnel relatively unscathed. I will contribute but it won't be in March. Stay safe one and all.

Graham
Graham Wood - Third Planet from The Sun
Hohner Morgane B/C,   Junior Martin 1 Row in 'D' with knobs on top,   Acadian 1 Row in 'C' with more knobs on top.

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2020, 10:02:21 PM »

Same

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2020, 01:04:37 AM »

Same

Gena, I think this is the shortest post I've ever seen you make.  :o

boblsturm

• Good talker
    • High Noon, GMT
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2020, 05:36:42 PM »

I was happy to see this month's tune is an Irish standard! Here I play a Hohner club that I had converted to a custom G/D layout to play Irish ornamentation (more info: https://highnoongmt.wordpress.com/2020/01/05/introducing-the-black-box/)

https://youtu.be/hPl4Mr4cQBg

I hope you all are staying safe and healthy.
Bob L. Sturm, Associate Professor, and student of the melodeon

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2020, 12:19:05 PM »

Thanks all - on to the next tune; as usual please stick late contributions on the end of this thread as normal!

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2020, 12:07:54 PM »

Same

Hello, I finally made a this:

Reel de Ste. Anne
https://youtu.be/E43SWGNtkkw

My belated entry for March 2020, I copied the entire arrangement from Serge Carrier's one row performance, my ABC of what I'm doing and I believe his performance is here.

I did this because I wanted to have a better understanding of what it was he was doing and how he produced the sounds he did. I'm not sure if I have achieved that understanding but, idk, I think I'm on the way there. I had some trouble recording this tune, both in terms of if I was really up for trying, and, also because it's really quite tough to play in this manner for me at the moment - sometimes I'd play the wrong variation or just stumble, and because the notes just keep coming and I only ever learnt the tune this way, it would fairly easy throw me out of the tune. On this occasion, I went through the tune 3 times, and only made mistakes in the middle bit, so, opted to keep the recording and smooth out the fudges by taking audio from the 1st pass and just sneak it in.

When playing in this manner, I felt like every little timing error was amplified 10 fold, and there's a pretty good number of subtle little missteps, but, honestly I'm pretty happy with the result. I'm not sure how I would approach developing this tune from where it is now, in my repertoire. I should probably learn it without Serge's stylings, and just maybe bring them in or out for a bit for the first pass or work on some harmony.

Stops: Everything's on.

I had a recording session a while ago that was very frustrating as I was getting pretty close to getting through but would consistently make a mistake somewhere, and it was just super putting me off. Things went much better last night but still, even with a lot more much cleaner runs through the tune I still didn't manage to not fumble. I generally found most of my fumbles were in my upper octave, especially when using my lower half of my hand. Probably worth continuing to explore that end of the keyboard for general playing.

I did also consider using one row style basses, and playing just on the row, but idk I think I'm at a similar point to Pete/playandteach re accompaniment; I often find that it's kinda just a bit frustrating to hear myself not doing them while I'm playing. So I figured out the basses I wanted to hear, but aimed to play over top without losing too much one row vibe. It's not a problem when it's other people playing though.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2020, 01:26:25 PM »

On this occasion, I went through the tune 3 times, and only made mistakes in the middle bit, so, opted to keep the recording and smooth out the fudges by taking audio from the 1st pass and just sneak it in.

I have done this many times (and sometimes confessed to it  ;) ). One of the benefits of recording the sound separately from the picture is being able to user a proper sound editor to copy and paste good bits over bad bits. Why waste a good take because of a couple of fluffed notes?

Anyway, the result's pretty good and steady to my ears. If you're like me, you'll find in a few weeks that you can play it better still (or more effortlessly) and wonder whether you should have waited - but life goes on and brings further challenges.
Time to celebrate a job well done  :|glug
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2020, 02:52:35 PM »

Thanks!

If you're like me, you'll find in a few weeks that you can play it better still (or more effortlessly) and wonder whether you should have waited - but life goes on and brings further challenges.

Ugh, yes, all the time. I've actually been playing a whole bunch of Farewell to Muirheads recently, and enjoying it quite a lot, to be honest.

Also, regarding edits to videos/audio, I've always copped to it/highlight the edit in some way, just in case anyone is actually watching my keyboard. While I thought it mattered to me for a while, I realised that having made a faultless, 3x through recording wasn't really the achievement I cared about.

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2020, 05:40:56 PM »

Great job!  Very nice back beat.  Just what the tune needs.  Like the "whew, made it" ending.
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal