Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for March 2019: Origin of the World  (Read 29145 times)

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: Tune of the Month for March 2019: Origin of the World
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2019, 10:04:20 PM »

I've not taken a great deal of notice of the discussion about chords, but I did pick up on the link where you can download the entire tune book from the Blowzabella site, and though it would be well worth it for many more tunes as well as this one.

So here's my take on it, intended to be as writ, with Dave's chords where possible, but all transposed to B minor.
On those downward arpeggios in the B music I get different notes wrong each time... several other fluffs too, but I eventually got a take where I didn't lose the rhythm too much.

https://youtu.be/XWvc5d1cLwE
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2019, 10:23:00 PM »

That was very enjoyable to listen to, Anahata. And I can definitely feel with you considering the variety of mistakes during the arpeggio parts - those don't come too easy but I think it was a worthwhile practice.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2019, 10:30:41 PM »

Good to hear that others find aspects hard too. Although I'd listen to you any day, wrong notes or not.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2019, 10:23:24 PM »

Hello TotM pals,

I usually tack my efforts on at the end of the month when I finally get around to learning and sometimes even recording the tune. This month's tune is one I have been working on for some time already, since the end of 2017 apparently, but, it's invariably taken a back seat. I've been spurred to get back to it though since it came up for TotM.

One reason I wanted to learn it originally is that, I met up with a friend of mine and played some music for them, and they were like "that's neat. I don't suppose you know any tunes that aren't bouncy morris sounding tunes?".

I didn't.

This tune then became the answer to that question. It captivates my interest not just for the melody and structure, but also for the the way you end up playing the instrument, however which  way you end up doing so, due to its natural minor scale and large wingspan. It helped encourage me to seek out and learn how chords could work to push the tune, or as it turns out, 'not' push, particularly when the leading tone is absent, and how to play in B minor, and why you would want to. Paul Young's video of this tune in Bm helped me a lot.

Since then my interest has grown to tune writing & modes and exploring more strange ways to play the melodeon, and the act of doing those things and thinking about them has improved my comfort level with this kind of 'dancing' around the keyboard, especially to find harmony, which I do think has improved my playing, and understanding, of tunes.

Sadly, I still have no physical knowledge of how to play a Mazurka well, but, perhaps I'll get there before the end of the month! I also need to really figure out the middle of the B music, where there's a long sequence of draw chords, in bars 7, 8 and 9. I've had some air woes there before when playing louder. I also actually run out of air at one point in my video. Some work to do, yet. The tune is under my fingers, though, which I'm very pleased by.

In the world of 'studio talk', the audio is from an H2n again, about a meter in front of me. This time the lighting is care of a single studio light, aimed at the ceiling, and using my phone's front facing camera instead of the rear facing camera. This means there's no focus adjustment, and the quality of the camera isn't as good in terms of how much light it can get. But! I can see exactly what I'm doing and frame it fairly well. Bass end is a little bit fuzzy, and, every time I move it looks a little bit like soup (peep the grill). To me, that suggests the shutter speed is too long, which suggests there's not enough light. Sadly, I also tend to move around a lot. No dodgy reflections though! And far fewer dropped frames.

I played this on a 'new' 3v Oakwood, with the following stop configuration:
3 voice: on
Low Bass Fundamental: on
Chord Thirds: off

Origin of the World (Bm)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO14MpMJgtg

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2019, 10:39:05 AM »

Great stuff everyone - I struggled with this too! The 3rd arpeggio became a lot easier when I (eventually) figured out I needed to swap row!

https://youtu.be/IYIY26XSPKY

Here's my version, done on the Streb outputting midi to Mixcraft, and using the admittedly dodgy midi sound samples in Mixcraft. I suspect I might have been better using the samples in the Streb to be honest, but there we are. It's not, despite how it sounds, multi-tracked - I have the treble coming down one midi channel, and the bass down another with a different set of samples.

I think I'm in Bb/Eb, so the tune comes out in the original key of G minor. I'm also using unisonoric basses to make my life a bit easier.

Cheers,

Clive

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2019, 01:18:31 PM »

Great, Clive.  Very noir!
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Saul Bailey

• Anarchist
  • Good talker
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2019, 05:35:50 PM »

It's been a while, had a mad few weeks, but at last I can get back into TotM! So here we are...

https://youtu.be/rjR8RZpXWgg
Castagnari Morys DG & CF, Pariselle BbEb, Saltarelle Neuilly DG, Castagnari Lilly DG, Pokerwork DG, Eric Martin G/C

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2019, 05:48:41 PM »

Just great, Saul.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2019, 05:58:49 PM »

Yes indeed, lovely playing Saul.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2019, 06:48:23 PM »

It's been a while, had a mad few weeks, but at last I can get back into TotM! So here we are...

Thank you Saul.  So happy to hear all the notes and chords as Dave wrote them, plus your additional harmony notes and rhythms that our instrument can do so well.  And I'm so impressed with the fluency and accuracy of your playing, dancing over those arpeggios as if they were easy to play.   :|glug

Saul Bailey

• Anarchist
  • Good talker
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2019, 10:56:15 PM »

Thank you Saul.  So happy to hear all the notes and chords as Dave wrote them, plus your additional harmony notes and rhythms that our instrument can do so well.  And I'm so impressed with the fluency and accuracy of your playing, dancing over those arpeggios as if they were easy to play.   :|glug

Thank you - you should see the other umpteen takes!
Castagnari Morys DG & CF, Pariselle BbEb, Saltarelle Neuilly DG, Castagnari Lilly DG, Pokerwork DG, Eric Martin G/C

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2019, 09:32:04 AM »

apropos of nothing, I have just started to actually try and play this (up to now I have been just trying to get the melody into my head). I am overwhelmed with respect for those who have managed it. I have a feeling I won't.

[Edit: I am skulking off now to see if I can manage something in Em, instead of Bm, on the box with a low D scale]
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 09:47:41 AM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2019, 10:00:41 AM »

Greg, I think that's what frustrated me for so long. Playing in Em meant I couldn't get down low enough ( low E?) with a low G scale ( Anahata ) layout. The Bm option meant it fitted on my box!
Good luck matey...
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2019, 12:44:33 PM »

B minor is a no-brainer on a D/G box on which you can take the thirds out of the LH chords, and as Paul Young has demonstrated right at the top of the thread it's certainly possible even if you have a B major chord, by using the bass note alone or with the D chord to make a Bm7.
I'm intrigued, though, by the idea of playing it in other keys on different boxes if time permits, especially my Club C/F on which it should be possible in the original key of Gm, including the E♭ bass/chord that comes with the Club system.
Or E minor on my C/G melodeon that doesn't get played nearly enough, fiitting the keyboard in the same way as Bm does on a D/G.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2019, 01:10:34 PM »

apropos of nothing, I have just started to actually try and play this (up to now I have been just trying to get the melody into my head). I am overwhelmed with respect for those who have managed it. I have a feeling I won't.

[Edit: I am skulking off now to see if I can manage something in Em, instead of Bm, on the box with a low D scale]

There are tricks to playing this in Bm, and I'm not sure those tricks would work in Em. The hardest part, for me anyway, was the downward running arpeggios in the B music, and it took a while to get it right, even knowing what the tricks are. But basically, first arpeggio is on the outside row, on the pull, missing out one note, and played against E minor. Second arpeggio is on the outside row, on the push. Third arpeggio, and this is the one that took me ages to figure out, is on the push, on the inside row, played against G. The fourth bit is cross row, on the pull, but mostly on the outside row, and played against an A chord.

I find it fascinating (well slightly anyway, I do think about other stuff too) how some tunes that were not written for the melodeon seem to make very little sense, but then make perfect sense when you figure them out. Patin Blancs is another.

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2019, 02:01:31 PM »

I think I'm getting there in Bm - taking full advantage of my Pasty push Em chord and push E on the half row. Don't half help with bar 9 b part. Smug grin time !

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2019, 02:54:28 PM »

There are tricks to playing this in Bm, and I'm not sure those tricks would work in Em....

I'm sure you're right, and thanks for that, but what's really upsetting me is the squeakiness. I'm right up to the top on the D row playing notes I don't normally use, and which seem to need a tad more effort to get to sound, probably because they're very dusty.. Maybe I need to add an LMM to the collection.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2019, 04:50:16 PM »

Julian, have you been visiting Devon with your 'Pasty push'?
I keep meaning to ask about the advantages of the extra 4 bass buttons and how to use them, as touched on by Julian.
I see Saul nipping up to use his extra basses on his rendition. I am a committed 2row/8bass person, but still intrigued  nonetheless.
I suppose the interest comes from not seeing any regular 2.5row/12 bass players in my neck of the woods, so it's all a mystery.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2019, 05:54:26 PM »

'pasty' short for pastourelle Q ! (Strictly it's a salty pasty too..yet another tune title pending ?)

J

Old Bones Dance Band

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2019, 06:25:57 PM »

Ah.... apologies Julian. I though predictive text had got in the way!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal