Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for March 2019: Origin of the World  (Read 29129 times)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Re: Tune of the Month for March 2019: Origin of the World
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2019, 06:33:08 PM »

Greg, I hit reply as your post came in!
Yes, I'm aware of the fundamental difference between Saltarelle and Castagnari layout. I tend to think, in basic terms, the Saltarelle is a 'super' DG whilst as you say, Castagnari offer more key choices.
I suppose my interest is how people apply those options to the tunes. Basically I need to get and watch those type of players.
...and some turn up on this thread!
Q

Modified as my predictive text got in the way  ;)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 06:34:45 PM by Thrupenny Bit »
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2019, 07:29:30 PM »

Fingering and "flow" of the descending arpeggios in the B section can be approached in many ways.  I see a lot of folks "one-rowing" them like I used to do, but now that I've had to work around arthritic finger joints I find myself looking for more comfortable fingerings.  Here's my current approach to them using G/C as a notational reference.  First and third on the draw, second on the push. 

Edit for fingering:  Phrasing is more 4/2 rather than 3/3 with the index finger taking the fourth note in each bar.

a |
| e
| c
A |
| E
| C

g |
| d
| B
G |
| D
| B

f |
| c
| A
F |
| C
| A

I find the symmetry  evens out the phrasing as well as making the shift of hand position a bit more ergonomic.  I owe this approach to my dear departed friend John Berquist with whom I spent many happy hours playing button box.  Here we are serenading a garden gnome...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 11:16:39 PM by Dick Rees »
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2019, 07:49:48 PM »

Do we need another thread on two an a bit /12 bass layouts - or has this been discussed ad nauseam elsewhere ? what do you think ?
I hope to post my version of Origin tomorrow (fingers crossed)...

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2019, 08:07:34 PM »

Thanks for the thought Julian.
Perhaps I need to re-visit the threads and read them again, though I do seem to go round in circles.
I will watch your post with added interest and see where the Salty Pasty takes you  ;)
I'm also aware I'm seriously thread drifting the ToTM so will keep quiet..... apologies ToTM-ers!
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2019, 12:49:38 AM »

I keep meaning to ask about the advantages of the extra 4 bass buttons and how to use them, as touched on by Julian.
I see Saul nipping up to use his extra basses on his rendition. I am a committed 2row/8bass person, but still intrigued  nonetheless.

F major (F+A+C) is to A minor (A+C+E) just as C major (C+E+G) is to E minor (E+G+B). They overlap, basically.

So, if you play in actual A natural minor/Aeolian (using the same notes as C major), rather than A dorian (using the same notes as G major), F major can be a very useful chord. It's a chord based on a note that's normally only available on an accidental, but offers you improved chord vocabulary to bring your inner row's dorian-to-natural-minor playing in line with what you can do with your outer row's dorian. (eg makes A minor more on par with E minor in chords). Not having your F notes in the same direction as your F chord would be a bit weird though, which some layouts are cool with the idea of doing.

If you have a CF box, you just take all these things down a tone, so, you get G minor instead of A minor, but the reason for reaching up to the same basses still applies.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2019, 08:43:43 AM »

Thanks for that Gena.  I'll have a think about that......
Cheers.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2019, 05:27:08 PM »

https://youtu.be/yOYL_xzbIU8

This beautiful tune has been the most difficult ToTM for me to learn, requiring endless practice of those arpeggios. And even then it required 29 takes this afternoon to get this version!!! (After a while, diminishing returns of further takes)
I'm lucky enough to dance and play mazurkas fairly often, and I prefer them slow and gentle.

So my version here is at only 110, while Andy Cutting plays at around 130, and there are some even quicker ones on the forum.  Although the feeling of the tune is quite slow in my ears,  there are nevertheless a lot of repeated quavers. So the tune alone carries the rhythm in my opinion, not needing a typical mazurka left hand. 

Seems to me that there's a lot of emotion and significance in this tune: its extraordinary choice of title points to that. Dave must have meant something very significant in giving the tune the same title as  the iconic painting (as in icon)  So it's worth spending hours (days) in learning to play it, in my opinion.  ToTM is definitely a good thing!

« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 05:55:05 PM by Jackhumphreys »

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2019, 06:35:44 PM »

https://youtu.be/yOYL_xzbIU8

This beautiful tune has been the most difficult ToTM for me to learn, requiring endless practice of those arpeggios. And even then it required 29 takes this afternoon to get this version!!! (After a while, diminishing returns of further takes)
I'm lucky enough to dance and play mazurkas fairly often, and I prefer them slow and gentle.

Absolutely lovely, well done!

Julian S

« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2019, 06:51:18 PM »

I haven't been keeping track of the number of takes I have rejected so far - loads ! The last wasn't bad, but I think I rushed the arpeggios too much, and consequently increased speed. Time for the metronome I think.
Listening to Blowza playing it, I think I prefer it a tad slower - I agree with Jack on this. Fresh look tomorrow for me.

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Thoon

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2019, 10:21:12 AM »

Thoon's  Origin:   Masterful. In my ears the definitive interpretation in accordeon style, with wonderful additions to the chords, and fully expressing the spirit of the composition. 
When faced with this level of musicianship and expertise, what do the rest of us do? Almost feel like giving up the struggle to play well.  But no...... we can study what you are doing with those seventh chords and extra right hand notes, and the choice of voicings, but most of all how to convey the spirit behind a composition, beyond playing the notes.
Thanks Thoon for showing us the way!

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2019, 10:31:45 AM »

Lovely Thoon.....
Thrupenny Bit

Julian S

« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2019, 10:40:52 AM »

Really beautiful, Thoon. Great playing.

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Julian S

« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2019, 02:10:49 PM »

Before I lose my sanity (never mind everyone else in the house), here is my attempt, warts and all.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i3teeJr2rC8

I can't say I'm entirely happy with it - I blame the limits of my technology as well as my ability but it's time to move on !

J
Old Bones Dance Band

richard.fleming

« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2019, 02:47:39 PM »

Is there any connection between this tune and Courbet's painting of the same name? I think we ought to know. But be warned - if you look it up the tune will  never be quite the same for you afterwards. Better or worse, I'm not sure, but different anyway.
Old Paolo Sopranis in C#/D and D/D#

Julian S

« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2019, 02:58:32 PM »

Is there any connection between this tune and Courbet's painting of the same name? I think we ought to know. But be warned - if you look it up the tune will  never be quite the same for you afterwards. Better or worse, I'm not sure, but different anyway.

I think there is. Did Dave Shepherd compose it after seeing the painting ?

J
Old Bones Dance Band

arty

« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2019, 08:04:58 PM »

Hi!  (:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEbdk9YWctE&t=7s

That has set the bar very high, hasn’t it! Thank you Thoon, that is inspiring.
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2019, 08:20:53 PM »

"That has set the bar very high, hasn’t it!"

In my opinion, Thoon is one of our most exceptional players. Although I've listened to all of the renderings of this tune (and very good as they must certainly be) his version knocks them all into a cocked hat!
It's not a tune that I've ever liked, no matter who was playing it; but Thoons recording makes it sound so much more "listenable", for me. Thank you Thoon, so very much.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2019, 08:22:13 PM »

I can't say I'm entirely happy with it - I blame the limits of my technology as well as my ability but it's time to move on !
As I said before, we can either give room to the giants of the box who post here (and watch TOTM wither) or post the best that we can do at the time with the intention of making progress en route.
It's great that we get those giants here, and they do raise the bar, but we have our own personal goals and I'm delighted to see so many postings this month.
I used to run half marathons every weekend. They were called races, but I only ever raced against my own PB. I remember how difficult it became to shave even 5 seconds off a mile. I might have been overtaken by someone in a crocodile suit from time to time too. I once climbed a route on Harrison's rock, which is a smeary sandstone. I found out that someone else climbed it in boxing gloves and roller skates. I'm still proud to have done it.
For what it's worth Julian, I've heard you play tunes very comfortably, much more rhythmically than I can, and with seeming ease.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2019, 12:12:58 AM »

I think there is. Did Dave Shepherd compose it after seeing the painting ?

J

I believe Dave wrote it as therapy to help him recover from the shock of seeing the painting.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal