Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for March 2019: Origin of the World  (Read 29136 times)

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
Re: Tune of the Month for March 2019: Origin of the World
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2019, 12:29:26 PM »

I s'pose you're right H if the chat is about how to play the tune, what key etc. 28 more recordings to come then (I didn't vote for it). Btw, however those quavers are written - groups of 2 or 3, the little perishers are murder to get under the fingers which is why I kept missing the LH chords I wanted to play in the next couple of bars - I was still traumatised by the arpeggios! :o

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2019, 01:28:41 PM »

Just checking the melnet abc against the presumably definitive version in the book  "Blowzabella: More Scores"
There are quite a few differences in  rhythm.  The book version does not have the ties shown in the melnet abc: separate quavers instead.    There are also minims at the start of bars 4,8,12, 16.
So the melnet abc probably represents an interpretation rather than the composer's version.

More importantly,  the melody differs in bar 8 of the B music, where the BZB book's   G minor score notes are FGACDF
Whereas the melnet abc  G minor equivalent would be  FG BC DC.   The authentic tune has a different rising shape leading up to the top note of the arpeggio in the next bar.
Just thought that if we're busy learning this, we might as well respect DS's intentions.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2019, 01:56:03 PM »

Just thought that if we're busy learning this, we might as well respect DS's intentions.

I'm sure Mr Shepherd is like the rest of us and plays it how he feels on the day and varies it each time through. It's a folk dance tune, not classical music. I haven't got the Blowzabella dots but I would put money on him not playing   as they're notated.

I know he got arsey, once, about Albert's Table Top, but the way it's played for morris is quite a long way, harmonically, from what he plays, himself and he thought it lacked something as a result.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 01:58:20 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2019, 03:25:41 PM »

Here's Dave Shepherd playing the tune, so we can hear how it compares with the  melnet abc and with the Blowzabella book score:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYsnbonolUE

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2019, 04:03:34 PM »

... the little perishers are murder to get under the fingers which is why I kept missing the LH chords I wanted to play in the next couple of bars - I was still traumatised by the arpeggios! :o

Haha, I was watching your video and was thinking to myself, oh, very well done on those arpeggios! Those long A ones are a killer to get right. Very well played!

folkbluesnbeyond

• Respected Sage
    • Folkbluesnbeyond
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2019, 04:36:35 PM »

An 'unauthorised' version: A couple of times without repeats and with an out-take, (which I might prefer!) A challenge to play in first position minor key, (rarely explored by me in the past). The BbEb 'chocolate' box puts it into Gm.

The tune has grown on me since spending time with it, (but not sufficiently for double As and Bs to hold attention- perhaps to do with me rather than the tune). Still feels somewhat convoluted, but that may be the writer's style/intention.

https://youtu.be/XVOrE05Tkpk

All the best

Bill

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2019, 05:34:17 PM »

and here, again, with Blowzabella.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D9tl-c1yAw
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2019, 08:01:45 PM »

And this confirms bar 9 as Jack has it, but I confess I'll be playing slightly different notes. I'm replacing the A in that bar with a Bb (in G minor talk). It's how I first heard it (mis-heard it might be better said). But then again I also intend to change the rhythm a bit.
Still an unhappy man about the left hand, though this youtube version gives unequivocal bass notes.
I do like the tune.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

playandteach

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2019, 12:00:04 PM »

So here is that first playing of Origin of the World. In the spirit of uploading something whenever possible, and improving it if I have time (and skill). That way I can start to listen to the other recordings (which I'm loathe to do until I have an idea of how to play it for myself).
Switched video editor to photos in windows 10, but that doesn't let me reduce the original volume. Hopefully video quality will be better.

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2019, 09:02:30 PM »

Not sure about the chord for bar 4 of the B music, what do you think?

The video looks good, I wouldn't worry about reducing the original volume. If anything, I find people end up putting up videos that are too quiet, anyway. The volume seems good to me!

playandteach

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2019, 09:11:36 PM »

I think I was intending to play a G chord for the first two beats, then a D chord (this is in E minor on a GC box). I didn't like having a whole bar of D as it didn't get the upbeat across the bar properly without a chord change. I was playing it on the DG as I'm still in a quandry about the other box, whether it's the overpowering nature against the 2 voice, or the voicings of the chords I haven't decided.
The GC left hand feels more out of the way. I don't have third options on the GC, which might make the G chord a bit bare with a D in the tune too.
The other long term wish list would be extra bass notes (not necessarily chords). I know others have this option.
I'll go back and listen to my recording to see if I can hear it with fresh ears.

EDIT Just listened (and spotted a wrong note in the first arpeggio bar, whoops). It is the bareness of the chord - there are only 2 notes. I don't really mind this, but perhaps in the context of the min7th chords around it maybe I could add the B in the right hand.
EDIT Nope, that B sounded lame. I think the answer is to put a D (5th chord) in as you were probably expecting, and then using the A (5) chord to get me over the barline back to Em. All GC talk. I did think of putting it in DG talk too, but there are too many D and A chords jumping about the page.

Also noticed how stiff it is as a recording. I do notice that my knees seem to lock when I record.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 09:36:05 PM by playandteach »

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2019, 02:35:08 PM »

Hi Peeps,
OK, I've given this a go here....
https://soundcloud.com/thrupenny-bit/origin-of-the-world

Having fallen in love with this tune from seeing Andy Cutting lead it during a Blowzabella gig, I've been unable to somehow fit it onto my DG box. Paul Young's video, playing in Bm was the answer and I'm eternally grateful to him.
I've played it here on my BbEb Hohner Erika using the 'DG fingering for Bm' which from my calculations puts it in the key of Gm.
cheers
Q
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 02:40:08 PM by Thrupenny Bit »
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2019, 03:10:00 PM »

Hi Peeps,
OK, I've given this a go here....
https://soundcloud.com/thrupenny-bit/origin-of-the-world
Q

Nicely done, Q. That really sings out. I can tell you've been listening to Andy.
Greg Smith

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2019, 03:33:17 PM »

Aw thanks Greg.
Yes Andy's version is for me, simply sublime. Something to aspire to....
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Roland Carson

• Respected Sage
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2019, 03:37:31 PM »

Hi,
Here's a video we made of this a while ago...It's still a work we aspire to and no doubt we will play it more in the future because it is certainly a lovely mazurka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQjfNahg70I

Peter Savage

• Respected Sage
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2019, 04:47:18 PM »

I just sat down to record this and found that I couldn't play it as well as I used to be able to!  So here it is from last year in B-minor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PnUj0Xg5TE

Looking at Andy's recordings of this in G-minor (played on a C/F box, so A-minor in D/G speak), I think the harmonies perhaps work better playing it like that.  Having said that, the tune not as easy to play it in A-minor versus B-minor...(in my opinion anyway).
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 07:21:09 PM by Peter Savage »

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2019, 05:24:59 PM »

I just sat down to record this and found that I couldn't play it as well as I used to be able to!  So here it is from last year in B-minor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PnUj0Xg5TE&t=89s.   

And here's the link to the video without it starting right in the middle of the tune: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PnUj0Xg5TE

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2019, 01:37:49 PM »

Having just transposed the dots from the Blowza tune book to my current favourite key (Bm), predictably I find that the version I have always worked from differs quite a bit - notes, phrasing etc. And there are better chord possibilities, and easier fingering so definitely a lesson for me !
Now to relearn...
J
Old Bones Dance Band

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2019, 03:41:05 PM »

Here comes my approach to this tune. I do enjoy playing it so it will become part of my regular repertoire for sure.

https://soundcloud.com/laubblaeser/the-origin-of-the-world-take-1

Played in Em on my D/G Loffet with the repetition pattern AA BB AB A.
I've included a few hickups for you to spot while listening and also introduced a few variations which I personally find myself resorting to more often than playing the original notation.

To me this tune is a great pattern to improvise, change the rhythm, and add a bit of playfulness here and there - otherwise I don't want to play through it after one or two rounds. :)

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2019, 03:29:48 PM »

Revised:   Typos now fixed, thanks to Greg.  (The original E minor version had some majors and minors mixedup)

CHORDS

In case it helps other seekers after authenticity, here are the chords for G minor which  Dave S provided in "Blowzabella, More Scores".
It's one chord per bar, except two chords [minim, crotchet]  in  square bracketed bars.
I've transposed to E minor  and B minor further down the page.

G minor  from the book:

Gm  Eb  Cm  Bb     
Eb  Gm  Eb  F 
Cm  Bb  Eb   F   
[Gm F] Eb  F   Gm       

Gm  Bb  Cm  F 
Gm  Bb  Cm  F
Cm  Bb   Eb  F
[Gm F] Eb  F  Gm   

E minor

Em   C    Am    G
C     Em   C    D
Am    G     C    D
[Em D] C   D   Em

Em  G   Am   D
Em  G   Am   D
Am  G   C     D
[Em D] C   D  Em

B minor

Bm G  Em   D
G   Bm   G  A
Em  D    G  A 
[Bm A] G  A  Bm

Bm  D  Em  A
Bm  D  Em  A
Em  D   G   A
[Bm A] G  A  Bm
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 06:42:27 PM by Jackhumphreys »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal