Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for March 2019: Origin of the World  (Read 29195 times)

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
Re: Tune of the Month for March 2019: Origin of the World
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2019, 08:24:27 AM »

Is there any connection between this tune and Courbet's painting of the same name? I think we ought to know. But be warned - if you look it up the tune will  never be quite the same for you afterwards. Better or worse, I'm not sure, but different anyway.

I think there is. Did Dave Shepherd compose it after seeing the painting ?

J

I believe Dave wrote it as therapy to help him recover from the shock of seeing the painting.

I think I need to look at the painting to recover from the strain of recording the tune !

The tune has grown on me very much (even more after listening to Thoon's sublime version). It's a tune to stretch and learn by - just enough outside the comfort zone. And how to capture the spirit of the tune is the challenge, never mind the difficult phrases. I shall struggle on.

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2019, 08:44:27 AM »

Do we really need to keep referring to a picture of a lady's private parts? Or am I the only one who finds it superfluous (and in rather bad taste) on a forum which is dedicated to melodeons and melodeon stuff, as well as possibly being offensive to some of our female members?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2019, 09:05:43 AM »

Well done Julian!
Yes it's a tune that, for me, really got under my skin. I really love it. It will stay with me and therefore should improve with playing. I hope!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2019, 01:00:17 PM »

Or am I the only one who finds it superfluous (and in rather bad taste) on a forum which is dedicated to melodeons and melodeon stuff

Possibly yes.

as well as possibly being offensive to some of our female members?

Possibly no.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2019, 01:04:25 PM »

Well, thanks for that reassurance, Fred. Haha!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2019, 01:50:20 PM »

Well, thanks for that reassurance, Fred. Haha!

Never mind. Maybe learning the tune will help you cope with it's relationship to the picture.

I have actually got the A part going quite well. Now for the B.
I have noticed that Blowzabella's setting will work rather well in Em, on a two row with low notes. No need to go mining for the lowest notes. They don't do that. Well, not all of them.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 01:52:37 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Squeaky Pete

• Squeaky Pete
  • Re-hohn a Hohner
« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2019, 03:30:15 PM »

I haven't heard a one row version yet.
Poker work DG.
Pariselle 2.6 DG, Ex-Club IIIBS CF,
Matching Liliputs in CF and DG,
Lots of sickly Hohners needing TLC,
Bassoon, Various Bagpipes........

Thoon

« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2019, 04:57:55 PM »

Thanks for kind words from those who appreciate my version! See you soon! (:)

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2019, 07:00:15 PM »

It's always a pleasure to hear your playing, Thoon.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

howard mitchell

• Respected Sage
    • Howard Mitchell
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2019, 08:53:50 PM »

I haven't heard a one row version yet.

I’d been thinking about doing a one row version. Of course that means none of the left hand accompaniments are available and some of the arpeggios become even more difficult.

My plan was to use my Sagne in D with its alternate left hand which has a chromatic set of bass notes and no chords. However time has beaten me, I’m travelling from tomorrow for the rest of the month and although I’ve got the tune on the right hand, my brain capacity is not enough to keep up with a newly-learnt layout for the bass notes.

The tune just by itself seems a bit bare so I’ve added my planned bass sequence using a double bass and few piano arpeggios to fill in the chords.

The arpeggios in the tune require a bit of bellows work on a one row and the downward G arpeggio in thr B music is particularly spaced out and comes out a bit staccato because of the hand shifts. I could do better there with a bit more practice.

Here it is in Bm - https://youtu.be/t_Lg8UvFo7A

Mitch

Saltarelle D/G, Hohner D/G, Hohner C/F, Dallape C/F, Hohner A/D, Gaillard G/C, Sagne D, Roland FR18D, Hohner Bb/Eb.

playandteach

« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2019, 08:57:58 PM »

Sounds lovely.

Squeaky Pete

• Squeaky Pete
  • Re-hohn a Hohner
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2019, 11:13:11 PM »

That was great. I enjoyed that.
Poker work DG.
Pariselle 2.6 DG, Ex-Club IIIBS CF,
Matching Liliputs in CF and DG,
Lots of sickly Hohners needing TLC,
Bassoon, Various Bagpipes........

LoonBox

• Good talker
  • Minneapolis Minnesota 🇺🇸
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2019, 04:08:07 PM »

Here's mine.  https://youtu.be/Xxeac4iuDmY

I had to psyche myself up to make the video and got a bit nervous and shaky but I'm happy I could at least make it through.  Not that satisfied with it but I've got lots of other music to work on and have been playing this since mid February so I wanted to push part my discomfort and put something out there. I've been learning a lot from following along in the forum so here's my humble attempt and thanks to all you guys for creating such a welcoming community.

Edit to add I changed my user name to match the YouTube channel.
-Mia
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 04:32:16 PM by Loon Box »
My grandfather's 1930s GC Hohner Burlwood. AD Hohner Presswood. DG Pokerwork with 4th button start. CF Preciosa- 4th button and doubled fifths. Bunch of project boxes and an in progress tuning bench. Also fiddles.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2019, 04:32:22 PM »

Beautiful. If I knew how to do a mazurka, I could have danced to that.
I look forward to more, now you've broken the ice. (actually, 'melted' would be a better word in this case)
And how lucky to have inherited that fabulous box from your grandfather!
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2019, 04:34:34 PM »

I had to psyche myself up to make the video and got a bit nervous and shaky but I'm happy I could at least make it through.  Not that satisfied with it but I've got lots of other music to work on...

You have the long arpeggios in the B section down - many here have struggled with them. Even if there you feel it's wanting, the work you've been putting into the tune clearly shows through. Pushing through the fears and anxieties of performing, if even only to a camera, has yielded a lot of positive things for me so far, and I hope it offers you the same benefits.

Well done!

arty

« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2019, 09:24:49 PM »

Phew!!!

Stupidly, the first time through, I played the second part only once, so I played the whole thing through twice more as a kind of punishment  ???  Sorry if it goes on a bit - it's the best I can do at the moment. Lovely piece though!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5zXdml4CBg
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2019, 09:36:50 PM »

Pushing through the fears and anxieties of performing, if even only to a camera, has yielded a lot of positive things for me so far, and I hope it offers you the same benefits.

Yes indeed! I am really glad to have the Tune/Theme of the Month driving me to learn something to an approximation of "performance standard" each month. And there's a side benefit (although it might be reduced as I improve): It usually takes me a few dozen takes (many incomplete but some just annoyingly lacking in something or other) before I get something I'm satisfied enough with to call a keeper. So I guess I end up tricking myself into John Kirkpatrick's frequent recommendation of "play the same tune continuously for an hour". ;D It is certainly true that by the end of a recording session I always feel that I know the tune a lot better than when I started!

This month's tune is way outside my current abilities but it has been very inspiring to hear so many different interpretations. Many thanks to Clive and everyone who participates for keeping this going every month!
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2019, 11:35:19 PM »

Phew!!!

Stupidly, the first time through, I played the second part only once, so I played the whole thing through twice more as a kind of punishment  ???  Sorry if it goes on a bit - it's the best I can do at the moment. Lovely piece though!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5zXdml4CBg

Never apologise. You played the second part once through because that was how you saw the artistic direction of the tune going. Nicely held together. It's great when everything flows. Nice sound to that melodeon, as well.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2019, 12:22:15 AM »

Here's mine.

Splendid! You may be new to melodeon and fighting against nerves when recording but your musicianship is rock solid and the fluid rhythm you bring to the piece is sublime. I think your grandfather would be justifiably proud of you and delighted that his box has found such a good home. Keep up the good work!  ;D
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

playandteach

« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2019, 12:55:56 AM »

Here's mine.  https://youtu.be/Xxeac4iuDmY
-Mia
Hello, welcome, and well done indeed.
You should soon start to realise that there is nothing more admired here than newcomers with new voices. It's great to have you playing and contributing  already. You are clearly, as already noted, an experienced musician and I really look forward to another GC player making uploads. Seriously, well played.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal