Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for March 2019: Origin of the World  (Read 29204 times)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Re: Tune of the Month for March 2019: Origin of the World
« Reply #140 on: March 27, 2019, 02:40:46 PM »

Indeed, thats the beauty of it!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #141 on: March 27, 2019, 04:27:10 PM »

If I may pass comment on this....I feel, at least sometimes, that a Tune a Month is too many. Some tunes take far longer and deserve much more time to get under the fingers.

In addition to the wisdom already posted in response to this, let's remember that it's not a race against time and you can still post after the end of the designated month. Maybe we should be more encouraging about late postings.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #142 on: March 27, 2019, 05:04:55 PM »

I think that’s called improvisation.

One of my favorite quotes, possibly apocryphal:

"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Squeaky Pete

• Squeaky Pete
  • Re-hohn a Hohner
« Reply #143 on: March 27, 2019, 08:43:53 PM »

I'm enjoying this month's totm. It's not a tune I would have tried and I don't have the low notes on my box anyway.
I can appreciate the sound and the control on the one row (one of my favourites) and the smoothness of the big Italian boxes. There are certainly no disappointments.
One day I'll post my own contribution, but the only way I can record is on my phone, and have to confess it makes my pokerwork sound dreadful.
It's gratifying to hear some of the most impressive recordings took so many takes. It gives me hope.
Poker work DG.
Pariselle 2.6 DG, Ex-Club IIIBS CF,
Matching Liliputs in CF and DG,
Lots of sickly Hohners needing TLC,
Bassoon, Various Bagpipes........

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #144 on: March 27, 2019, 09:41:33 PM »

Just for the sake of those who don't get comments on their TOTM posts, I do listen to them all. Not always all the way through, but I do check everyone's out. Sometimes I'm listening for the box, sometimes the playing, sometimes to see how they are getting on, sometimes to admire - and never with the intent of disliking or looking for points to criticise.
The same with reading comments here, I try not to assume that someone is posting stuff I will just disagree with (before I've read it). I don't always get it right but when I think I've offended someone I've apologised.
This is a rare site, otherwise I wouldn't spend so much time here.

There is another saying: least said soonest mended - which I don't agree with even though I appreciate the intent.
I would rather say more (if you hadn't guessed) and back down if I've got it wrong.
Least said soonest mended would end up with a monastic feel.
Joke:
In a monastery with a vow of silence, the monks are allowed only one comment per year.
Year 1, Monk 1 says: I love it here but the porridge would be better with salt.
Year 2, Monk 2 says: I would rather have my porridge with sugar.
Year 3, Monk 3 says: I'm fed up with this constant bickering.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 07:32:54 AM by playandteach »
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Ransom

« Reply #145 on: March 30, 2019, 01:31:43 AM »

I liked this one, and I think I can just about play it now. =)

https://youtu.be/VyoX-43a0fQ

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #146 on: March 30, 2019, 01:43:26 AM »

You're well on your way!  Sounds good.
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #147 on: March 30, 2019, 01:51:42 AM »

Congratulations on getting such a nice recording under your belt. This is a tough tune to play and you have already gotten very far with it. One thing you could work on would be the transitions into the arpeggios. The rhythm is a bit off in these parts. Thanks for sharing this, it was really nice to listen to.

Just for the sake of those who don't get comments on their TOTM posts, I do listen to them all.

Just wanted to add that I also do this. I always listen to every single recording uploaded for TotM. Everyone on here, please keep on doing what you do. It's a pleasure to listen to your playing and I always find the time spent listening to your music to be thoroughly enjoyable.

Ransom

« Reply #148 on: March 30, 2019, 02:00:11 AM »

Congratulations on getting such a nice recording under your belt. This is a tough tune to play and you have already gotten very far with it. One thing you could work on would be the transitions into the arpeggios. The rhythm is a bit off in these parts. Thanks for sharing this, it was really nice to listen to.

I actually sat down and got three decent takes in fifteen minutes. So I do feel pretty encouraged. I think I did better on the rhythm into the arpeggios in one of my other takes, but it had some different flubs that you wouldn't have minded as much, but I didn't care for. =)

I tell you, on those arpeggios, it doesn't look like much, but it feels awfully clever when I use my thumb to play 'em!

LoonBox

• Good talker
  • Minneapolis Minnesota 🇺🇸
« Reply #149 on: March 30, 2019, 05:31:09 AM »

I tell you, on those arpeggios, it doesn't look like much, but it feels awfully clever when I use my thumb to play 'em!

Thanks for pointing that out, I had to watch it again. It's a clever way to do it. I just tried using my thumb for the first time to play the accidental in Jump the Sun. Also the first time I've used an accidental so it left me feeling pretty clever also. I'm just trying to get up to speed with all the possibilities.

You were doing some interesting left hand chords and rhythms that are beyond me for now but I can appreciate. It is neat to hear all the interpretations and to listen thoughtfully.  I'm encouraged and motivated by the kind responses here, very appreciative of the community.
My grandfather's 1930s GC Hohner Burlwood. AD Hohner Presswood. DG Pokerwork with 4th button start. CF Preciosa- 4th button and doubled fifths. Bunch of project boxes and an in progress tuning bench. Also fiddles.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #150 on: March 30, 2019, 11:52:04 AM »

One thing you could work on would be the transitions into the arpeggios. The rhythm is a bit off in these parts.

Fred is correct - what you have done Ransom is insert two extra beats in bar B8 by playing a long G (half-note or minim) before the upward run instead of starting the upward run on that G. You have thus succeeded in making a new, "crooked" version of the tune - a time-honoured tradition in my neck of the woods!

You'll see the problem if you count 1-2-3 all the way through the second part - as soon as the upward run begins we're off track. Fix that and you'll have a very creditable performance.

Edited to say long G (Am version)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 12:12:51 PM by Stiamh »

Ransom

« Reply #151 on: March 30, 2019, 02:11:59 PM »

You were doing some interesting left hand chords and rhythms that are beyond me for now but I can appreciate. It is neat to hear all the interpretations and to listen thoughtfully.  I'm encouraged and motivated by the kind responses here, very appreciative of the community.
I'm glad you like it. I remember it took a while for anything to come together, but now everything seems so natural that I can't recall what the problem ever was.

The long Press F in measure 14 of A and B was kind of surprising. (for G/D in Em: Press C).

I think one of the keys to success for this arrangement is to keep the bass very light in the first half of the A part. 1-3 and 5-7 are all drawing out, and if I use much left hand at all, my arm runs out before I can gather it back in on bar 8.

One thing you could work on would be the transitions into the arpeggios. The rhythm is a bit off in these parts.

Fred is correct - what you have done Ransom is insert two extra beats in bar B8 by playing a long G (half-note or minim) before the upward run instead of starting the upward run on that G. You have thus succeeded in making a new, "crooked" version of the tune - a time-honoured tradition in my neck of the woods!

You'll see the problem if you count 1-2-3 all the way through the second part - as soon as the upward run begins we're off track. Fix that and you'll have a very creditable performance.

Ohho! This was the explanation I needed to notice what you were talking about. Wow! How did I miss that? =)
What's happened, of course, is that B8 has picked up the first beat of the parallel phrase in B4. That might take some work to retrain...

Fortunately, no mazurka dancers were harmed during the production of this travesty. =P

LoonBox

• Good talker
  • Minneapolis Minnesota 🇺🇸
« Reply #152 on: March 31, 2019, 12:12:57 AM »

[quote author=Dick Rees link=topic=23601.msg281871#msg281871 date=1552332570

Edit for fingering:  Phrasing is more 4/2 rather than 3/3 with the index finger taking the fourth note in each bar.

a |
| e
| c
A |
| E
| C

g |
| d
| B
G |
| D
| B

f |
| c
| A
F |
| C
| A

I find the symmetry evens out the phrasing as well as making the shift of hand position a bit more ergonomic.
[/quote]

This is a nice way you found, both the fingering and notation. Thank you for posting the update.
My grandfather's 1930s GC Hohner Burlwood. AD Hohner Presswood. DG Pokerwork with 4th button start. CF Preciosa- 4th button and doubled fifths. Bunch of project boxes and an in progress tuning bench. Also fiddles.

Wolfgang

« Reply #153 on: March 31, 2019, 01:18:29 PM »

Here's my humble attempt. I was slightly hesitant to post after the discussion here. Anyway, its only one single playthrough so not really a proper recording and only one take and unprocessed with the in-camera mic, but not too bad considering the red light was on. It is also my first ever recording of the melodeon, I'm planning to get some more hopefully.

This piece is slightly out of my comfort Zone, I usually Play French stuff. But it was interesting to try and see how far I can get within a month.

Thanks for all your contributions on the forum. I get huge inspiration from you guys. I listen to all recordings here and I think the TOTM is a wonderful idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gP6SLZRW3U

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #154 on: March 31, 2019, 02:03:47 PM »

Very nicely done, Wolfgang. I assume when you say it's your first recording on the melodeon that you also play other instruments? And when you say you mainly play French music, is that for your own enjoyment or do you play with others?
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Wolfgang

« Reply #155 on: March 31, 2019, 03:03:39 PM »

Very nicely done, Wolfgang. I assume when you say it's your first recording on the melodeon that you also play other instruments? And when you say you mainly play French music, is that for your own enjoyment or do you play with others?

Thanks very much. I used to play classical guitar, but not anymore. For now, since I'm rather new to the instrument, I play only for myself. Maybe later I'll find someone to jam with :)

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #156 on: March 31, 2019, 04:53:03 PM »

Here's my humble attempt. I was slightly hesitant to post after the discussion here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gP6SLZRW3U

Thanks Wolfgang. I really liked your chording and gentle interpretation. It's a French style dance after all, so your French experience helps a lot.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #157 on: April 01, 2019, 08:48:39 AM »

Thank you all - great stuff this month; certainly more submissions than I expected. Keep it up! On to the next theme; late contributions gratefully received as ever - just post on the end of this thread.

Ellisteph

« Reply #158 on: April 19, 2019, 11:58:17 AM »

Okay I'm a slow learner. It was those damned arpeggios; still a hiccup on the last one but I think this is as good as I'm going to get. I found this tune challenging to learn but then that's just what TOTM should be IMHO.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZVJVBASxEo
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #159 on: April 19, 2019, 12:44:54 PM »

Okay I'm a slow learner. It was those damned arpeggios; still a hiccup on the last one but I think this is as good as I'm going to get. I found this tune challenging to learn but then that's just what TOTM should be IMHO.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZVJVBASxEo

Nicely done - box sounds great too.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal