Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Melnet Facebook?  (Read 5562 times)

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
Melnet Facebook?
« on: March 06, 2019, 03:17:29 PM »

Why is there a Melnet Facebook page? (Where there are obviously melodeon.net things which are unavailable to those of us who don't wish to be associated with such an unsavoury organisation.)
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
Re: Melnet Facebook?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 03:33:11 PM »

Because some people like to use Facebook (not understandable to me but hey, who am I to judge).

I'd personally also prefer for others to discuss on here so I can read their thoughts and chime in whenever I feel the need to. However, I do understand that it's up to their own which platform they prefer for the discussion of melodeon related topics.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 03:38:02 PM »

As Fred says.

I’ll just add that the melnet Facebook page is not an official extension of this forum.  It was set up and is run independently.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 03:46:45 PM »

Because there is, and it has some advantages inasmuch as it is easier to post pictures, and more of them, at one time. They are complementary, and neither is any threat to the other. Different strokes for different folks.

Long live the Luddites  >:E >:E >:E >:E

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 03:58:26 PM »

Because there is, and it has some advantages inasmuch as it is easier to post pictures, and more of them, at one time.

That is indeed a problem that should be adressed rather sooner than later. A new forum software might indeed be timely and if I remember correctly this topic has been brought up in the recent past. We should actually try to migrate the forum to some kind of newer architecture so that basic features like uploading pictures aren't a problem anymore.

They are complementary, and neither is any threat to the other.

No, they are absolutely not complementary. Facebook is not an open platform at all and does not have any interest in collaborating with smaller platforms (like this forum) through open communication standards or through transfer of data. Extensive use of a facebook group and declining use of this forum will result in the death of independent platforms on the internet. Extensive use of facebook is indeed a threat to this forum.

Now let's not dive into this matter any further. I'm here to discuss music and melodeons - and not issues of digitalisation.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 04:17:55 PM »

It does have it's uses.
A little while ago when this site went wobbly, the fb page could keep you informed as to what was going on here.
It has it's uses.
Q
A very infrequent fb user.
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 04:43:10 PM »

I didn't know there was a Melnet Facebook page. Now that I do, it won't make the slightest difference.  If there's a demand for it, fine, and good luck to all who sail in her. I know a lot of people spend a lot of time on FB, so clearly it serves a purpose.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 04:55:56 PM »

They are EVIL >:E. Do I refer to Facebook or melodeon  :|||:  it depends on your starting point. Long live a free Web :M
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 05:50:13 PM »

Oh dear. It has been going for a while. It's handy when people can't get on here or the server is down, to spread the news.

It doesn't bite. It's not trying to take over the world. It exists alongside this forum, with a understanding that this forum is irreplaceable, and IIRC has actually referred a number of people to this very forum as a source of advice and support. MAD exists there also.
If not complementary, it is supplementary. The content is not the platform.

People discuss melodeons there, too. And some of them - probably most of them - are here as well.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

fc diato

• Regular debater
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 05:59:06 PM »

No objections here to a supplementary FB page, but...

I, for one, wish to express my gratitude to the forum moderators/guides/bosses/spirits & guides  for the decision to remain an off-FB forum.  FB might be picture-friendly, but for some reason not always exchange-friendly. I noticed this when a forum in another language migrated from Yahoo to FB. I reluctantly followed. Contributions became shorter, less generous, less helpful, and threads less substantive. In spite of all of FB's self-promotion, it seems the format is less conducive to substantive, respectful conversation than a format such as this one.
fc diato

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 06:02:37 PM »

I think Malcolm has it in a nutshell.....
Q

As I type.... I agree with diato.
I'm glad this hasn't migrated wholeheartedly to fb as it means it's far more civilised for me here.
I'm pleased the Feb page is supplementary.
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 06:21:28 PM »

Long live the Luddites  >:E >:E >:E >:E

SJ

We modern day Druids and Neo-Luddites have long since felt a disturbance in The Force.  Arise ye Knights of the Melodeon.  "They can take our Internet but they canna take our Freedom!"
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 06:55:19 PM »

I might add, that there is a product available called Fluff Busting (FB) Purity, which removes all the adverts, and enables the removal of many features that are of no use to most people. Making FB quite usable.

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2019, 09:54:14 PM »

I gave up in disgust with trying to join FB when I discovered I'd have to use a fictitious name because of the way they implement their "real names only" policy.
There are other, well known, good reasons to keep away from it.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 10:17:12 PM »

I have no real profile on Facebook, and only use it for accessing groups (including a lot of work related groups, Edexcel - the exam board - have several forums to unpick their latest syllabuses) [I couldn't bring myself to write: fora and syllabi].
I turn down all friend requests, many from ex-students, and post nothing about myself. I don't check out recommended links, or check other people's likes, so I'm as on the fringe as I can be, whilst using it more than I intended.

I have lots of colleagues (who are real life friends) that I get notices about (as they are in the same groups) but I don't want to see their holiday snaps, or how wonderful their kids are. I do believe that it is partially responsible for much of the increase in dissatisfaction I see with young people, whose real lives can't compete with the air-brushed lives they look at hourly.
I do find it scary how 'insightful' it can be about people I might know, considering how little info I share.
I find it's most useful for signing in to other secure sites quickly (sign-in-with-Facebook seems to be an increasingly common option). There are several groups that I like to check out, including a North East cycle group, CDNE.
I can't imagine that melodeon.net would be anything like the same - there's a lot of trolling even in the good-natured groups.
Having said all that, I'm off to the pub, which is of course an activity fraught with its own dangers. Moderation has never been harder.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2019, 11:13:18 PM »

I created the Facebook group at a time when the forum was prone to suddenly going off line for a while (this was quite a while ago when the forum was using other servers). It was there so members could check in and find out if the forum was offline or their browser/'puter was playing up. It took nearly a year to get to fifty members if I remember correctly but there things tend to grow exponentially.

I was never intended to be an alternative place for discussion, a Facefook group is in fact a hopeless place for a themed conversation beyond a quick question and answer session before it disappears under a flood of new posts. The Melnet group isn't quite at the stage yet but it's getting there. One day I may vapourise it and start again with membership only available by PM application on this forum, or perhaps I'll vapourise it and leave it to someone else to replace it - or not!
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2019, 11:40:01 PM »

Nice to see that put in context, which is as a solution to a problem most of us didn't know about. I don't know if any of you reading this know the Stanley Holloway 'Brown Boots'.
It's a worthy tale.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2019, 12:20:34 AM »

I noticed it a while back and had a scoot through, assumed it was part and parcel of Melnet (TM) (R) (C) - having seen a number of boxes advertised which did not appear to have been advertised here raised the query if it was a two level operation, which Theo has made crystal clear, I hope those selling Melodea there do the decent thing, otherwise there is already a direct impact on the funding and therefore future proofing of the TRUE Melnet platform.

Keep the flag flying Theo & Clive and FB Melnetters, if it's free, YOU are the product which makes the profits, remember Photobucket and the vanished images of many.
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2019, 08:14:31 AM »

Thanks Pete, we now know!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal