Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Melnet Facebook?  (Read 5563 times)

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
Re: Melnet Facebook?
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2019, 08:39:51 AM »

"I created the Facebook group at a time when the forum was prone to suddenly going off line for a while"

Well, that  certainly answers my question, Pete, and thanks for it! As for use in an emergency (well, should anything melodeon related really qualify as an emergency?) it sounds like an ideal solution. My gripe with it is probably purely personal, then; and therefore not really worthy of further discussion on here.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2019, 10:50:58 AM »

To me facebook and forums like this perform really different functions. A forum like this gives room to indepth discussions, which are good to follow by quotations. And they are for everyone to find back too. Lots of information can be found here. Facebook sucks for stuff like that. It's impossible to find anything back that was written over a week ago, and discussions lack depth and often end up in shouting.

But for interaction with the rest of the world. Like promotion for an event, for letting non-folkies listen to beautiful music etc this forum is quite useless, and facebook is pretty valuable. Way easier to let your friends and family know what you are up to, show them where they need to be etc etc. All with just one or two clicks/shares/likes.

Anyway, my take,cheers,
W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2019, 01:19:44 PM »

It all started in this thread. Yes, it really has been there for seven and a half years!

Edited because I can't count!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 03:02:52 PM by Pete Dunk »
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2019, 01:55:47 PM »

Blimey! Well, I think that says it all. If it's been ticking over for 8 1/2 years and no one's noticed, why all the fuss now?
There's always people who are avid facebookers whereas others can't abide facebook.
We're all different!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

ju

• Regular debater
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2019, 02:04:19 PM »

If anyone would like to print their own badge and wear it proudly , feel free 🤭😇

mory

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2019, 02:30:26 PM »

Quote "Facebook sucks for stuff like that. It's impossible to find anything back that was written over a week ago"
Actually (and certainly not in defence of FB) before Peter posted about starting the group on FB I went through posts all the way back to 2011 and was able to see when he started it, were any posts lost? I don't know, but there was definitely a wealth of posts on there from then until the present. AtB mory

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2019, 03:07:08 PM »

"why all the fuss now?"
Simply because someone has their "for sale" pictures available on the facebook page, and I cannot view them.

Mind you, although I don't like them, I hear that the facebook shoe shop empire is growing apace!

mory

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2019, 03:51:26 PM »

Thought about joining but I'd have to use my real name of Edward Jennings  ;D AtB mory

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2019, 03:54:55 PM »

You could always try Eric Blair, I suppose

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2019, 04:10:31 PM »

I say chaps ;D
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Gary

• Respected Sage
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2019, 12:23:46 PM »

Its ok, really ok to have choices. Fbook has some issues but not much that cannot be side stepped. Heck I get old fashioned paper mailshots and the journey to the re cycling bin is easy. As for privacy and facebook, well its not bad to know that others might know and what others know might not be about you and anyway privacy is perhaps only for a tiny few practical.
Good to have an established back up.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2019, 02:53:00 PM »

Choices are fine, Gary. The more the merrier! However, when you're selling on Gumtree, you wouldn't have your pictures on eBay, would you? Especially if your target market was in a country where eBay doesn't reach.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2019, 03:04:24 PM »

It does seem that some members have difficulty with re-sizing images to fit with our maximum size of 400kb per image.  Its not only to conserve file space on our server, but its also an advantage to members viewing images where a full size image from a modern camera or phone can be very large it uses up data allowance unnecessarily, and can also take up an inconveniently large amount of screen size.

There is some advice in the FAQs in the support forum, but that takes a bit of effort to find.  A good solution would be if the forum software could automatically re-size photos.  I don't know if this is possible, but Clive might find a method.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2019, 03:34:58 PM »

(Writing this while Theo was posting so we've said the same thing)

Well, realistically the main issue with that is that if I take a single photo with my smart phone, the file is like 3.6 megabytes, which is almost 10 times larger than the individual file limit on this forum for attachments of 400kb. If I was selling an instrument, I'd want to share like 6-10 photos of the instrument.

If I want to paste those images to facebook or etc, I can just select all those raw images from my hard drive and facebook sorts out the rest. It's real easy.

Or, I can make half a dozen posts on mel net, after messing around with each photo trying to reframe it to keep only the instrment in view, scale the image down so it's a lower resolution, and then play with the jpeg quality level to try and maintain a high enough quality to convey the thing I was taking a photo of without also hiding the context of whatever the reason was I took the photo. Posting them on mel net, it's a lot more work, and people struggle to get it to work well - I've seen a lot of weird low quality photos that met the file requirements but looked like awful green messes.

The reality is, if you have image files served to people across the internet, it increases web traffic a lot - you can only see attachments when signed in to stop bots and random internet traffic from effectively increasing bandwidth costs. Forum posts pages are tiny things by comparison. Mel net's business though is not really in serving photos to people, but, it is a core element of eg ebay and facebook. They've got their ducks in a row to crush those images down as needed and serving those images to people, so, they don't notice any real problems. For example, I pulled a photo I took off that I'd posted to Facebook, and it was now less than 100k. But on inspection, it also looked like crap. But it's facebook, where a large amount of its uses are just blogging about whatever is going on in their perfect life, so, no one really cares about this detail. On ebay, they allow a much larger file size for their images, and thus resolution and quality, as they both serve fewer of them and they are intrinsic to the transaction taking place.

So, a lot of people used to just use photobucket for everything, and didn't really realise how things on the internet can be ephemeral. Businesses have to make money, and being everyone's image host isn't exactly a profitable venture as you pay for all the bandwidth and no one goes to your website any more. If they don't go to your website, you don't have anyone to advertise at anymore, so, you can see why photobucket may have run into trouble. When companies provide you a free service like this, they are often still looking to make money from your existence somehow, be it through ads, or selling information about its users to advertisers (or anyone who asks, really) - data on people and how people use websites is big business now.

Selling a melodeon is usually a pretty temporary though, and I think it would be fine to use whatever the image serving website of our generation would be to post your nice bulky images. These will usually scale your images down as well.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2019, 03:54:46 PM »

"the image serving website of our generation"

Maybe that's where I'm going wrong? I'm pretty conservative in most things, like doing things myself if I possibly can, could that be a generational trait?

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2019, 04:04:15 PM »

You can easily scale down your images.  If you have a Mac then the Photos app will do it.   I'm sure Windows must have something similar.  There are websites that offer free image reduction, just search online for 'resize image' and you can find several. 

All these tools are simple to use, but some members find it too technical.  FB, Ebay and other big name websites build it in to their service, so we've tended to become a bit lazy.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2019, 04:11:34 PM »

Right click on the photo, click Open With, select paint. among the options listed above the photo is Resize, click on that, and it will come up with a couple of boxes with the actual size of your photo shown. Above that is a couple of options, select the one that says Pixels. Highlight and delete the figure in the bottom of the two size boxes, and type in 400, click OK, and that's all. save the altered image, remember where it has gone to, and Robert is your mother's brother

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2019, 04:18:57 PM »

"the image serving website of our generation"

Maybe that's where I'm going wrong? I'm pretty conservative in most things, like doing things myself if I possibly can, could that be a generational trait?

Well, that may be, but, I'm afraid it's a joke referring to the many image sharing websites that have risen and fallen over the life of the internet, as well as those that are still running but have moved from the 'everything is free forever!' to 'ok you have to pay us now...'.

I use imgur.

You can easily scale down your images.

Well, yes, you can, but even if you know what you're doing, I do find preserving the thing I had hoped to relate can be difficult, especially if you want to use all 4 attachments. I found it fairly challenging to do the images for this thread, as I felt they often had a lot of sharp lines and contrast, and the detail was all very important. I didn't want to just give a general impression of what the thing looked like, covered with jpeg artefacts when you zoomed in. If I were selling an instrument, I'd have the same concerns, I'd think. (edit, for example, this is one of the original images https://i.imgur.com/iDjfa1f.jpg. It would be easier if my tools for saving jpegs had a way to target file size instead of just asking me what quality I want.

However, the point that we're all agreeing on / alluding to is that, the reason someone might post all their photos on facebook is that it's just a lot easier / they know how to do it / they're used to it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 04:33:40 PM by Gena Crisman »

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2019, 04:43:02 PM »

Resizing images after they gave been uploaded is certainly possible. I've done it with Imagick, which is a PHP library (which means it's in the same programming language as this forum). Whether it can be integrated into the attachment posting mechanism... I wouldn't know.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

mory

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2019, 04:57:44 PM »

I wonder if it's possible to down size written posts in the same way? Say from 30 lines to 3 that would save space or do people think the clarity would be lost? Just saying  ::)  :||: AtB mory
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal