Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Favourite Slow Airs?  (Read 30348 times)

HallelujahAl

Favourite Slow Airs?
« on: September 07, 2009, 09:00:36 PM »

I'm a sucker for a slow air...and looking to add to my (small) collection. My favourite at the moment is 'Culloden' by Fergie MacDonald. What's yours?
AL

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
Re: Favourite Slow Airs?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 09:45:58 PM »

Track 6 on this one?

http://www.allcelticmusic.com/music/fbc5e5f2-d975-102a-b8f3-000f1f67beb1/Kings_of_the_Button_Keyed_Box.html

don't suppose you have the dots Al ?  (I'll wager a drink that Bill has them ;))
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

HallelujahAl

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 09:55:57 PM »

Yes that's it!
AL

xgx

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 10:08:02 PM »

Graham

xgx

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 10:24:31 PM »

Planxty Irwin....... Dark Island..... and more.... luv 'em all.......

Graham

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 11:06:54 PM »

Track 6 on this one?

http://www.allcelticmusic.com/music/fbc5e5f2-d975-102a-b8f3-000f1f67beb1/Kings_of_the_Button_Keyed_Box.html

don't suppose you have the dots Al ?  (I'll wager a drink that Bill has them ;))
Would I let you down? Luckily I have the CD and was able to get the tune title - Iain Rhuaidh's Lament, or Lament for Red Iain. I also have it in D as a Gaelic song.
The Peter Morrison song seems to be a different one.

xgx

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 11:11:29 PM »

The Peter Morrison song seems to be a different one.

to my finely tuned ears ........they all sound the same :P

(Thanks Bill!)
Graham

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 11:18:46 PM »

I still rather like Ashcan Farwell.  (:)
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 12:05:47 AM »

I really like Red Kites. (think that is a slow air)

cheers

Sandy
 (:)

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 12:30:44 AM »

The Banks of Sullane. (Jackie Daly - Ossian Publications OSS CD 30 - track 11)
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 01:07:12 AM »

The slow airs I play most frequently (and therefore - presumably - the ones I like most) are, in no particular order,
Dark Island
Ashokan Farewell
Stilta (a Finnish tune that Julian Sutton included in the music for Melodeons at Witney 2008)
In Dreams (aka the Hobbit theme from Lord of the Rings)
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 07:23:23 AM »

Dark Island
yes - that's pretty high up on my list too - nary a day goes by without me playing that on my D/G. Am trying to get it right on my Trichord so that I can modulate the tune and include a key change for the final time through.
AL

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 07:42:16 AM »

Leafield Morris Shepherd's Hey "signposts" played solo instrument

That would be Field Town Shepherd's Hey ten, none of your new fangled names near sonny.  :P

Slow air, I like L'Inconnue de Limoise

X: 187
T:L'Inconnue de Limoise
M:9/8
K:G
D G2 A|B3 -B2 G c2 A|B3 -B2 B c2 d|c3 -c2 B A2 G|D3 -D2 D G2 A|
B3 -B2 G c2 A|B3 -B2 B c2 d|c3 -c2 B A2 G|A3 -A2||
B c2 d|e3 g2 f e2 f|d3 -d2 c B2 A|G2 F G2 B A2 G|
D6 G2 F|E3 -E2 F G2 A|G3 F3 E3|F3 -F2 G A2 B|A3 -A2||

HallelujahAl

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 08:36:27 AM »

L'Inconnue de Limoise
Beautiful tune

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 10:55:56 AM »

L'Inconnue de Limoise
Beautiful tune

It even has a nice back story - copied from The Session site:

The name (The Stranger From Limoise) has a story behind it, as you might guess. When they were doing some roadworks, or demolition, or moving a graveyard, or something like that in Limoise they came across a grave containing both a skeleton and the remains of a set of pipes. The grave was un-named, so the identity of the piper was unknown, but the story caught the imagination of the French folk world and M Heintzen penned the tune in the piper's honour

HallelujahAl

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 11:11:01 AM »

It even has a nice back story
This is marvellous stuff - nothing better than a beautiful tune and a good tale to go with it! I think one of the reasons I like Fergie Macdonald's 'Culloden' is that one of his ancestors actually managed to survive the slaughter at that particular point in history - so there's a kind of poignancy about it.
AL

mikesamwild

• Melodeon, Button Accordion, Anglo Concertina
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 11:22:24 AM »

Her Mantle So Green.  Minor tune -Jackie Daly did it and Margaret Barry sang it amongst others
I also love the tune Miss Hamilton  which was composed by Cornelius Lyons (it's his only written down tune), harper pal of Carolan. John Williams conc and accordion wiz plays it

A lot of Jigs make nice airs and waltzes like The Boat Band's 'Westmoreland' from Playford I think
Mike in Sheffield

If music be the food of love -who finds the time?

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 12:38:08 PM »

L'Inconnue de Limoise
Beautiful tune
The name (The Stranger From Limoise) has a story behind it, as you might guess. When they were doing some roadworks, or demolition, or moving a graveyard, or something like that in Limoise they came across a grave containing both a skeleton and the remains of a set of pipes. The grave was un-named, so the identity of the piper was unknown, but the story caught the imagination of the French folk world and M Heintzen penned the tune in the piper's honour

I agree that it's a beautiful tune. I learnt it from Emmanuel Pariselle, but as a waltz rather than a slow air, which I pair with Michael Turner's Waltz. Emmanuelle told the back story differently. He said that a redevelopment was taking place in Limoise that involved moving the graves from an old cemetery to a new location. In the process of moving them, the bones got mixed up so that nobody knew which skeleton was which. There was a public outcry in France over this and Maxou Heintzen wrote the tune to commemorate the incident. L'Inconnue in this context means 'unknown' because the identities of the remains are no longer known.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 02:30:32 PM »

Quote from: Lester
Slow air, I like L'Inconnue de Limoise

The French being French (and Maxu being Maxu!) the feminine form inconnue will mean something too.  Corps cadavre and squelette are masculine. I visited the Ossuary at Douaumont on the way back. There all the corpses are unknown, the bones are sorted more or less anatomically (everyone should go there once IMO).

One translation would be 'the unknown woman', but context is all in French and we don't have much. Anyone know?
  _       _    _      _ 

waltzman

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 06:01:39 PM »

L'Inconnue de Limoise
Beautiful tune

I agree that it's a beautiful tune. I learnt it from Emmanuel Pariselle, but as a waltz rather than a slow air, which I pair with Michael Turner's Waltz. Emmanuelle told the back story differently. He said that a redevelopment was taking place in Limoise that involved moving the graves from an old cemetery to a new location. In the process of moving them, the bones got mixed up so that nobody knew which skeleton was which. There was a public outcry in France over this and Maxou Heintzen wrote the tune to commemorate the incident. L'Inconnue in this context means 'unknown' because the identities of the remains are no longer known.

Beautiful tune.  I learned it as a mazurka.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal