Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Favourite Slow Airs?  (Read 30334 times)

Dazbo

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Danger MAD Here!
    • My YouTube Channel for melodeons, morris and folk in general
Re: Favourite Slow Airs?
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2009, 01:25:53 PM »

I was going to nominate Bonny At Morn till Steve got there first.  Another (from Brian Peters too) is The Moving Moon (I think ???).  A new one I've just started dabbling with is You've got To Hide Your Love Away by some bloke(s) from a few miles west of Manchester.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 01:36:42 PM by Dazbo »
Ciao Bellow

Darren

Keithypete.

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2009, 01:26:53 PM »

The old resting chair - which I think is an air - was one of the first tunes I learnt to play on the B/C. Its a lovely tune, and fantastic if you can get someone to accompany you on the cello. Just got to grips with the Culloden at the front of this post. Another lovely tune.
Beltuna Sara II - B/C flavour.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2009, 01:45:23 PM »

The main theme from Jean Michel Jarre's 'Fishing Junks at Sunset' fits rather better on a 2 row than you'd expect... without all the frilly parts of course  ;D

pbsalt

• Respected Sage
  • Location NE Fife
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2009, 06:04:07 PM »

[quote]Northern Lass - any idea where I could get to hear this tune?[/quote]
Besides it being on Brian Peter's 'Anglophilia - which I'd forgotten about it's on The Beggar Boy of the North  Greg Stephens  & Crookfinger Jack  HARCD 051 & and if you'll find an abc version at www.andyhornby.net  - although this is basically in Am  whereas I play it in Em.   
Paul
Location NE Fife

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2009, 08:03:36 PM »

I was going to nominate Bonny At Morn till Steve got there first.

Sorry - it'll always be a song for me. I find it difficult even to play it as 'music', despite knowing it backwards. Beautiful, any fashion.

I've aways sung it absolutely free (seeking to get back on this thread ..) and have found it difficult to conceal my horror when folk club audiences joined its chorus in the style of 'Nellie the Elephant'

Canny at night,   Bonny at morn
    Thou's o'er lang in thy bed,
                            Bonny at morn.
  _       _    _      _ 

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2009, 11:40:49 AM »

Remember Anne Briggs' version?
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2009, 01:46:04 PM »

Remember Anne Briggs' version?

No. We booked her at Cambridge St Lawrence FC in the 70's, and she was deeply into Irish stuff. Then she sort of disappeared.

I really can't remember who I first got B@m from. Possibly the book itself. Northumbian Minstelsey was the first book I got out on Newcastle library when I moved there.  But I must have heard someone do it while I'd lived as a spotted youth in Darlington.  Had a very active folk scene, with 8 clubs available weekly if you included the surrounding villages.

The only melodeonist about was Dave Wood, the EFDSS agent. Anyone know what happened to him? He "sort of disappeared"!
  _       _    _      _ 

HallelujahAl

« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2009, 04:43:11 PM »

The Best at the moment is Phil Cunningham's 'A Bright Star in Cepheus' written by Phil and played by Aly Bain here. It is the most beautiful and soulful piece of music that I have ever heard. Please listen to it if you can.
AL

Bocsa

• Good talker
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2009, 05:39:42 PM »

mikesamwild

• Melodeon, Button Accordion, Anglo Concertina
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2009, 05:59:02 PM »

The Best at the moment is Phil Cunningham's 'A Bright Star in Cepheus' written by Phil and played by Aly Bain here. It is the most beautiful and soulful piece of music that I have ever heard. Please listen to it if you can.
AL

Very moving! He composed it for his brother Johnny, the fiddler, who died tragically young
Mike in Sheffield

If music be the food of love -who finds the time?

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2009, 11:54:30 AM »

I have just been playing through a few slow airs and when I came to In Dreams I couldn't stop smiling because it is such a beautiful tune. For anyone not familiar with it, Howard Shore wrote it as the main hobbit theme in the film music for Lord of the Rings. There is another hobbit theme, called Concerning Hobbits, but it is not as nice, in my opinion, as In Dreams. Anyone who was in the session in the Rugby Club at Sidmouth hosted by Saul Rose and Maclaine Colston may remember Maclaine playing it in a set along with The History Man.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Keithypete.

« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2009, 12:07:12 PM »

Do you have the dots for In Dreams? I'd love to give it a go.
Beltuna Sara II - B/C flavour.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2009, 12:34:07 PM »

Do you have the dots for In Dreams? I'd love to give it a go.

This is my arrangement of In Dreams for the melodeon. The melody line is fairly faithful to Howard Shore's film score apart from the key change (it was written in E flat modulating to F) and the resultant alteration in the basses to those I have on my three-row box that fit the tune in the altered keys. The fingering is arranged so that there are runs on the push and on the pull to enable the basses to be droned using only the chords. Of course, your melodeon(s) will probably not have the same accidentals in the same places as mine or the D on the pull and the E on the push on the A row, so you will have to find your own way round that problem. However, it is worth it.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Ada

« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2009, 03:37:09 PM »

Long-time favourite is 'The Wounded Hussar', 'specially as played by Tony MacMahon - stunning.

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2009, 05:29:16 PM »

At the moment? Les Poules Huppees.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

DanCeekey

« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2009, 05:37:48 PM »

AL

Very moving! He composed it for his brother Johnny, the fiddler, who died tragically young

I totally agree. This is a composition of an unearthly beauty. Here is a YouTube-video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDLtLwqu58I. Check it out.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2009, 05:15:23 PM »

Currently I'm going for Ashokan Farewell, despite the fact that I have to fudge some of the bottom notes! i'm going to give "Bonnie" a go though!
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2009, 07:50:19 PM »

Two of my favorites are
Flowers of the Forest , a pipe tune If my memory serves me and  Tony McMahon plays a lovely slow version of 
My Dear Irish Boy on his Traditional Irish Accordion Album
Hohner's, Paolo Soprani red 4 voice, Paddy Clancy Celtic

NeilA

• Regular debater
  • Nuage C#D, Yvus Pyrenees DG, Hohner Preciosa EbBb,
    • youtube channel
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2009, 09:54:04 PM »

One of my favourite slow airs on the smallpipes is The Fair maid of Barra. I've still to try it on the DBA. Not sure if it will translate well.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2009, 10:14:51 PM »

Currently I'm going for Ashokan Farewell, despite the fact that I have to fudge some of the bottom notes!

Ashokan Farewell is such a beautiful tune, capable of being played with so much expressed emotion! However, I rarely play it in sessions because I like to play it as Jay Ungar originally wrote it, which involves going down to a low A (when played in D) on two occasions in the last four bars. Every time I introduce it in a session, I get drowned out by people going up high in the last few bars, which I find annoying because I think it sounds better as it was originally written. It is also bad manners not to follow the person who introduced the tune.

Grump over!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal