Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Helper row after declubbing.  (Read 812 times)

Mark Leue

• Regular debater
Helper row after declubbing.
« on: March 14, 2019, 12:36:23 AM »

While my pokerwork is getting worked on at "the Button Box" I've been trying to play my club system Lilliput CG.
I looked at the layout, and I have all the reeds I need by stealing some from the helper row, at least as far as I can tell.
Not being concerned at the moment with the highest and lowest buttons on the C row, it looks like what really needs to happen is add the d note on the pull button that is now C/C and then fix the bass chord and bass button to the inside right which will transform the Eb bass and chord to Bb's. All those notes are up in the helper row, luckily.
Is there a logical/ helpful thing to do with that row after I'm done plundering it for booty? I don't mind tuning a reed or two up or down a half step, so it seems like I have quite a few options...
Oh wait... I  guess I won't have the bass reed (s?) note for Bb... Anyone have spares that will fit my box?

Addendum: on closer examination I see I have been looking at the chart for a seven button helper row and mine is five!  missing more notes than I realized.  Maybe I need to find a junk Imperial to scavenge for reeds. Those imperials seem to come in different sizes regardless of model designation (I II etc) and its often hard to get the scale when looking at a photo on ebay.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 01:06:10 AM by Mark Leue »

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Helper row after declubbing.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 08:18:20 AM »

I usually do all those changes by retuning the existing reeds.  And I’m not sure if you are considering the following:
1 the push and pull reeds for one button are in the same reed plate, so you can’t move one without the other.
2. Which octave the left side chords are
3 how the left side chords are voiced
4 how the hairs of push and pull reeds are arranged in the chords
5the physical size of the reeds.

Im guessing from your description that you don’t have much experience working with reeds??  If that is the case then I think your first step should not be to learn on a Liliput where the reeds are scarce and their small size makes it easier to cause irreparable damage.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Mark Leue

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 09:44:35 AM »

Hi Theo,

Yes, all that.  Thanks very much.  So much to learn! I obviously need to go pester my melodeon man more often, so glad I have one nearby, they are far between here in the US.
But while I have your attention, I was advised retuning reeds is only practical for 1/2 step or so.  Surely that bass side is going to be an issue changing out the Eb?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 10:00:19 AM by Mark Leue »

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 10:43:36 AM »

Hello Mark.

Do you mind if I ask, what are looking to achieve with your retuning? I expect I am being dim, but don't see you saying why you want to change it.

Sounds like the button box is a good place to go to get the work done, though.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Mark Leue

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 11:11:27 AM »

Id like it to have the same arrangement as a normal two row if possible. Don't mind extra notes as long as they aren't in my way!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 03:58:53 PM »

Limiting re-pitching of a reed tongue to a 1/2 step is a good rule of thumb, but with a bit of experience on some reeds you can go further, and it’s often possible to go up but not down or down but not up in pitch.

Starting with the club bass.
Both the BbEb bass reeds will usually have the Eb pitched lower of the two and will have a big chunk ofcyhe free end of the reed the full thickness of the reed stock, as shown by the blue surface.  There may also be a brass weight soldered to the tip of the low bass Eb.  You can file a lot if metal off there quite safely.  You will need a very sharp, good quality hand file, and a lot of patience.
The EbBb chords are usually paired as follows:
Push/pull:
  Bb/Bb. This needs no change
Eb/D tune Eb down to D by loading the tip of the reed with solder.
G/F tune G down to F same way.

When loading reeds apply more solder then file the solder off to get the pitch back to where you want it. Use an old or cheap file because it will get clogged with solder.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Mark Leue

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 04:30:36 PM »

Great ideas, Theo.
It really helps to have knowledge about what can be done, even though I have no intention on taking on anything that difficult anytime soon. This way I and my melodeon guru can understand together what options there are while we work through the project.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal