Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ROLAND FR18 REPROGRAMMING  (Read 1043 times)

Doug Watt

• Good talker
ROLAND FR18 REPROGRAMMING
« on: March 15, 2019, 05:09:00 PM »

Hello,

Chris Brimley kindly sent me a RDKC.XML file which is the text file that you stick into your FR18 to reprogram the buttons to new pitches. I carefully deduced what the numbers meant in this text file in terms of absolute pitches based on his onw FR18 layout then edited them to upload a Handry G/D/A layout. I must have been on the right track generally because it did play arpeggios on the main pushes and pulls but it all seemed to come out G#/C#/F# or similar with some not quite right intervals on the usual fright hand fingerings. It is quite possible that the file that Chris sent me was not actually the text version of his FR18 layout as he found the file lurking in the recesses of his computer.

So, does anyone out there have the RDKC file for the factory settings of an FR18? If so, I should be able to deduce what pitches relate to the factory-set pitches and then amend them to the Handry pitches. My own FR18 was sent out from the factory with a G/C/F right hand side (these scales moving from the hand into the bellows). I assume they all were?

Better still, has anyone got a Handry G/D/A text file already coded!  ;D

cheers Doug Watt

Chris Brimley

Re: ROLAND FR18 REPROGRAMMING
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 08:11:41 AM »

Ah.  How about going back to your factory settings and simply change the key?  Setting the buttons is certainly not very user-friendly on the FR18.

Doug Watt

• Good talker
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 09:24:12 AM »

Hi Chris,

I did that and it is fine but I particularly want to learn the Handry layout without having to buy a Handry or bulk-up like Arnold Schwarzenegger.

(:)

Doug

JD

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 01:08:07 PM »

Tabulature Maker v1.01 is still available for download from the Roland website. I remember looking at this software when the FR-18 was first released and it didn't look that difficult to set up a new tabulature (Roland-speak for a layout, I believe). If I remember correctly you can load 12 tabulatures (layouts) and then transpose them into different keys on the fly.

To get the best from the FR-18 you have to get into this software.

Doug Watt

• Good talker
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 10:15:38 AM »

Indeed! And it works so I am now sorted. Thanks to both 👍
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal