Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 row melodeon  (Read 2338 times)

Reece Johnson

3 row melodeon
« on: March 14, 2019, 07:55:32 PM »

ive bought a 3 row melodeon and am so far loving it. that being said can only learn songs by ear. one of the songs i'd like to learn is haste to the wedding but cannot figure it out what so ever.I don't suppose there any tabs available? thanks

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
Re: 3 row melodeon
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 08:27:20 PM »

thesession.org is a good place to find tunes

https://thesession.org/tunes/582

Really sorry, just seen that you learn by ear. This site does have the abc notation that can be read by other software, though.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 09:05:51 PM by playandteach »
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

MikeK

• Respected Sage
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 08:44:05 PM »

I use abcnotation.com It gives tunes in different keys.  I can also listen and then choose
whichever one I prefer.
I always respect my elders but they are getting fewer in numbers.

David Colpitts

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 10:53:11 PM »

I have “Tunebook” app on iPhone and iPad, and it is absolutely ideal for me (as an ear-only learner, too.)  What it does with the “ABC” notation is translate on the fly to a simple audio synthesizer, and it lets one swap to one of 8 “voices” to enable ear-learning in an approximation of accordion, or guitar, etc.  Also, easy speed control.  Advantage:  really small text files turn into listenable “models” of tunes, and you’ll be able to choose (usually) from multiple settings of tunes, in different keys.  So, say, you have an A,D,G three row, or a G,C,F, you’ll likely find one of those keys in a setting, and then just slow it down and pick it out along the rows, for starters.

David

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 12:00:13 AM »

Most abc editors have midi players included.

Haste To The Wedding was tune of the month a bit back. You'll find plenty of versions on the thread.

https://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,16063.msg197632.html#msg197632

Note:The TOTM Index was out of action when I tried it just now.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 12:09:07 AM »

Reece, I can write the tune out for you in tablature - to be played on one row, melody only. This is because I've only had to to do this for one-row students in Quebec, and because not being a standard 2-row (e.g. D/G) or 3-row player (e.g. ADG) I wouldn't know where to cross the rows on one of those systems. However learning to play it on one row for starters is not a bad idea. Let me know if you'd like me to scribble the melody out for you, with button numbers and indications for push or pull.

I'm not a fan of tablature myself but if it helps you get started, well then it's a help. If you want to produce tablature to learn tunes you might want to look into the software called TablEdit. I looked at it briefly a few years ago, thinking I might use it to produce tabs for students, but decided against it. I do remember that you can tell it what kind of accordion you have (ADG, GCF etc.) by using predefined keyboard templates, or setting up your own, and you can import tunes in ABC format (such as those on thesession.org as mentioned above, or from other sources) and produce tablature from them.

https://www.tabledit.com

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 12:17:35 PM »

Is this useful?

Reece Johnson

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 07:28:59 PM »

hey stiamh yep that will work great for now and with this tab I can now if needed change direction and see what other notes I need rather than starting from scratch creating my own tab.

I had a look ad tabledit and at first the way you described I could have something like synthesia for melodeon sounded great. that being said when I picked "accordion diatonic" I didn't get any option for a 3 row gcf layout. maybe im missing something. i'd greatly appreciate it if you or anyone else could give me a hand like this as a synthesia type bit of software for melodeon would be brilliant and I wouldn't have to be such a pest.

thanks a ton to yourself and everyone one else who is giving me feedback :)

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 08:18:46 PM »

Reece, I no longer have the trial version of TablEdit on my system and I don't have time - no actually, that should be the inclination (:) - to install it again and go poking around in it for, you sorry. I do remember about the predefined keyboard layouts though. It didn't have one for my system, C#/D, but I could have created one for it. I think I gave up on the whole idea somewhere around that point.

Perhaps someone else has more experience of TablEdit but I don't recall seeing it discussed on here.

The thing is, if you do learn by ear mainly, one of the other suggestions made above (using software to play back ABC tunes) might be better in the long run than getting used to using tabs.  :|glug

kenakordeon

• Regular debater
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 10:55:11 PM »

Regarding tablature for button accordion, I used it a few times and have written out two melodies for a beginning student. It is a fine way to begin but don't get hooked on it. All it indicates, at least the tablature I've seen, is which button and either push or pull but no indication of rhythm nor duration of notes. Maybe there is a tablature which does indicate those properties? I feel very fortunate that I can not only learn via the oral tradition, i.e by ear, but also can read music. And, when it comes to traditional folk music I think, for me anyway, it is always better to learn by ear.

Ken

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2019, 05:50:54 AM »

I don't suppose there any tabs available? thanks

I'm not entirely clear exactly what it is you are asking for, but back in October 2017, this thread:

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,20960.msg255098.html#msg255098

dealt with a Python script for automagically adding tabs to a score. Might be of interest?
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2019, 07:01:32 AM »

"dealt with a Python script for automagically adding tabs to a score."

Roger, I didn't realise that they were into that sort of perverted stuff when I was watching them all those years ago! Surely the fish slapping dance or Mr Gumby's wellies were strange enough for anyone?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 05:48:00 AM »

...I didn't realise that they were into that sort of perverted stuff when I was watching them all those years ago...

Perverted, never!

Someone also featured a similar sort of application on concertina.net a while ago:

https://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?/topic/20871-re-hosting-of-anglo-fingering-generator/

I didn't quite find the style of tabulation to my taste, so I tried to put something together myself, but
couldn't quite get it to fly - it didn't tab all of the notes, and mysteriously some disappeared
completely (:-\). In principle however, it worked.  Ideally, a 'finished' application would allow the user
to enter a few parameters like Instrument ('Melodeon', 'Concertina'); Layout ('30-button', '20-button',
'2-row',...), Key(s) ('C/G', 'D/G', 'G/D',...) and set up its look-up tables on that basis before generating
the tabs.

Maybe I should dig it out and try again, though I'm still not sure that this is the sort of thing the OP
is looking for
. Interesting little application for someone whose programming skills are 15 years rusty!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 10:32:20 AM by Roger Hare »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Stockaryd

• Regular debater
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 10:12:14 AM »

The wheel is repeatedly invented in different shapes and never completely round.    (Wheel  =  the way to write music)

If you work with ggsm.nl and MuseScore
then you have everything in the same program and the wheel can be a little bit more . . . .   round.

MuseScore has:
notes  (dots)
abc
pdf
midi

and you can write tab manually

Missing:    tab  automatically

Unfortunately, I cannot program myself  . . . . .    so the field is open  to make an plugin/app!   

MuseScore  is released as free and open-source software under the GNU General Public License.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MuseScore

Hohner Corso, Hohner Erica, Emmanuel Pariselle, Gessner,   Koch,   Mariotti,    "China  NoName",   4 Toy,     -and now some more
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal