Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ADG tune suggestions etc  (Read 4935 times)

accordion criminal

• Good talker
ADG tune suggestions etc
« on: September 07, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »

Having played whistle with a fiddler and guitarist and learned at least sixty jigs/reels/hornpipes/polkas, and having played 48bass piano accordion for a short time, I recently jumped at the chance to acquire a Gabbanelli ADG. I'm now hooked on button boxes and am waiting for my C#D Dancemaster to arrive.

For an ADG with a heavy bass end (even with the bass reeds removed--I used to live on the Mex border and knew about this trick), should I be finding the buttons that allow me to play an entire phrase of a jig/reel/hornpipe/polka on the draw or press, or is an entire phrase excessive? I like how playing the same phrase on the draw and then on the press teaches me where the notes are relative to the bellows direction, but as a beginner I find myself hunting around for the right notes more than playing them:)

So, I was thinking that instead of stumbling around trying to find (and write down) where the buttons are for notes in tunes like Atoll Highlander, Seamus Ennis's Jig, O'Sullivan's March, I should ask on this forum for names of tunes that are easier on the ADG for a beginner. Offhand, I assume any heavily arpeggiated tune would be good, but there may be others that ADG players like that I'm not aware of.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
Re: ADG tune suggestions etc
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 11:15:21 PM »

helo pontyrogof, sut mae? Croeso i'r fforwm.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

accordion criminal

• Good talker
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 01:07:56 AM »

Dydw i ddim yn siarad Cymraeg  :( Mae'n ddrwg gen i. I don't even have the shortcut keys for the special characters. But, thanks for the welcome!

accordion criminal

• Good talker
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 02:41:35 AM »

Just found a tune that seems fitting on the ADG: Bohola's Johnny Dougherty's March. Even sounds pretty at my snail's pace:) Ha, that's a PA on the recording, I think.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 03:12:08 AM by pontyrogof »

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
    • Melodeon Minutes (blog)
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 11:28:10 AM »

[...] should I be finding the buttons that allow me to play an entire phrase of a jig/reel/hornpipe/polka on the draw or press, or is an entire phrase excessive? I like how playing the same phrase on the draw and then on the press teaches me where the notes are relative to the bellows direction, but as a beginner I find myself hunting around for the right notes more than playing them:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiA1WlxWc2w
Cheers,
Andy

HallelujahAl

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 12:38:03 PM »

Helo, Croeso i'r fforwm pontyrogof. A 'n glws alaw at ddysg acha ADG ydy 'Calon Lan'. Alli gwialen cyd-rhwng gwanafau achos effeithia!
tranl. Hi above is about as good as my Welsh gets. But have a go at Calon Lan switching between rows. And yes, get those reed blocks back in I suggest.
AL

accordion criminal

• Good talker
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 03:27:13 PM »

1. I'll put the basses back in.
2. I'll give Calon Lan a go.
3. I'll look for more examples to learn from like that video. I heard those basses and understand!

:Ph ;D

So glad I posted here!

HallelujahAl

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 06:43:50 PM »

OK Calon Lan should appear as if by magic - if not the magic's gone...
AL

accordion criminal

• Good talker
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 02:52:01 AM »

OK Calon Lan should appear as if by magic - if not the magic's gone...
AL

I was going to say: Bod y dudalen wedi symud, wedi'i diweddaru neu wedi'i dileu...
But then I logged in and it appeared!

Thank you AL.

sqwzboxstudent

• dartmoor / gypsy style
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 08:26:45 PM »

have you still got the gabbanelli??? id love to see a pic...

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 09:22:02 PM »

Greetings and welcome, pontyrogof! Many players of Newfoundland seem to prefer diatonic boxes in A/D, although there are many exceptions. Plenty of the tunes played are Irish or Scottish in origin, with a great mixture of other folk tunes from different places thrown in. An A/D/G is a great choice for this body of music, if you wish to stick with a "quint tuned" instrument. I have an A/D myself, and it works quite well for the British Isles tunes, as well.
  Here's some Newfie boys singing and playing Peggy Gordon. The box player has a Hohner Morgane which I believe is in D/G.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 09:37:43 PM »

I was going to say: Bod y dudalen wedi symud, wedi'i diweddaru neu wedi'i dileu...
But then I logged in and it appeared!

Thank you AL.

A 'na dydy!
 ;D

accordion criminal

• Good talker
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 01:07:08 AM »

have you still got the gabbanelli??? id love to see a pic...

Yes. I haven't played it lately near as much as the C#D, but since you asked, I'll try to come up with a vid of my playing on the Gab ADG.  Your box is pretty!!!!!

sqwzboxstudent

• dartmoor / gypsy style
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 04:29:15 PM »

how many voice is it??? ive been looking for a 3 or 4 voice at the mo!

accordion criminal

• Good talker
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 05:42:59 PM »

how many voice is it??? ive been looking for a 3 or 4 voice at the mo!

Mine the basic 101 model. Just a lightweight :)

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 06:08:31 PM »

Welcome to the forum...can you tell me why you chose c#d?  I play b/c and am embarking on that tuning myself so I'm interested in hearing why you chose c#d initially?
Hohner's, Paolo Soprani red 4 voice, Paddy Clancy Celtic

accordion criminal

• Good talker
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 07:21:53 PM »

Welcome to the forum...can you tell me why you chose c#d?  I play b/c and am embarking on that tuning myself so I'm interested in hearing why you chose c#d initially?

I had a talk about it with Michael Usui, the Dancemaster maker. I told him I was leaning toward C#D and of course he asked me what I intended to play. I told him mostly polkas and tunes needing lilt or punch because I found them more fun to play. He agreed on my original choice of tuning. I will say this, if I weren't a self-teacher, I would be very disappointed at the lack of tutor material for C#D. The C#D can involve playing a good bit of cross-row if you want some smooth phrases, from what I've found in my fairly recent experience. My Dancemaster has the Binci reeds, so probably it wouldn't matter which tuning I chose! My Gabbanelli now sounds plinky next to my Dancemaster. Gotta go make another vid with it...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal