Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing a single reed. How to ensure it matches?  (Read 2026 times)

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
Re: Replacing a single reed. How to ensure it matches?
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2019, 02:27:08 PM »

...I have a Hohner Club which I fitted with a set of Saltarelle reeds I came by. Sounds nice but doesn't sound like either a Hohner or a Saltarelle.[/font]

I have a Hohner Student P.A conversion, that has  a set of Antonelli ( Now Voci Armoniche) reeds in the treble end and Hohner reeds in the bass end. Originally it had antonelli bass reeds as well but I found they were being swamped by the more "aggresive" reeds in the bass end which had 3 octave, bass notes so I replace them with the Hohners and they sound well balanced now. To my ears the two different sets or reeds work well together, it sounds, Like Lesters, neither like a Hohner or an Italian box, probably nearer to Hohner, but slightly more refined. it sometimes seems that some of the difference beetween various makes of reeds is perceived rather than actual, at least amongst the more standard grades rathe than, say, "A Mano" reeds.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 10:06:40 AM by Henry Piper »
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
Re: Replacing a single reed. How to ensure it matches?
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2019, 04:32:46 PM »

You can retune the existing reed it may be easier said than done for a novice. One tone on only one reed.

If it’s a two voice it’s actually two reeds you need to repitch, three, then three. If you start getting into reassigning the bass, as in 'declubbing' an instrument, it gets quite a bit more involved.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal