Discussions > Teaching and Learning

Bellows

(1/13) > >>

richard.fleming:
At a session the other day a D/G player, basically a Morris musician, appeared to be trying to get round the difficulty of playing rapid sequences such as triplets by rapid in and out bellows movements rather than fingerwork. I say 'appeared' because I don't know whether it was thought of by the musician as good practice or as the only way they could play the tune.  I tried it when I got home; the reeds 'sound' in a different way if you do that, and I'll not disguise that I don't like it. I was wondering if it is approved of in Morris or indeed English folk circles, when technique is being discussed?

Winston Smith:
Perhaps he learned on a 1 row?

Tone Dumb Greg:
Or, perhaps he likes playing up and down the row. For my sins, I prefer that style of playing for morris. If it didn't sound right, maybe he's not very experienced, or playing too fast.

Lester:

--- Quote from: Tone Dumb Greg on March 17, 2019, 12:31:21 PM ---Or, perhaps he likes playing up and down the row. For my sins, I prefer that style of playing for morris. If it didn't sound right, maybe he's not very experienced, or playing too fast.

--- End quote ---

Wot he said ^^^^^^

Steve_freereeder:
I think the best melodeon players can switch between push-pull style and cross-row style at will, depending on how they interpret the particular music being played. Neither method is superior or inferior to the other; they're just different, they complement each other and allow you to create different effects. Brian Peters is an absolute master of the two styles.

Rejoice in the fact that the melodeon is an instrument that allows you to do both.  (:)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version