Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chemnitzer concertina  (Read 1564 times)

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Chemnitzer concertina
« on: March 11, 2019, 08:13:13 PM »

I am fascinated by these boxes, and would love to try one. Anybody out there got one?

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
Re: Chemnitzer concertina
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 07:38:22 PM »

My Wife has one, made by F.Lange, I,m currently about to undertake a Complete re valve job on it, almost every one of the leather valves is either missing or curled beyond use !!. Its also missing about 6 bellows corners does anyone know of a source of replacement ones ???

Henry.
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

Sebastian

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 08:30:39 PM »

Its also missing about 6 bellows corners does anyone know of a source of replacement ones ?
I don't, but you may want to ask Mr. Wallschläger who builds and repairs bandonions and big concertinas: http://www.hzi-carlsfeld.de/1.html

Ellisteph

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 11:10:06 PM »

I don't have one but here's a video of Jochen Reimer playing his on a visit to Cheshire 3 years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMEHvRZORPI
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 01:25:18 AM »

I have overhauled a Chemnitzter. If you find any broken reeds Harmonikas can replace them at €25 each. You'll have to send them the plates. Tuning a Chem is fun because it doesn’t have reed blocks you can put on a tuning table. But I was able to tune the plates flat on the tuning table and then tweak the tuning with then in situ, but you need to be able to lift the end on and off from the bellows. It’s a bit tricky. All the levers etc are held together with animal glue so repadding can be done but it’s also more tricky than a melodeon. Finally, it’s probably tuned in octaves, which is challenging to get bang on the money. Tune one reed to ref pitch, then the octave to that reed, until their is zero or near as dammit tremolo. ...and, having just sorted out a PA where the previous tuner clearly had no concept of the reed set or profile - apart from rough tuning the plate flat on the tuning table, you also need to voice the reeds to make sure they speak with the merest breath of air.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 01:30:25 AM by RogerT »

saguaro_squeezer

• Good talker
  • Pokerworks, Crane Duets, Bandoneon
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 05:09:19 PM »

I've started to play around with them and Bandoneons and it's a bit like playing a block of flats after my melodeon and Crane Duets.  But they're basically diatonic with enough other buttons thown in to make a complete scale on the push or pull.  You can look on Facebook at the United States Concertina Association:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/usconcertina/

Even though their main keys are G and A, over here they make them transposing.  I have one that's a Bb, so you play G and it sound F.  I bought each of mine for less than 600 GBP and in good playing condition.  Two of them even have switches for multiple voices.

Kind regards,

Rod
Rod Wagoner
Tucson, AZ

"How great life is if you just accept the small gifts and don't waste time on wishes." - Clinton "Bubba" Hare, Airheads Beemer Club

"OOP-ACK-THHPT!" - Bill the Cat
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal