Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Building a one row four stop  (Read 27865 times)

Pearse Rossa

Re: Building a one row four stop
« Reply #140 on: March 11, 2020, 01:34:38 AM »

It looks absolutely stunning!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #141 on: March 11, 2020, 08:42:21 AM »

...The M standing reed is a head scratcher,  turning out to be even sharper than the rest maybe 15 cents.
I’m wondering if the fact that I had to open up the back of that chamber to expose the complete hole ( divider was covering part of it) would change things. So air flow direction changes a bit?
In my experience, the pitch of any given reed is partly governed by the volume (capacity) of the reed chambers. A larger volume reed chamber tends to result in sharper reeds than a smaller one. The ultimate of this effect is the pitch of the outside push reeds on a free-standing reed block, out of the instrument. The 'reed chamber' (the room in which you are in!) is very large, so the 'true free reed' plays noticeably sharp (typically around 5 cents or even more) compared to when it's in the instrument.

What is really happening is that when installed in an instrument, there is a 'proximity effect' caused by all the other components such as other reed blocks, bellows folds, casing sides, etc. all of which combine to flatten the reed to some degree or other from its 'true free reed' pitch. Inside mounted (pull) reeds are already partly confined by the chamber walls and floor, so that part of the proximity effect already exists, so when tested on a free-standing reed block outside of the instrument the pull reeds tend not to be quite as sharp as the push reeds. 

This is why it is essential to carry out final pitch measurements and tuning of reeds in situ in the instrument if you want anything like accuracy.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #142 on: March 11, 2020, 09:11:39 PM »

I measured in situ in the instrument, its better on the push ( closer to pitch) than the pull on most reeds as you said happens, Steve.
4 or 5 cents or better on some reeds and the middle standing being sharper.
I know my chambers were the same for both middle reeds banks so only difference is the air is coming from a different angle to the reed on the standing, I’d guess.
I got all the big bugs out (leaks , reed valves fouled) , probably a couple more to find.
Anyway ,tuning time soon.
I’m just happy it makes a nice sound  :||: and or works!!
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #143 on: March 13, 2020, 04:47:20 AM »

I’m not even sure how I will tune this box being that its Bb reeds. Maybe not the best key for Irish anyway.

I'm wondering why you opted for Bb?

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #144 on: March 13, 2020, 12:29:54 PM »

It looks absolutely stunning!
Thanks its been fun building it and frustrating at times!!
I’m not even sure how I will tune this box being that its Bb reeds. Maybe not the best key for Irish anyway.

I'm wondering why you opted for Bb?
I only got them because the price was right and I didn’t have to wait for them. I bought them from a forum member who was selling her late husbands accordions,  he had told me he had them last time we spoke when I was telling him I was dreaming of making one. He was my repairman at the time.

I have to admit this Bb key is growing on me , nice thing is the high end sounds good, not squeaky.
Also I might not have shelled out for top of the line reeds not knowing how is box would turn out, I’m very happy with them knowing now that it works.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

mselic

« Reply #145 on: March 13, 2020, 02:12:14 PM »

Bb might very well be the sweetest sounding key for a LMMH one-row. It’s too bad it doesn’t work with ITM (when playing with fiddles, others, etc)!
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #146 on: March 13, 2020, 03:45:37 PM »

Bb might very well be the sweetest sounding key for a LMMH one-row. It’s too bad it doesn’t work with ITM (when playing with fiddles, others, etc)!
It does sound good, and that’s ok if its not ITM compatible.
I’ll find a use for it, good key for singing.

These must be one of the largest of reed sets just barely fitting in, even with chopping out a bit of wood on both sides of the frame where the large reeds of each bank M H sit flat.

I’m in the line for tuning (month or so ) , I’m going to get it tune with a bit of tremolo.
I’m debating whether to leave the first button pull or change it from F to G.

How hard is it to take the F up to a G whole tone? and does this ruin the reed. Be removing material away from tip , correct?

More than likely I’ll leave it for now. I’ve got others with the chord pull note and not the low note so it wouldn’t be that strange.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #147 on: March 13, 2020, 04:04:03 PM »

I know three flute players in my area who have Bb instruments - fantastic sound. I have an A/A# box for the express purpose of playing with them - although we practically never get around to it (:) Fiddles can be tuned down, too, although two full tones is about the limit.

tirpous

« Reply #148 on: March 13, 2020, 06:44:31 PM »

I’m in the line for tuning (month or so ) , I’m going to get it tune with a bit of tremolo.

How hard is it to take the F up to a G whole tone? and does this ruin the reed. Be removing material away from tip , correct?

I've done something similar for a D 1-row, changing 4 pull reeds from A to B.  Easy for the L reed (weighted tip), doable for the M ones, borderline for the H.  After removing a fair amount of material from the H reed tip (as much as I felt comfortable with), I ended up shortening the reed and its slot to achieve the desired pitch.

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #149 on: March 13, 2020, 07:01:08 PM »

I've done something similar for a D 1-row, changing 4 pull reeds from A to B.  Easy for the L reed (weighted tip), doable for the M ones, borderline for the H.  After removing a fair amount of material from the H reed tip (as much as I felt comfortable with), I ended up shortening the reed and its slot to achieve the desired pitch.
I need to do the exact same thing on mine, but I've been putting it off because of the H reeds.

shortening the reed and its slot
What exactly did you do to the slot? I can't make it out from your photos.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #150 on: March 13, 2020, 07:44:46 PM »

Thanks for that info, as I said I’ll probably wait get it up and running first then see, baby steps.

I know three flute players in my area who have Bb instruments - fantastic sound. I have an A/A# box for the express purpose of playing with them - although we practically never get around to it (:) Fiddles can be tuned down, too, although two full tones is about the limit.
Hi Steve
Good to know it may have some usefulness!! I suppose it would work with most wind instruments?
So maybe I could play something with my nephew on the sax.  And your right Bb does sound lovely.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #151 on: March 13, 2020, 07:56:26 PM »

You can play in Gm. That will make Dave Shepherd happy.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #152 on: March 13, 2020, 08:28:56 PM »

My main Zydeco box is in Bb. It's very common in Louisiana.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #153 on: March 13, 2020, 08:37:30 PM »

My main Zydeco box is in Bb. It's very common in Louisiana.
How would you tune a Zydeco box? Similar to cajun or is it a little different tuning.

gettabettabox

Re: Building a one row four sto
« Reply #154 on: March 14, 2020, 02:20:31 AM »

Re: raising the piccolo reed pitch on button 1 of a D box.
I recall this issue in an earlier thread. Theo said it can be done.
I never had the confidence with a D box, resorting to just blocking it off. Never missed it in general playing unless using a reduced reed bank settings like LH.
G and A boxes easier to address.

tirpous

« Reply #155 on: March 14, 2020, 03:18:01 AM »

What exactly did you do to the slot? I can't make it out from your photos.

Filled slot end with packed steel wool and cyanoacrylate glue to shorten it.

See this thread for background: http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,20752.0.html

And this one for more background (and controversy!): http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,20734.msg249219.html#msg249219

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #156 on: March 14, 2020, 03:37:28 AM »

I ended up shortening the reed
How do you gauge the amount you clip off the reed tongue?

tirpous

« Reply #157 on: March 14, 2020, 04:08:57 AM »

How do you gauge the amount you clip off the reed tongue?

The reed may look like it has been clipped in one go, but really it's a gradual process: I filed the reed tip (lifting the reed clear of the plate and filing sideways- carefully) shorter and shorter until it was very close to B on the tuner, then shortened the slot with steel wool and glue.     

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #158 on: March 14, 2020, 04:41:20 AM »

I see. Thanks.

mselic

« Reply #159 on: March 14, 2020, 12:06:21 PM »

Here’s a lovely example of a fiddle tuned down to Bb for ITM:

https://youtu.be/HDSxxRKOXVE

Personally, I think lowering pitch from standard is so much sweeter sounding than going in the other  direction, such as Eb. I never really understood the desire for Eb (and the D/D# boxes created to suit it). I’d sooner have C#!
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal