Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I am trying to purchase a new Delicia, but it is not going well  (Read 3172 times)

Anadi Nemrava

I am trying to purchase a new Delicia, but it is not going well
« on: February 22, 2019, 01:47:28 AM »

Hello,
I read posts on the melodeon forum for a good while before I finally joined. I want to start by saying that I have learned so much from it, and that I really appreciate that!

Now for my question:    I am having difficulty in my attempt to purchase a new Delicia Carmen 26 (cossotto) with A Mano reeds (yes, it is a piano accordion and not a melodeon).  I tried to buy the accordion through their website but it does not allow for a shipping address out side of Slovakia or Czech.  So I sent an email explaining that I wanted to purchase the above listed accordion. I never heard anything back from them. So I started phoning them during their business hours (my night time); the phone would ring but no one would ever pick up.  One day after about 25 or 30 rings a woman answers, I tell her that I want to buy the above accordion and she tells me that she is on her cell phone and will be at the office in the late afternoon, and that I should send her an email telling her what I want to buy. I sent another email. I have never heard anything back from Delicia.  I have googled to see if there is currently a week or two of holidays in Czech, but I don't see anything listed.

I have now begun to wonder if Delicia has actually gone out of business (I know that the accordion business is very difficult). Does anyone know if they are currently in business or not. And if they are in business, does anyone have advice on how to convince them to take my money?

ChrisP

• Respected Sage
  • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Chris Partington
Re: I am trying to purchase a new Delicia, but it is not going well
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 09:13:11 AM »

To be honest, if a company was that poor with communication I would never part with any money unless I had the item in my hand, especially if it was in a foreign country. You can hardly go and knock on the door and ask them where it is when it hasn't arrived, can you?

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 09:44:05 AM »

I would be very reluctant to buy an accordion sight unseen and sound unheard, even a brand new one.
I would be especially cautious if there was not a very helpful agent based somewhere reasonably close to me (even if that just means in the same, or a neighboring country-you don't say where you are), with a good reputation for fair trading, who was falling over himself to help.

It sounds like there is a very real possibility that if you eventually manage to pin down the company and then have any problems with your purchase you will be left with no support.

Maybe it is time to become more flexible in your specification.

Good luck.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 10:04:42 AM »

It's God, telling you to buy a melodeon.

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 10:09:44 AM »

It's God, telling you to buy a melodeon.

SJ

Also telling you not to buy a Delicia.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Anadi Nemrava

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 10:25:14 AM »

You are all right. I am going to give up on trying to buy from Delicia.  One of the issues is that I live in New Zealand and it is about a 24 hour flight to Europe  or to the east coast of the USA.  I was trying to avoid the flights and associated accommodation because that is about half my budget for an accordion.  One of the reasons that I was interested in Delicia was because they actually list the prices on every instrument as well as list the price for every option, such as each reed option.  I innocently thought the whole experience of buying a new accordion would be more straight forward than it actually is. I was also expecting more of a level of consistency within any brand of accordion than what people tell me is the case. 

invadm

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 11:51:43 AM »

why not try contacting Emilio if you are after a good place to buy a PA ? http://www.accordions.co.uk/
very helpful man and stock he's got for new and used accordions are just huge, excellent service,you can tell him what you need if it's not in stock he will make you one  (:)
shop is in London and he'll ship wherever you are,call him if you can, email might take longer for him to come back to you but he will..       

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 12:09:14 PM »

Miss Handcart wrote "Also telling you not to buy a Delicia".

Hello Miss Handcart. I think that you're being a tad unfair because you had a bad experience with a Delicia Delux - the wooden box. My box was and still is perfectly playable and sounds OK. I received positive comments from others who started to learn at the same time and had purchased a Black Diamond and one of the cheap Chinese boxes. I appreciate that this Delicia is second best to a Poker. I moved onto an Italian box but this was caused by a MAD infection!  I now intend to sell the Delicia and a very old Erica - encourage some new starters to be infected.       
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 12:10:59 PM by Nigel »

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 01:04:31 PM »

http://www.accordions.com/accordionhouse/

Have you tried these people (other accordion suppliers may be available)?

And these people might be helpful

https://www.accordion.co.nz/
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 01:08:29 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 01:10:28 PM »

Miss Handcart wrote "Also telling you not to buy a Delicia".

Hello Miss Handcart. I think that you're being a tad unfair because you had a bad experience with a Delicia Delux - the wooden box. My box was and still is perfectly playable and sounds OK. I received positive comments from others who started to learn at the same time and had purchased a Black Diamond and one of the cheap Chinese boxes. I appreciate that this Delicia is second best to a Poker. I moved onto an Italian box but this was caused by a MAD infection!  I now intend to sell the Delicia and a very old Erica - encourage some new starters to be infected.     

I thought that was advice from the Almighty
Greg Smith

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 09:26:12 PM »

One of the issues is that I live in New Zealand

There are some very knowledgeable piano accordion players/repairers in Australia who I'd recommend to anyone wanting to buy a good instrument. Malcolm Clapp is on this forum and he may be able to help you, or point you in the direction of a trustworthy piano accordion dealer in EnZed.

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 11:46:14 PM »

While I have not played a Delicia Carmen 26 (and it looks quite attractive I must say), I have had experience of some of Delicia's other models. Whilst I don't want to sound negative about this, or any other particular maker, let me just say that imho there is no comparison with the workmanship of the top Italian makers.

My best (only?) suggestion for quality piano accordions in NZ would be is Maurice Jones in Auckland at http://www.accordions.com/accordionhouse/, as previously mentioned by Greg, who stock a range of Italian accordions and can import to order through their longstanding connections in the industry. Dealing directly with the factory, Czech or Italian, is fraught with risk imho. I've heard and read of many horror stories, and experienced one or two disasters myself, even as a dealer/retailer in a past life.

Just in passing, I would also second Invadm's recommendation of Emilio Allodi if you want to shop in London.....

Did you see the Bugari Armando currently on Trade Me? 30 odd years old, but a classic and appears well looked after. Might be worth your consideration. (No connection with the seller!)

Good luck in your quest.

Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Anadi Nemrava

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2019, 08:41:42 AM »

I want to express a huge thanks to everyone for  all of the advice, humor and suggestions! Thanks, thanks and thanks again. When I end up with something I will let you all know!

Anadi Nemrava

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2019, 12:42:05 PM »

I spent the day examining the Accordion House website in the UK, as well as  the Allodi Accordions website in the UK. I phoned them, I conversed and I listened to accordions over the phone!  I bought a used scandalli. I feel very good about today's experience.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2019, 02:37:08 PM »

Scandalli have an excellent reputation, sounds like a wise choice to me.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2019, 12:35:47 AM »

I very much like Scandallis...so a good choice I reckon. Nice light action on bass and treble.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal