Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radio 3 Astor Piazzolla tangos on box  (Read 1044 times)

Gary

• Respected Sage
Radio 3 Astor Piazzolla tangos on box
« on: March 19, 2019, 12:36:50 PM »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0003dbn
composer of the week  Astor Pantaleón Piazzolla (Spanish pronunciation: [pjaˈsola], Italian pronunciation: [pjatˈtsɔlla]; March 11, 1921 – July 4, 1992) was an Argentine tango composer, bandoneon player, and arranger. His oeuvre revolutionized the traditional tango into a new style termed nuevo tango, incorporating elements from jazz and classical music. A virtuoso bandoneonist, he regularly performed his own compositions with a variety of ensembles.

Gary

• Respected Sage
Re: Radio 3 Astor Piazzolla tangos on box
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 12:43:52 PM »

The mix of influences and blending remind me of a few current players, Tim Edey for one. Joyful fun with at times a simmer of sadness, reeds really rewarding repeated renditions.....

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
Re: Radio 3 Astor Piazzolla tangos on box
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 05:04:57 PM »

I remember Johnny Morris, the late BBC presenter and raconteur did a series of radio programmes from various exotic locations.  One of these was from Buenos Aires, the home of the tango.  I remember his description of tango music as being full of pain, misery, and damn bad luck.

Made oi larf.
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal