Discussions > News and Events

Jackie Daly and other top Irish box players in Suffolk April 26th-28th

(1/1)

Katie Howson:
As part of the I Looked East and I Looked West festival, a number of superb box players from the west of Ireland will be visiting Stowmarket, Suffolk on April 26th-28th 2019.

Jackie Daly (Buttons & Bows, Patrick Street, De Danaan), Bryan O’Leary (grandson of the renowned Johnny O’Leary) and Paudie O’Connor will be joined by other “surprise” guests including more ex-De Danaan box players! They all play C#/D system, which is more like the English system as it works around the D row in a pull-push fashion, rather than the B/C style which is smoother. In fact they’re such good musicians they play more than one system, but it’s the C#/D that is mostly used for the “Sliabh Luachra” repertoire from Kerry and Cork, which features polkas and slides (12/8 jigs).

Jackie is giving a workshop on Sliabh Luachra style polkas and slides on the C#/D box, taking into account that some players will have English system boxes. The workshop is for competent players on all instruments, not just melodeons / accordions. Fiddle player Connie O’Connell will be joining Jackie in leading the workshop.

The weekend is full of concerts, talks and sessions, and is organised in memory of a great Irish fiddle-player who was influential in defining the Sliabh Luachra style and repertoire – Julia Clifford. I knew Julia when she lived in Norfolk for the last twenty years of her life and her influence is still felt down the years, as these days I play a lot of her music.

This is a one-off event and full details including ticket information can be found on my website: https://katiehowson.co.uk/i-looked-east-and-i-looked-west

The workshop is on the morning of Saturday 27th April, and you can guarantee a place by buying a day ticket for the Saturday or a weekend day ticket. There may be single-event tickets available on the day, but we can’t guarantee it. We have already sold out for the Saturday evening concert, but there are plenty of other events, including a Sunday afternoon concert, if concerts are your thing.

The crack will definitely be mighty!

rees:
This looks amazing!
If only I could be there (especially as I have a couple of C#/D boxes in stock).
Unfortunately I'm out squeezing my own organ all weekend ................

Matthew B:

--- Quote from: Rees on March 19, 2019, 06:13:49 PM ---Unfortunately I'm out squeezing my own organ all weekend ................
--- End quote ---

Oy vey . . . .

Katie Howson:
We'v just made some workshop-only tickets available for this event, and they're very good value. Jackie will be teaching on a C#D box, but it's more about the music than the technique on a specific instrument, as the workshop is open to competent ear players of any melody instrument and Jackie is running it together with fiddle-player Connie O'Connell.

An extremely rare opportunity in the UK to attend a workshop with these two very fine musicians.

Come and learn some wonderful slides and polkas from Kerry/Cork! Information and tickets on my website under the heading "I Looked East and I Looked West". https://katiehowson.co.uk/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version