Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Slow and Steady group Pill near Bristol  (Read 5757 times)

Teresa Thorne

Slow and Steady group Pill near Bristol
« on: March 20, 2019, 10:50:32 AM »

:||: :||:Another good evening of Slow and Steady in Pill near Bristol.
We played some good tunes and thank you for attending. :||: :|||:
Hope to see you next time. Third Tuesday of April.   ;)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 11:10:50 PM by Teresa Thorne »

Martin P

• Respected Sage
Re: Slow and Steady group
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 07:01:03 PM »

I should know, but what is protocol for setting up one of these Slow & Steady groups? I’m down in Sidmouth so bit to far for Bristol session.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 07:34:14 PM »

I should know, but what is protocol for setting up one of these Slow & Steady groups? I’m down in Sidmouth so bit to far for Bristol session.

Find a like minded group of people and a venue and just go for it. Facebook page is good for communication and disseminating a tune book if you chose to have one (recommended as it shows everyone what is expected)

doctordoom

• Good talker
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 07:34:57 PM »

Good question Martin!
I think that the number one requirement is to have fun, hopefully while expanding your repertoire and learning to play in company.
At Playgroup 5 of us just suggested a session for those of us less experienced and intimidated by playing amongst experts,  Pill used to have an open mic folk club that met on the 3rd Tuesday of the month but has fizzled out,  we are making use of their venue , at the Memorial  club, not exclusively for melodeons!
Get 2 or 3 of you to get it up and running,  hopefully it will grow.
Good luck with the venture,  cheers John.
Beginner, (absolute deleted after 2 years!)

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 09:45:59 PM »

Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 10:08:32 PM »

Our steady session has been running for around 4 years (5?) although it moved villages when I did so not quite the same session.  We build our own tunebook collaboratively - my aim is to build repertoire and confidence any my focus is primarily on English tunes but I do take account of the needs and tastes of the regulars- for example adding tunes used by their morris sides. We have a tune of the month which gets added to the tunebook. 

http://ewellsessions.net/

« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 10:11:09 PM by Helena Handcart »
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 06:21:12 AM »

Our steady session has been running for around 4 years (5?) although it moved villages when I did so not quite the same session.  We build our own tunebook collaboratively - my aim is to build repertoire and confidence any my focus is primarily on English tunes but I do take account of the needs and tastes of the regulars- for example adding tunes used by their morris sides. We have a tune of the month which gets added to the tunebook. 

http://ewellsessions.net/

That is a very nice and modern looking site - I can see its Wordpress (as are mine) - what theme are you using?
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 06:03:22 PM »

That is a very nice and modern looking site - I can see its Wordpress (as are mine) - what theme are you using?

Thanks! Glad you like the site. It is a custom child them of my own devising - probably a child of twenty seventeen looking at it. I was quite pleased with it, simple and clean. The logo is my own design,separate from Wordpress.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

doctordoom

• Good talker
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 08:44:38 AM »

Thanks for that Helena,  we may just take a sneaky peep at your tune book!
Here's a reminder to Bristol and North Somerset Slow and steady ers that we have booked Pill Memorial club upstairs bar again for Tuesday 16th at 8pm.
Further reminder,  the room is free on the basis that  we buy a drink from the bar! 
Hope to see you,  cheers doctordoom!    :||:  :|||:

doctordoom

• Good talker
Re: Slow and Steady group at Pill Memorial club.
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 10:58:48 PM »

Excellent slow and steady session tonight,  thanks to all who came,  melodeons,  fiddles,  mandolin and guitar  played.
Tunes played included;  Kelso Accordion and fiddle club, Robin's waltz, canal in October,  Michael Turner's and Charles Lynch  waltz,  South wind, Fanny Power, Princess Royal,  full Uncle Bernard set inc Winster gallop/Tiptop polka/Rakes of mellow,  Hundred pipers set Inc Marie's wedding/cock of the north/Scotland the brave,  Caddam wood, and Oyster Girl.   
Thanks to John Mills for bringing sheet music for several of the tunes.
We are booked again for May  21st,  hope to see you all again, cheers John.

Teresa Thorne

Re: Slow and Steady group Pill near Bristol
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 11:14:21 PM »

:||:Thank you for a good evening of Slow and Steady tunes.
See you all next time.  :||:

doctordoom

• Good talker
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 12:05:46 PM »

Dear Slow and steady players near Bristol and North Somerset,  here's a reminder that we have booked Pill Memorial club for Tuesday 21st May.
As this is aimed at beginners and relative beginners I suggest we start with Kelso accordion club,  then the Uncle Bernard's set includes Winster gallop,
Be aware that the Club now has a  "Phone and Pay" in force on the car park, if you are attending a function at the club or are a member you will be exempt from the charge, you will need to obtain the days exemption code from the bar when you buy yours drinks! (Soft of course if you're the driver)
Download the Phone and Pay app to your phone and register your vehicle  number .
Look for the tunes dots if needed on Jill's tune website  www.fiddlelessons.co.uk 
Looking forward to seeing you all again next Tuesday,  cheers John.

doctordoom

• Good talker
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 11:21:45 AM »

Thanks to those who attended last night,  a select 5 of us , 4 melodeons and 1 fiddle,  we played a good selection of tunes as outlined above, plus Salmon Tails,  Bear Dance, Fanny Power, The Sloe and Twigglett.
John (on the Fiddle! ) Mills suggested looking at Blind Mary  a Turlough O'Carolan tune , the room is booked for June 18th 8pm.
Hope to see you then , cheers John.

doctordoom

• Good talker
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 03:43:04 PM »

Here's a reminder to all you Slow and steady players near Bristol,  the Pill Memorial club is booked for Tuesday the 18th  from 8pm.
Tune choice is yours,  a guide to what might be played is those mentioned in previous posts!
The parking cameras are not active yet I am told,  in any case you will not be charged parking as you are attending a club function,  there will be a screen to enter your registration details in the bar when it is activated.
All acoustic instruments welcome but especially Melodeons!
Looking forward to seeing you all again,  cheers Doctordoom.

Nigel Greenwood

• New Starter
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 09:48:07 AM »

John (doctordoom) has told me about these sessions.  They sound great for people aiming to improve, and I hope to join in when I'm next in the Bristol area.  Similarly in Chorley, Lancs, mentioned by Brian Read.  Thanks, Nigel

doctordoom

• Good talker
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2019, 12:54:32 PM »

Thanks to all who came on Tuesday night,  we had 7 players,   2 melodeons , 6 fiddles , 1 guitar  and 1 mandolin  , usual variety of tunes but concentrated on uncle Bernard's beginners set as this is to be played at the St Michael's concert on 28th .
We have booked the upstairs long bar again for July 16th 8pm , look  forward to seeing you then,  cheers John.

JimmyM

• Regular debater
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2019, 01:37:44 PM »

Find a like minded group of people and a venue and just go for it. Facebook page is good for communication and disseminating a tune book if you chose to have one (recommended as it shows everyone what is expected)

indeed :-)
could you let me know if you do please. One of my regulars is moving to exeter and asked me if i knew of a slow/steady group over that way

ursamyna

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2019, 03:40:54 PM »

I'd also be interested if there were one in Exeter.  I'm not aware of any slow and steady groups in the area, just ones for experienced players.

doctordoom

• Good talker
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2019, 07:26:30 PM »

For anyone in the Bristol and North Somerset area  we are holding by popular request another Slow and steady session at Pill Memorial club,  8pm on Tuesday  16th,  a bit of practice prior to Sidmouth?  Please forward to anyone who is interested.
Hope to see you,  cheers John.

doctordoom

• Good talker
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2019, 10:29:39 PM »

In response to requests for an August session the upstairs long bar of the Pill Memorial club is booked for the 3rd Tuesday  of August,  that will be the 20th,  at 8pm as usual,  anyone in the North Somerset area is welcome to join us to play well known folk tunes at a steady pace!
We seem to start with Kelso accordion and fiddle club,  I would suggest the Uncle Bernard's set next,  as we have a good proportion of newish fiddle players,  all acoustic instruments welcome,  please pass this on to anyone who might be interested. 
Post code BS200DH gets you within 50 yards.
Look forward to seeing you,  cheers John.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal