Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ballpark figure for reed prices  (Read 2623 times)

thilde

• New Starter
Ballpark figure for reed prices
« on: March 21, 2019, 11:06:04 AM »

Hello,
I started playing melodeon just a few months ago and immediately got interested in instrument making.

Maybe in a few years (5+) I would like to try to build a melodeon myself. I do woodworking (building furniture) as a hobby and have most of the machines and tools needed.

So far I got a look inside an old Gaillard (early 80's), a Castagnari Handry 12 and my Castagnari Studio to get a rough overview of what materials/wood species are used and what the components are. Of course I am not completely delusional and don't expect my self-built box to sound great. Right now I see this as a learning and exploring experience.  (:)

As a first step I am going to try to build a reed block for my Castagnari Studio and get a first change to tune and adjust reeds.

Now to my question: I can't find any prices on reeds except on the Accordionary for Super Durall reeds (11,50€).
What should I expect to pay for a full set of reeds? (One voice, I currently have the second reeds taped to get a dry sound)

A one voice 21 buttons super durall set from the Accordionary should roughly be 250€. Should I expect to multiply by 4 for typo a mano?

I understand that prices are subject to change, depend on circumstance and are not public for good reasons. So I am merely looking for a ballpark figure for different types (2000€/1000€/500€?).

Also, would anyone be interest to sell me used reeds to play around with? (For shipping: I live in Germany)

Thanks,
Christian

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
Re: Ballpark figure for reed prices
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 11:34:31 AM »

Just as an option.........I've bought several sets of used reeds which were relatively cheap. The main problem is that they've come wrapped in very bulky bits of wood, some covered in celluloid, and nearly all with piano keys stuck to them!

But seriously, this is an interesting way to obtain old reeds, as it gives you a look into how the variously designed and constructed instruments work mechanically and how they come to bits (or not, as the case may be!). An ideal start for someone who intends to eventually have a go at making his/her own.

As for buying new, I haven't a clue, sorry.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 11:36:08 AM by Winston Smith »
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 11:35:35 AM »

Would be happy to work something out on old reeds or practice blocks,Pm me.
And Fratton Accordeons on ebay sell Harmonika reed sets at reasonable prices as does Charlie Marshall or look at the honer website. I tried harmonikas direct but got nowhere when it came to order.I dont know  what mark up or anything fratton has.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 11:39:52 AM by folkloristmark »
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

Corinto

• Regular debater
  • Spain/Brasil/Belgium
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 11:43:04 AM »

Some prices can be seen at the CGM Musical Services website.
link = http://www.cgmmusical.co.uk/CGM_Musical_Services/Hohner_Parts.html
Carpe diem, C.

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 01:07:47 PM »

Buy a cheap Hohner Club (probably Club II) from German ebay and use the reeds out of that box. There are often old and unplayable boxes out there for around 50 €. That will give you a whole set of reeds, including reed blocks if you want to use these, and also some material to look at so you can learn the inner workings of a Hohner box.
No need to pay so much money for reeds to be quite honest - especially not if it's the first box you will build and you just want to practice.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me in German.

blackdot1234

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 01:29:40 PM »

email voci armoniche in italy and get a quote i bought a set 3voice amano b/c from them 2 months lead time 540 euros

JohnS

• Good talker
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 01:42:57 PM »

I emailed Voce Armoniche quite recently and got a polite reply saying that they will now only deal direct if you are VAT registered.

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 01:45:57 PM »

Since you are in Germany, Ebay.de is a rich source of accordions at reasonable prices, in various shapes and forms.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

thilde

• New Starter
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 06:42:17 PM »

The main problem is that they've come wrapped in very bulky bits of wood, some covered in celluloid, and nearly all with piano keys stuck to them!

Haha! Thanks for the tip.

And everyone for your suggestions for getting used reeds.

Buy a cheap Hohner Club (probably Club II) from German ebay and use the reeds out of that box.

I just made an offer for one.

thilde

• New Starter
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 06:48:19 PM »

email voci armoniche in italy and get a quote i bought a set 3voice amano b/c from them 2 months lead time 540 euros

This is much cheaper than what I expected.

Now asking only because of curiosity:
Do the other big Italian names cost (again, very roughly) the same?

blackdot1234

• Regular debater
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 01:49:41 PM »

there is not much of a difference between companys for top quality reeds getting them to supply you with one set is more difficult i found

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2019, 01:13:23 AM »

You can find reed prices on the Harmonikas web site. They sell a range of qualities, but you need to work out what you want and send them a list. You won’t get any help with that part of the process. It’s expected that you know what you are looking at. They are significantly cheaper than Italian reeds. But...if you want to learn about reed work it’s a good idea to buy an old PA..and harvest the reeds from that. You'll get to learn about tuning reeds. Obviously PA reeds aren't diatonic, but then you'll get lots of practice re-tuning reeds. Don’t bother with the old East German Accordions ... old Italian ones generally have excellent old hand finished reeds..something many people overlook. Or get an old 1930s or 1940s Hohner.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 01:15:55 AM by RogerT »

blackdot1234

• Regular debater
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2019, 10:35:19 AM »

i got aquote from harmoniks for 3voice b/c amano nostrino set of reeds and they were only 30 euros cheaper than voci armoniche

Corinto

• Regular debater
  • Spain/Brasil/Belgium
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2019, 11:19:39 AM »

You can find reed prices on the Harmonikas web site.

Can't find prices on their site, ... maybe can't find the way to get to the prices ...  ;D

Carpe diem, C.

Tiposx

• Durham in England
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2019, 12:20:07 PM »

I bought a set of treble Cagnoni TAM reeds from Charlie last year. They were much cheaper than I expected, it was less than £200 for the 42 reed plates. They were in b/c so it might have been a one-off deal.
Tiposx
(Edited)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 03:35:01 PM by Tiposx »

blackdot1234

• Regular debater
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2019, 02:05:13 PM »

i emailed harmoniks and got the quote about a week later i think the reeds from cgm are cagnoni as castagnari use voci armoniche for there boxes

Tiposx

• Durham in England
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2019, 03:36:45 PM »

Yes Blackdot you are right - I bought Cagnoni reeds.

blackdot1234

• Regular debater
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2019, 04:31:27 PM »

yes i thought so cagnoni  top grade reeds are good also you have to pay a bit more for the top italian brands  and a good tuner can make the reeds sing for sure

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2019, 05:11:58 PM »

Yes Blackdot you are right - I bought Cagnoni reeds.

What do you think of the sound? They have been well spoken by a lot of people. Mind you, as BD says, a lot depends on the skill of the tuner.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2019, 05:34:18 PM »

People who've used them have had good things to say about the Harmonikas reeds, especially the higher grade ones, and they're significantly cheaper than Italian ones of similar grade -- and will supply to individuals. Looked at another way, you can get a better grade of reed for the same money...
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal