Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to go from here - Hohner E/B?  (Read 2294 times)

Scotty Gring

• Try putting a piano in a gig bag.
Re: Where to go from here - Hohner E/B?
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2019, 01:40:20 PM »

I rather wish the idea of “hotrodding” old classic instruments could quietly be dropped.  What I aim for when working on old instruments is a sympathetic restoration with a few minor enhancements to improve playability.  The emphasis should be on doing high quality renovation that retains the essential character of instrument.

My intention completely.  I want this box to be the envy of every serious player.  Not an accessory on the "Accordion Babes" Calendar. (No offense intended to those ladies as they are all brilliant musicians as well!)
Proving each day that, just like golf, merely possessing the equipment
in no way guarantees you have any idea what the hell you're doing.      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hohner 1040C, 2815G/C (pre-Pokerwork), Hohner A/D 21/12 Italienne. Titano Titan Piano Accordion (with apologies).

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2019, 01:47:54 PM »

Yes, spot on Theo. I would be tempted to undo the screws and try easing the reed plates out, clean and revalve, then slide them back in again, and replace the screws. Don't know if it would work, but I do like the idea of waxless reed plates.

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2019, 02:00:13 PM »

Yes, spot on Theo. I would be tempted to undo the screws and try easing the reed plates out, clean and revalve, then slide them back in again, and replace the screws. Don't know if it would work, but I do like the idea of waxless reed plates.
Yes - this is exactly how it should be done. Loosen the screws part way out (no need to take them all the way out), then swivel the 'L'-shaped nail to one side and the reed plate should just slide out. May need gentle encouragement if it is well-bedded on the leather gasket.

Strip off all the old valves and discard. Clean off any muck and corrosion on the reed plates with a stiff wire brush (brass-bristled suede brushes are good); revalve, replace and retune.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal