Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Press and Draw  (Read 4435 times)

Peadar

Press and Draw
« on: March 25, 2019, 02:07:56 PM »

As a style of playing what exactly does "Press and Draw" mean?

Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: Press and Draw
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 02:26:13 PM »

It's a term used by B/C players, or rather a term used since the B/C style became popular in Irish music, to refer to anyone playing a box with a D row.  ;)

george garside

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 02:47:17 PM »

is that with reference to playing '' on the (D) row''  rather than playing D using both rows as on a BC box ??

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 03:32:17 PM »

As a style of playing what exactly does "Press and Draw" mean?

Regardless of which key your box is tune in, it means playing as if in one-row style, i.e. no cross-rowing. If your box has more than one row, then just play a tune using a single row. if you have a one-row box, then you will be playing in P&D style anyway because there's no other way of doing it! 
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Peadar

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 05:43:23 PM »

Thanks to all, that makes it clear....I came across the term in a quotation of Jackie Daly  describing John J. Kimmel's style of playing. But also explaining that he (Jackie Daly) himself played that way.
(Maire Ni Chaoimh, PhD thesis, 2010)

https://ulir.ul.ie/bitstream/handle/10344/1616/2010_Ni%20Chaoimh.pdf?sequence=6

1905 recording of John J Kimmel playing Schottiche medley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkZ-9A1rRQs

And a remastering (?) of an early Peter Wyper recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh8iqDCg4DM

Which also goes at a brisk pace.

Peadar
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 05:51:28 PM by Peadar »

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 06:40:05 PM »

Press and Draw also applies to 2 row boxes i.e. Jackie Daly plays C#/D.
So, as Stiamh says, anything with a D row but you would normally grab a C natural for G tunes and  G# for A tunes plus any other mad notes you wish.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 07:24:17 PM »

So you get the idea Peadar. Really though it's a term that only makes sense in terms of the contrast between the older style of playing and B/C, and mainly I would say older style of two-row playing, as Rees mentions, because there's no need to say anything about a one-row! 

B/C is sometimes referred to being played "on the draw" because - in the key of D at least - you have a run of 5 notes that can all be played on the pull. So B/C players congratulated themselves on having transcended the limitations, on having got beyond press-and-draw. The assumption seems to be one of pity for the poor old-style players who have to do all that tiresome bellows heaving, LOL. 

But the concept doesn't really stand up to scrutiny. As soon as you get into other keys B/C becomes almost as much a press and draw machine as a C#/D (G major is very much a "press" key on B/C and more of a "draw" key on C#/D), and whatever lovely fluency you have in Am on a B/C, well it's right there for you in Bm on C#/D.

Also, so-called press-and-draw players don't stick to pressing and drawing (e.g. Jackie Daly and Tony MacMahon often play B/C style) and B/C players don't stick to playing on the draw (Joe Burke and others like to play certain D tunes in C), and younger players like Dermot Byrne and Sharon Shannon can't really be put into either category. So the term is of pretty limited usefulness IMO!  :|glug

Peadar

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 09:41:08 PM »

I am starting to get the impression that D was the preferred melodeon key in Ireland in the days of the 1 row.

I was taken with David Hanrahan's description (intro to "The Box") of the one row melodeon as having a unique rythm. One aspect of this seems to be that since the same volume of air has to go in and out of the box, you tend to play draw notes more loudly in a passage with mainly press notes and vica versa.

I do wonder whether the very fast pace at which Kimmel and Wyper played in their earliest recordings was more to do with getting enough volume out of the melodeon to activate the purely mechanical recording needle than optimisation of the speed of the music for dancing. The power output of the bellows is quite literally = (P x S x A) / t , where P= gauge pressure of air in bellows, S = Travel distance of stroke, A = cross sectional area of the bellows and t= time of individual stroke.The faster the bellows move the higher the gauge pressure .

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 10:27:44 PM »

I see why you asked the question Peadar. The string "press and draw" occurs 43 times in Máire Ní Chaoimh's thesis! Also, once you get past the first few occurrences, which specifically concern the "melodeon" (one-row), practically all the references are to players of two-row systems, which bears out my original reference to any box with a D row (which should perhaps be "any box with a row used as a D row", to allow for D/C#, D/D# and C/C# systems).

Peadar

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 10:37:54 PM »

I am going to take a guess that 42 of those references are after page 200, since that's roughly where I have got to so far!

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 11:52:32 PM »

I am starting to get the impression that D was the preferred melodeon key in Ireland in the days of the 1 row.

And still is, very much so!
See modern melodeon players, Emma Corbett, Bobby Gardiner, Johnny Connolly, Brendan Begley, etc.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

richard.fleming

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 08:34:38 AM »

I think much of the stuff about how much you use the bellows when playing 'press and draw' is of limited relevance. Especially if you are playing in the full range of keys available and used in ITM. For a long time Joe Burke's style of playing  - brilliant in it's way, you have to say at this point  - dominated Irish box playing. Press and draw is, in my view, about leaving behind that very smooth and highly ornamented style for a way of playing that is seen as a return to an older and perhaps more authentic style of playing, when your ornaments occur in particular places to give a snap and a lift to the tunes and are not, as with Joe Burke, pretty well wall-to-wall. You can't really do the Joe Burke thing on a C#/D, but it is more about people who wanted to leave the Joe Burke style behind signalling this by their move to the C#/D, which move also gives a clue to the historic players who inspired them. There was a time when most young players sounded like Joe Burke and played his tunes, and it was high time that went, I think it was very samey, a bit mechanical and ultimately boring.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 08:51:26 AM by richard.fleming »
Old Paolo Sopranis in C#/D and D/D#

Squeaky Pete

• Squeaky Pete
  • Re-hohn a Hohner
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 09:05:35 AM »

I've found a few Joe Burke videos on YouTube and I can hear the intricacies in his playing. I can't really see what he's doing though.
Can you explain how this relates to press and draw, and what box he plays. Has he always played like this or is this a fiollow on from one row playing?
I ask as someone who had an interest in ITM when I was young, but has been with players in the English tradition for 40 or more years.
Poker work DG.
Pariselle 2.6 DG, Ex-Club IIIBS CF,
Matching Liliputs in CF and DG,
Lots of sickly Hohners needing TLC,
Bassoon, Various Bagpipes........

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2019, 10:17:42 AM »

I've found a few Joe Burke videos on YouTube and I can hear the intricacies in his playing. I can't really see what he's doing though.
Can you explain how this relates to press and draw, and what box he plays. Has he always played like this or is this a fiollow on from one row playing?
I ask as someone who had an interest in ITM when I was young, but has been with players in the English tradition for 40 or more years.

Could write you an essay about this but the information is all out there.

I recommend you download and read Máire Ní Chaoimh's PhD thesis, which Peadar linked to above.

If that's too much study to take on, Steve Chambers' potted history of Irish box playing is also very informative: https://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?/topic/2347-irish-button-boxes/

If that is too much, here's my potted history: George Jones invented the C/C#, Peter Wyper invented inside-out playing of the C/C# and then the B/C, Peter Wyper begat Paddy O'Brien and Paddy O'Brien begat Joe Burke. (:)

Peadar

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2019, 11:29:05 AM »

ITM?

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2019, 11:42:12 AM »

ITM?

Irish Traditional Music (I guess!)
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Peadar

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2019, 09:16:15 PM »

What I am trying to play is "Ceol Gaidhealach" ....which describes accurately old highland music, in which words- in Gaelic- invariably are part of the original composition.
It has sometimes been claimed that the linguistic aspect of this music had no merit - and there was a fashion from the late 18th to the early 20th century for dumping the words when traditional tunes were taken down by collectors and more often than not set in fiddle keys. This practice seems to have been common in both Scotland and Ireland. (I am however much less certain of the strength of the historical relationship of the Gaelic to Irish Traditional Music)

Accenting of the first syllable of words is a feature of Scottish Gaelic speech but accenting of second syllable of words is a feature of Irish Gaelic speech. If you  play ceol Gaidhealach on a one row (with minimal air button) the rise and fall of volume potentially provides accenting of the musical phrases which may run across, counter and/or syncopate with the words.

In a port-a-beul the words carry the tune, in a song (oran) the melody (fonn) carries the words. Port-a-beul (Tune from mouth) is in essence sung music for dancing.

I am looking forward to finding how this works out - from the perspective of a middle aged mediocre Gaelic speaking singer/country/ceilidh dancer trying to establish a small repertoire of accordion songs/tunes. I have already learned that if I want to learn a tune on the bocsa-ciuil I first have to learn to sing at least the chorus and one verse.

Oh Yes! The instrument I will be using is a 1 row in G. It seemed the most suitable because it reflects the keys in which many puirt have been set.

Tha mi, mar a thuirt am fear eile, "A' sireadh Spórs".

Peadar
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 09:26:59 PM by Peadar »

gettabettabox

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2019, 11:27:18 PM »

A “bothy box.”

richard.fleming

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2019, 07:03:24 AM »

What I am trying to play is "Ceol Gaidhealach" ...
Peadar

Do you have any references to this music that I (we) could look up?
Old Paolo Sopranis in C#/D and D/D#

Peadar

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2019, 10:29:05 AM »

Do you have any references to this music that I (we) could look up?

Not quite sure what you mean but if you want to get a taste of Ceol Gaidhealach you could do worse than listen to any programme from "Mire ri Mor", BBC Radio nan Gaidheal, 10.00-12.00  Monday-Friday. Specifically listening out for the unaccompanied solo voice pieces.

The definitive collection of Puirt-a-beul is Keith Norman MacDonald's which was published in the 1901 and reprinted in 1931. He also gives the puirt in tonic solfa notation.

There are literally hundreds of booklets of Gaelic songs, prescribed for various Mod competitions over many years- these usually include at least some puirt a beul.

I would also recommend Allan MacDonald "Dastirum" ISBN 978-0-9546729-1-1

Both KN MacDonald and Alan MacDonald a hundred years apart  are well known for their view that puirt-a-beul is generally sung too fast. In highland (and Scottish country- which derives it's footwork from Highland steps) dancing there is a lot of leg movement and this limits the speed at which dances can be enjoyed. The tongue can generally move faster than the leg!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 11:49:57 AM by Peadar »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal