Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chord progressions and bass lines  (Read 6888 times)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: Chord progressions and bass lines
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2019, 01:09:57 PM »

"I think we all aspire to 'automatism'."

...However, to work automatically would (IMO) remove the "fun" aspect of playing, as well as the tension inherent (which could be either slight or serious) in the uncertainty of whether a bum note might be hit occasionally.

I think you are misunderstanding the intended meaning of automatism, here, Edward. When I read this it jarred slightly, until I realised he probably meant have an intimate and automatic understanding of the possibilities for chording, not "play like an automaton".

I appreciate your observation about the tension inherent in not being certain if the right note is going to be the one that comes out. I am not sure if the adrenalin hit helps or hinders, though  :D.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2019, 03:16:49 PM »

I too was at the same weekend with Andy Cutting last year as Julian and remember his Memory Palace ( map ) comment.
He also said given a new tune, he will play it for at least a day, looking at all the ins and outs of it before embarking on a particular way of playing. From previous threads, I think Andy will take a full day and regard that as a working day, so not a couple times through the tune a few times during the day but a proper 'working day's' worth.
Playing a tune continuously for a day must get it into the brain so much that you can automatically play the tune whilst improvising an accompaniment or working out which way to go.
You can improvise on the fly if you don't need to think about what notes come next.

I's like anything. Once you know what you are doing and where to go in a particular morris dance, you can put that down to automatic memory, you have freed up the brain so you *can* think about how to improve your performance in a dance, better timing, little nuances that make the dance even better.
That's my take on it.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2019, 04:32:17 PM »

Yet another "broken record" posting of an old saying regarding difficulty/time spent:

"The first 30 years is the hard part."

Told to me by a great Frnech-Canadian fiddler.
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2019, 05:27:36 PM »

... I think Andy will take a full day and regard that as a working day, so not a couple times through the tune a few times during the day but a proper 'working day's' worth.
Playing a tune continuously for a day must get it into the brain so much that you can automatically play the tune whilst improvising an accompaniment or working out which way to go.
You can improvise on the fly if you don't need to think about what notes come next...

I think that is part of the difference between the amateur striving for excellence and the truly professional excellent musician. I have fond memories of the Leveret weekend.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2019, 06:06:51 PM »

When I wrote that, in the back of my mind was a comment from Ian Dedic of this parish.
He helped Andy when first starting out and seeing if it was right for him. Ian said he practiced every day, 7-8 hours a day  for a year, and then thought he might give it a go!
I get the sense that Andy has an incredible work ethic which he applies to his playing.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal