Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: shrewsbury folk festival 2019  (Read 1773 times)

george garside

shrewsbury folk festival 2019
« on: March 31, 2019, 01:08:23 PM »

Shrewsbury Folk Festival 2019. August Bank Holiday Weekend. I will once again be running a series of 5 progressive DG specific workshops.  More detail to follow or contact me via personal message on this forum with particular queries. General information and list of  stage performers , morris sides etc etc on festival website.

george :||: :|||: :|glug :|glug
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

george garside

Re: shrewsbury folk festival 2019
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 12:07:50 PM »

As in previous years I will be running 5 workshops at Shrewsbury Folk Festival ( Aug bank holiday weekend)  .  the 5 workshops will be progressive  and will  be based on 3   very different   but  not unduly difficult tunes.  The first 2 workshops will , all being well, enable participants to get  the bare bones of the tunes  , the second two workshops will  be about bringing the tunes up to a reasonable playing standard  and the fifth so called 'masterclass' will enable us to  add a bit more 'polish' and discuss  ways of so doing.  In other words the workshops will be more about developing 'technique' than just playing tunes!

The workshops will be  DG  but one row players with either of these keys may find some of the stuff useful if they've nothing better to do!

I will not be able to  work at absolute beginner level  but  those who can 'play'  two or 3 tunes should be able to benefit.  However 'absolute beginners' are more than welcome to come along  to soak up ''melodeon stuff'' that will hopefully be useful as they progress.

george

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 12:51:40 PM »

George, any ideas as to the timing of the workshops?
I'm booked to dance so expect to be 'up town's during the daytime, when I suspect they'll be held....
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

george garside

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 01:32:02 PM »

I hav.t got an official timetable yet but presumably same as past years

workshop 1   sat 10-11am,
               2    ''    11 -12am

3  sun  10 - 11 am
                4   ''     11 - 12am

5  mon  11 - 12 am

note the Saturday and sunday workshops   do not have a break between them  so in a way its two long workshops on sat and sun  and a single one on Monday.

george

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 01:45:00 PM »

Thanks George.
We haven't got our programme yet, but almost certainly won't be around during the lunchtime if other years are anything to go by. I doubt if we'll know till much nearer the date.
Still, at least I know you'll be there....
Cheers...
Q

Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Pazza

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 10:27:40 PM »

Hi George I’m  a beginner and am interested in your workshops could you keep me informed please, ie.where they are being held and any music you might be using thanks.
Dino Baffetti DG

george garside

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 11:44:02 PM »

Hi Pazza.  Won't know  my venue until the festival programme comes out  but for the past few years I have been in the beer tent!. However all events are on one site

I do not  provide details of  the  tunes I will be using ahead of the festival  so as not to give anyone an unfair advantage! I  do however provide all learning material  at the start of the workshops

george

Pazza

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 12:18:47 AM »

Thanks George, will the workshops be suitable for beginners?
Dino Baffetti DG

george garside

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 09:42:19 PM »

whilst the workshops are not designed for absolute beginners  they should be ok for anyone that can play a few tunes.   They are also well suited to anyone who sees themselves as 'intermediate' improver' or whatever  whilst self styled 'advanced players are welcome  to chuck in their three peneth and absolute beginners  are also very welcome to observe andpossibly join in where they can.

as far as I know they will be held in the beer tent but I won't know the venue for certain until the programme is published.

The format of the workshops is very simple.   The first two workshops and maybe part of the third will enable us to get our heads round 3 tunes at least to the stage of playing the right notes in the right order and at the same time!   the rest of the time will be spent  exploring ways/techniques of adding musicality to the tunes  adding techniques that can also be used on other tunes.  In other words the emphasis will be on learning to play the melodeon rather than just adding tunes to ones repertoire.

The dots together with button numbers and push pull indicators will be provided at the appropriate point  and will not be available in advance (nor will the names of the tunes)   

Hopefully it will be enjoyable   and not too seriarse

george

« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 11:29:50 PM by george garside »

george garside

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 11:51:03 AM »

The tunes we will be working on and hopefully getting the hang of in the melodeon workshops will be

one from the basque region (spain/france)
one from  north east england
one from Ireland

As far as I am aware there are still a few tickets for the festival  .see festival website for full programme of events  and ticket availability (and camping facilities)
george
george
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal