Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: For Folk's Sake: Morris Dancing and Me  (Read 8852 times)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Re: For Folk's Sake: Morris Dancing and Me
« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2019, 01:16:28 PM »

Swoon...  ;D
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2019, 01:19:32 PM »

Greg, you may well be right. I would think though, as articulate as Kimber was, C# allowed him to become known and be a celebrity.
I'm not sure that would have happened without the catalyst of C#, but who knows.....
Q

My point is that the perpetuation of the morris did not not come from celebrity. Quite the opposite. Celebrity nearly killed it.
Mr Sharp had the narrowest of narrow view points, which could easily have resulted in the demise of everything except his favoured forms of morris and morris practice.

Look at the vigour of what what survived in other parts of the country. This wasn't Sharp's doing and it happened without the need for fame.

Anyway, back to melodeons...
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2019, 01:22:30 PM »

And did Cecil ever express any opinions regarding melodeons ? I can make some guesses ! >:E

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2019, 02:42:05 PM »

This is such an interesting thread! I would agree that Cecil Sharp probably was instrumental at preserving morris and English country dance, but clearly at the same time he ossified it in an unnatural way and overlaid many of his own personal biases or interpretations on the material. I think one of the Brass Monkey CDs keeps going on in the liner notes about Sharp's "bizarre editorial choices" (such as naming the "Radstock Jig" when it clearly is not a jig).

Of course once you introduce the pursuit of a wholesome hobby in the name of tradition the dynamic shifts dramatically and the nipping off to the pub with your mates becomes a noble pursuit.

Ah, but was morris dance considered a wholesome hobby back then? My very first exposure to morris dancing was in an old 1971 episode of "Doctor Who" in which a country village's morris side (played by Headington Quarry!) surround the Doctor on the village green while dancing "Young Collins", trap him with their sticks, and tie him to the maypole to the strains of "The Black Joke". It did seem like there was a predisposition to considering them a bit shifty at the time!
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #104 on: April 09, 2019, 02:52:34 PM »

My very first exposure to morris dancing was in an old 1971 episode of "Doctor Who" in which a country village's morris side (played by Headington Quarry!) surround the Doctor on the village green while dancing "Young Collins", trap him with their sticks, and tie him to the maypole to the strains of "The Black Joke". It did seem like there was a predisposition to considering them a bit shifty at the time!

Mine?  The year would have been about 1977. I was in the beer garden of the Rose and Crown pub in Cotgrave, Nottingham. My Dad was inside the pub and I was sitting there with my bottle of coke with a straw and a packet of salt'n'shake. The morris men (probably Dolphin or Sherwood Foresters given the geography) were dancing in the beer garden.  One of the villagers, sitting on a low wall, said something along the lines of 'I think these bloody morris men are a bunch of (insert homophobic term of your choice here)'.  One of the lead morris men turned to his heckler and punched him square on the nose, knocking him backwards off the wall on which he was sitting. Five year old Nellie put down her crisps to watch.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 03:34:24 PM by Helena Handcart »
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #105 on: April 09, 2019, 02:55:10 PM »

My very first exposure to morris dancing was in an old 1971 episode of "Doctor Who" in which a country village's morris side (played by Headington Quarry!) surround the Doctor on the village green while dancing "Young Collins", trap him with their sticks, and tie him to the maypole to the strains of "The Black Joke". It did seem like there was a predisposition to considering them a bit shifty at the time!
For me it was mentions in Pratchett's books (which weren't very informative) and the endless quips in Red Dwarf. The latter definitely made me prejudiced.
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #106 on: April 09, 2019, 03:16:56 PM »

My very first exposure to morris dancing was...
...at the Village Pump Folk Dance and Song Club at a huge pub (The Bell?) on the Binley Road(?) in Coventry
in the '69-'70 academic year. It was a rapper side - I can still remember the buzz I got when they did that
business with the interlocked swords. It was also an interesting juxtaposition of 'ritual' and 'social' dance...

The second was Abingdon on May Day  in '71.

I didn't realise it at the time, but those two outings were quite a contrast.
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #107 on: April 09, 2019, 03:35:29 PM »

Devon County Show 1976.
I remember saying it was good to see but something I'd never do. In just over a year I joined a side and have never escaped. Never wanted to...
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #108 on: April 09, 2019, 03:50:10 PM »

My very first exposure to morris dancing was...
...at the Village Pump Folk Dance and Song Club at a huge pub (The Bell?) on the Binley Road(?) in Coventry
in the '69-'70 academic year. It was a rapper side - I can still remember the buzz I got when they did that
business with the interlocked swords. It was also an interesting juxtaposition of 'ritual' and 'social' dance...

The second was Abingdon on May Day  in '71.

I didn't realise it at the time, but those two outings were quite a contrast.

The Bull's Head, Binley Road, run (the club, that is, not the pub!) by Jim Brannnigan. In 69/70 there would have been two choices of rapper side in the West Midlands - Green Man or Wayfarers. It would probably have been us (Wayfarers) as we had quite close ties with The Village Pump. If so, I'm glad we were able to inspire you!

Graham
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 04:14:58 PM by GPS »
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #109 on: April 09, 2019, 09:25:24 PM »

For me it was mentions in Pratchett's books (which weren't very informative) and the endless quips in Red Dwarf. The latter definitely made me prejudiced.

:D The first time I ever danced morris was doing the Stick and Bucket dance in performances of Mr Pratchet's Lord's and Ladies, under the tutalage of one Ivor Read, the, then, Squire of Trigg Morrismen. Topical comment alert (well, nearly): I just discovered that they have become a mixed side and are inviting ladies to join. The times they really are a changing.

My first exposure was probably by the Two Ronnies
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #110 on: April 09, 2019, 09:47:03 PM »

Superb programme. It explored tradition, sociology, history, and quite frankly a few modern social trends pretty bravely, well shot, and a personal journey too!

Personal journey: I joined Sallyport sword at 27, to watch the team fall apart in front of me (all happy again now). Switched to Newcastle MM, and slowly moved to musicanship after age 33 when my wife bought me 1st melodeon (my attempts at concertina was torturing both wife, and cat)!  Career then took me to Wirral and joining Mersey Morris … a lot of instant friends. Isn't that what it's all about?
  _       _    _      _ 

Ray H

« Reply #111 on: April 09, 2019, 11:03:04 PM »

Having read the various comments and opinions on this this thread I settled down this evening  to watch the program with some trepidation and was pleasantly surprised. I thought it was in fact a lovely example of serious TV journalism dealing carefully with a tricky subject and at the same time entertaining and possibly educating the audience. A follow up in three or four years time would be very interesting.

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2019, 06:10:00 AM »

The Bull's Head, Binley Road...
Thanks. I wasn't sure I'd got the pub name correct! A great club - I first saw Finbar and Eddie Furey there too...
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal