Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: For Folk's Sake: Morris Dancing and Me  (Read 8835 times)

Howard Jones

Re: For Folk's Sake: Morris Dancing and Me
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2019, 11:40:29 AM »

homogeneous
/ˌhɒmə(ʊ)ˈdʒiːnɪəs,ˌhəʊmə(ʊ)ˈdʒiːnɪəs/
adjective
1. of the same kind; alike.
"if all jobs and workers were homogeneous"
synonyms:   similar, comparable, equivalent, like, analogous, corresponding, correspondent, parallel, matching, kindred, related, correlative, congruent, cognate
"you must consider cost efficiency to compete with homogeneous products"
2. CHEMISTRY denoting a process involving substances in the same phase (solid, liquid, or gaseous).
"homogeneous catalysis"

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2019, 12:52:25 PM »

BTW we all wear green trousers!

Didn't realise you'd joined Sheffield City... :|glug
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2019, 01:15:47 PM »

;D
I was thinking the same Baz!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2019, 01:51:01 PM »

Ours are darker green - green,gold and white, colours of the Cyprus flag......

I had a chat to some members of Sheffield City a few years back at Whitby - slightly different concept from Cyprus Morris  ;) :|glug
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2019, 02:18:54 PM »

...and a bit cooler temperature wise!
Good friends with Sheffield, a good lot to be with.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Sue

• Good talker
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2019, 05:31:32 PM »

William Kimber was complementary about Women dancing Morris, but women's Morris dancing goes back a lot longer than that.

Kirtlington Lamb Ale is a Whitsun Ale in Kirtlington, Oxfordshire that can be traced back to the early 1600's.
In 1679 it is recorded it was "......attended with a Morisco dance of men, and another of women, where the rest of the day is spent in dancing, mirth and merry glee."

https://kirtlington-morris.org.uk/kirtlington-lamb-ale-2/

As for fluffy morris:  i grew up in Liverpool and there was a local annual Carnival procession with at least 3 or 4 troupes of "fluffy" morris dancers.  Although I can see how they could have developed out of North West processional Morris, I don't remember them being called Morris dancers then, certainly not "fluffy Morris', but I may be wrong as I was never involved in any.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 05:33:14 PM by Sue »
Oakwood D/G, Karel van der Leeuw D/G
G/D anglo concertina
CRY HAVOC MORRIS

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2019, 07:50:23 AM »

At a Saturday session yesterday, I bumped into two more folks who saw the film, one a (Morris)
dancer, one not. Both seemed to think it was a very fair presentation of the 'dilemma', 'crisis', or
whatever you want to call it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 07:52:02 AM by Roger Hare »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2019, 08:08:24 AM »

Just thinking about Sue's comment about Kirtlington:
It reminds me, I think Roy said it was the famous Foreman of Ilmington who, when standing down after his time teaching the side to dance, then trained a boys side and a girls side. The traditional sides had no problem with the concept.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2019, 08:50:27 AM »

The traditional sides had no problem with the concept.

My paternal ancestry is Cotswolds for generations back, agricultural stock basically, until my grandfather returned from the trenches of World War 1 to find no work on the land. He relocated to Wales and raised a large family of which my father is the youngest and from middle childhood years he would be sent to spend the summers with his Cotswold cousins. A few years ago when he found out about me taking to the bells and hankies he commented that it was 'in my blood' and he was pleased I had taken the family full circle - he well remembered watching his aunts and his uncles dancing on the village greens in his childhood.  No mention of just the men dancing or anything controversial about the women dancing. My father is not a morris man and had no idea there even was, or could be,  a problem with it.  Not that it would have stopped me if there had been to be honest, tradition is a living, breathing thing - to be guarded and treasured but not kept under glass, unchanged.

Right, that's my thought for the day. Off to molly practice now.

Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

ACE

« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2019, 09:38:03 AM »

I took a look at the programme, very good. But I got the message that letting female dancers join Ring sides seemed to me more about survival of the aging sides than the traditional women dancing at whitsun  etc argument. I have a sneaky feeling it would never have happened if we still had the young sides we had back in the seventies. I am not against it myself by the way. Our local Ring side now have a wife of a younger member dancing and she is very good. It certainly livened up their dancing.
Saltarelle Horizon, Dino mini, Lachenal g/d anglo

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2019, 10:08:23 AM »

Helena, it's weird how things go full circle.
I joined a local side and some years later my uncle told me he used to dance. With a surname of Hemmings, I assumed he danced with Abingdon but no, his parents separated and he moved with his mother to Elsfield. The local teacher's husband got the young cricketers ( he was one) to bolster the sides' numbers when they had double bookings on a day. They would put 3 of the side and 3 young cricketers and dance at several occasions on the same day so increasing the side's takings for the day.
He danced with Headington in the 40's and had 'some old white haired bloke playing concertina..'
'Er could that be William Kimber?'
'Yep that was his name... a right old bugger cos he'd just start and you had to be ready...' None of this 'ok lads, let's go now?' then!
I was stunned, I knew nothing of my uncle's past, and only discovered it after taking up the bells.
Funny how things go.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2019, 10:40:10 AM »

...tradition is a living, breathing thing - to be guarded and treasured but not kept under glass, unchanged.

Absolutely
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2019, 10:58:34 AM »

Yes, and manuscripts show that Morris had evolved, individual village traditions had continued to evolve up until the point Sharpe collected them.
Why then freeze it at that point?
Makes no sense, and isn't...traditional!.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Graham Spencer

« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2019, 11:13:59 AM »

A quick skim through the lists of dancers and musicians of days gone by in Keith Chandler's excellent "Morris Dancing In The English South Midlands 1660-1900" reveals quite a number of female participants. I recall seeing an 18th Century painting somewhere- I think it may have been Upton House, but it's a long while ago now so it could well be somewhere entirely different - of a rural scene including a morris side consisting of three men and three women, so it probably wasn't particularly unusual then.
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Gareth Sprack

« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2019, 01:01:59 PM »

I have always said the good thing about traditions are, you can always invent a new one and change the old as required.

Sue

• Good talker
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2019, 02:10:00 PM »

It's interesting finding out unexpected things about your ancestry. I didn't grow up knowing anything about Morris but quite recently my older sister mentioned that one of our Grandfathers had been a clog dancer.  I hadn't know anything about that!
Oakwood D/G, Karel van der Leeuw D/G
G/D anglo concertina
CRY HAVOC MORRIS

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2019, 02:34:03 PM »

...and after marrying my wife, she kept talking about a picture her mum has.
It turned up. A traditional high breeches fiddler in top hat
( her great grandfather ) and a side if women in mop caps dresses with one women being her grandmother.
Marked 'Spon End ( Coventry ) June 19th 1909'

No wonder my kids never stood a chance!
Both have played for and also danced the Morris.
Q
proud father of two daughts!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 05:08:39 PM by Thrupenny Bit »
Thrupenny Bit

Graham Spencer

« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2019, 06:57:07 PM »

My only claim to a trad Morris connection is that my great grandfather came from Brackley, though I have no evidence that he was involved in the Morris. However my grandmother, his daughter, learned Morris dancing at school in Birmingham in the early years of the 20th century.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2019, 09:00:25 PM »

...and she would have learnt from Sharpe's books that he got into schools as mentioned in my earlier list, as did my mum, and I vaguely remember similar things including country dancing when I was at primary school. It seemed in the shires it continued into our lifetimes .
Q

Thrupenny Bit

Alan Pittwood

• Regular debater
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2019, 08:24:23 AM »

... and at Stafford County Junior School (Eastbourne, Sussex) [1957-1961] there was country dancing for everyone and Bean setting, Headington and the Flamborough longsword dance for the boys.   All performed to 78 rpm records: including an outdoor performance of the morris and the sword dance in the grounds of one of the long-demolished big houses on Upperton Road.
Hohner Erica D/G.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal