Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: English Country Music Weekend 2019 Booking now open  (Read 2647 times)

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
English Country Music Weekend 2019 Booking now open
« on: April 02, 2019, 10:38:07 AM »

The English Country Music Weekend (ECMW) is a weekend for musicians who mainly play English folk or dance music. It is suitable for players of all of the usual (and unusual) instruments used for accompanying dance and song in the British Isles. It consists mainly of a series of music sessions, most of which are lightly led by an established musician. Some are hosted in local pubs, some in local halls. Usually provision is made for Tent, Caravan and Camper Van camping with showers and toilets available. Local hotels and B&B would be available and sometimes breakfast is available locally. Local pubs and restaurants provide other meals. The main event venue will usually be licensed.

This year – 2019 ECMW will happen in Croston in West Lancashire on the 28,29 and 30th of June.

Some details of the programme can be found here:

https://englishcountrymusicweekend.org.uk/programme-for-the-weekend/.

Booking is here;

https://englishcountrymusicweekend.org.uk/weekend-tickets?ml=1
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 01:51:02 PM by brianread »
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
Re: English Contry Music Weekend 2019 Booking now open
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 12:51:07 PM »

Unfortunately I will miss the event this year due to a prior booking but would strongly recommend it to anyone interested in playing English tunes. The quality of sessions is high but welcoming.

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
Re: English Country Music Weekend 2019 Booking now open
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 06:16:58 AM »

Here's an article written for one of the local folk magazines about ECMW which I thought people might enjoy:

English Country Music Weekend
28th, 29th and 30th June

Country Music?    Yes, but not those dreary guitar-laden songs about dead dogs, dying horses and unfaithful lovers.   The “country” referred to is the English countryside, and the music – mostly dance tunes – that has been collected throughout its length and breadth, or been written by people deeply faithful to their – to our! – tradition.

“ECMW” is possibly one of the best-kept secrets on the English folk-music scene.   People tend to find out about it largely by word of mouth, or by happening across it by accident;  but usually once they experience it, they want to do so again.   Imagine, if you play the fiddle, harp, concertina, whistle, melodeon (or saxophone, trombone or sousaphone!), what it might be like to spend not just one evening, but a whole weekend, playing in pubs, community halls, scout huts – whatever venues are in the locality, with anything up to about 150 people all at once!   And imagine that the music is played with the kind of lift and “bounce” that is too often missing from the average pub session!   Imagine going back to your own “home” session with that kind of enthusiasm and inspiration, and infecting your fellow-players with it!

The Weekend has its own traditions, one of which is that it stays in one town or village for two years, then moves on.   Recently it has been to the Derbyshire village of Winster (whence come “Winster Gallop” and “Winster Morris Reel”), to the Oxfordshire village of Bampton, one of the homes of Cotswold Morris, and to Abbots Bromley, where the Horn Dancers’ antlers have hung on the parish church wall for longer than history can recall.   This year it comes to the Lancashire village of Croston.   Those southerners who labour under the illusion that “the north” is unrelenting grime, grit and grimness will discover a Lancashire village to rival any in the south for its charm, its community and the quality of its pubs (and the beer’s cheaper, too!)

If you would like to be part of this joyous celebration of our music tradition, type “englishcountrymusicweekend” into any search engine, and follow the booking instructions there.    You can have the whole weekend for £25, or £30 if you want to go to the ceilidh.   Camping is £5 per person per night, or £7.50 for a caravan.
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 07:15:36 AM »

Country Music?    Yes, but not those dreary guitar-laden songs about dead dogs, dying horses and unfaithful lovers.   The “country” referred to is the English countryside, and the music – mostly dance tunes – that has been collected throughout its length and breadth, or been written by people deeply faithful to their – to our! – tradition.

So... songs about incest, murder, death with a few shipwrecks, drowned lovers and a dash of innuendo thrown in?

It sounds wonderful  :|||:
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 08:53:07 AM »

So... songs about incest, murder, death with a few shipwrecks, drowned lovers and a dash of innuendo thrown in?

It sounds wonderful  :|||:

Don’t forget all the songs about randy sailors and soldiers deserting their gravity girlfriends in order to take part in wars of imperial conquest.  Lots of them.😉
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 09:25:26 AM »

"gravity girlfriends"???

And here was me, thinking that I was a man of the world!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 04:26:00 AM »

This made me laugh! I'm not sure I've come across any old songs about incest, but they certainly are steeped in death, tragedy, and, shall we say, "less than positive role models", aren't they?
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 08:19:57 AM »

Incest ballads are definitely a thing. Lucy Wan and Sheath and Knife are two well known examples. Usually followed by murder and/or suicide...
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

ChrisP

• Respected Sage
  • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Chris Partington
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 09:22:13 AM »

Any similarity to the content on offer on the TV is of course entirely coincidental.  :|glug

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 09:53:31 AM »

Incest ballads are definitely a thing. Lucy Wan and Sheath and Knife are two well known examples. Usually followed by murder and/or suicide...

Yup, 'Lucy Wan' was the one I was thinking of - and all it's variants. You know the sorta thing, brother kills sister after getting her up the duff then tells his mother the resulting blood is from his dog/horse/insert animal of choice.  This is about as believable shooting your girlfriend then claiming you thought she was a swan (yer honour).
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 11:24:38 AM »

"gravity girlfriends"???

And here was me, thinking that I was a man of the world!

Ärse.  I have now corrected it.  Spiel clucker.

No I haven’t!  It won’t let me, s gravity/gravid.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 11:29:18 AM by Chris Rayner »
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 01:52:45 PM »

Yup, 'Lucy Wan' was the one I was thinking of - and all it's variants. You know the sorta thing, brother kills sister after getting her up the duff then tells his mother the resulting blood is from his dog/horse/insert animal of choice.  This is about as believable shooting your girlfriend then claiming you thought she was a swan (yer honour).

That sounds quite similar to "Hanged I Shall Be" which was apparently one of the biggest smash hit folk ballads ever in its day, and a prime example of the "less than positive role models" I referred to. Many versions (including the one on "Battle of the Field" where I first heard it) leave the murder motiveless which to me just makes the entire song more harrowing.

So yes, American country music has no monopoly on dreary and dismal topics!
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 03:03:48 PM »

title of the event has certainly led to some confusion over the years, but for our younger readers here's a bit of an explanation...
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 03:07:29 PM »

And not forgetting...

Very much the holy duo back in the day...

Alan Pittwood

• Regular debater
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2019, 04:04:41 PM »

True,  if you ignore the contemporary melodeon players that Peter Kennedy recorded in Northumberland and Cumberland.   And if you ignore Bob Cann and the travellers in the west country.   
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 04:11:47 PM by Alan Pittwood »
Hohner Erica D/G.

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2019, 12:18:29 PM »

True,  if you ignore the contemporary melodeon players that Peter Kennedy recorded in Northumberland and Cumberland.   And if you ignore Bob Cann and the travellers in the west country.

I was going to modify and say something along the very same lines, but got distracted by the arrival of a Chinese takeaway and a bottle of Chilean red... :|bl

Yes...the era referred to by a friend of mine who has done a lot of research into Northern tunes as "the rise of the Southern plodders..." Can't deny they were highly influential tho :|glug

Alan Pittwood

• Regular debater
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2019, 05:16:42 PM »

I was going to modify and say something along the very same lines, but got distracted by the arrival of a Chinese takeaway and a bottle of Chilean red... :|bl

Yes...the era referred to by a friend of mine who has done a lot of research into Northern tunes as "the rise of the Southern plodders..." Can't deny they were highly influential tho :|glug

The problem has been access.   Those of use who were able to visit the record library at Cecil Sharp House have been aware of the BBC/Kennedy material for over fifty years: but is only through the Voice of People series (and the more recent extensions) that these musicians have come to wider appreciation.

And as for the "Southern plodders" comment: how can you seriously make such a comment about the step dance tunes found in Devon, Sussex, Suffolk and Norfolk?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 09:22:31 PM by Alan Pittwood »
Hohner Erica D/G.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal