Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Chord progressions and bass lines  (Read 6906 times)

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
Re: Chord progressions and bass lines
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2019, 12:18:24 AM »

Here's a link I often post when talk turns to how we play music.  Guitar great Jimmy Raney on concious vs subconcious participation:

https://youtu.be/f29a1RL2ly0
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2019, 02:53:20 AM »

Here's a link I often post when talk turns to how we play music.  Guitar great Jimmy Raney on concious vs subconcious participation:

https://youtu.be/f29a1RL2ly0

Thanks for that, very interesting thoughts. I liked his phrase "I don't really think anyone can think as fast as we play". Or, in my experience, we can think only about portions of what we are playing, like remembering that you want to use a certain variation this time round, etc. But while the mind is conscious of that we have to rely on the subconscious (or "muscle memory") to take care of dynamics, or the left hand rhythm, etc., on autopilot.

But to be honest I have rarely got to the enlightened zen state of musicianship that some of these folks talk about. I have sort of scraped at it at times, especially the year I was practicing blues guitar on a daily basis. In fact I found it a little disturbing for a rational guy like myself, to suddenly feel like I understood why the ancients spoke of the Muses. Have not quite got there yet on the melodeon but I keep working at it! (:)
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2019, 08:02:53 AM »

It's a fascinating subject - what is happening whilst you play.
Last year at a workshop Andy Cutting touched upon it. His best attempt at explaining what happens is that over time playing a tune he constructs a three dimensional memory map in his head. Once built he 'goes there' so that once entering it he plays the tune and will not make mistakes.
He found it difficult to explain, as do any of us when asked what we are thinking about or where do we 'go' when playing.

I am conscious of what my left hand is doing, not in a controlling way (thinking play C, play G etc) but almost 'looking at it moving from the sky'.
Sounds like I've sprinkled something on my muesli but that's what I'm aware of when playing!
Q
Needing more tea....
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2019, 08:16:44 AM »

I am conscious of what my left hand is doing, not in a controlling way (thinking play C, play G etc) but almost 'looking at it moving from the sky'.
I'm exactly the same!
I haven't a clue what notes I play with my RH (even when I play the right ones ;D), but the LH choices are semi-conscious.
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2019, 08:26:50 AM »

How interesting!
Thank you for that. I have become aware of what's going on in my head when playing, and as odd as it sounds, that's the best description I can come up with.
I'm glad there's at least two of us like this  :|||:
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2019, 08:34:20 AM »

Oh, I forgot one thing! When I think "Play C", I actually mean "play the bass of the inner row key", or "play bottom left", because my brain thinks in GC layout regardless of the box I'm actually playing.
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2019, 08:44:00 AM »

This is scary.... I too don't think of the actual bass note/chord in musical terms but simply of my finger position and pattern in the 8 buttons.
Fascinating!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2019, 08:55:35 AM »

It seems I haven't explained myself well.
The words in my brain are "Play C" but I can be on any box, so it might not be C at all.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2019, 10:06:36 AM »

Oh, I forgot one thing! When I think "Play C", I actually mean "play the bass of the inner row key", or "play bottom left", because my brain thinks in GC layout regardless of the box I'm actually playing.
I'm in no-man's land at the moment. In an attempt to get more DG oriented, I've put down the GC box. Some times it takes me a while to clear my head especially when an Am chord comes along, but I am making progress in thinking in DG. If they were entirely different keys it would be easier, but they have so many chords in common.
If I'm working at something to upload, then I do work everything out in advance.
I have to confess to being a bit stuck in a groove and I'm thinking of having some lessons. I quite fancy the playing of Paul Young, but he's a fair hike away.
I don't think I'm a Skype person.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2019, 10:14:08 AM »

Eshed, no I understand, and I think we both work in the same way.

P&t, I work things out first then try and learn the tune. If when learning a little tweak happens, such as preferred or easier  fingering then I'll go with the change.
I wish Paul was closer to me, I really like his playing.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Roger Howard

« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2019, 10:41:38 AM »

I'm in no-man's land at the moment. In an attempt to get more DG oriented, I've put down the GC box.
I'm feeling much the same. I've just been on the Pariselle course at Halsway and come away with a lovely DG, which I'm trying to find my way round, at the same time as trying to take on board what Emmanuel said about chords and how important it is to achieve "automatism" - ie knowing just where which chord is and being able to go to it without thinking about it. Dreams ....

Roger
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2019, 11:00:17 AM »

I think we all aspire to 'automatism'.
One day...
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2019, 03:00:42 PM »

"I think we all aspire to 'automatism'."

I'm not sure that I quite agree with that, Q. I'm certainly aware that my fingers often move to the right buttons without any conscious direction (and sometime the wrong one!). However, to work automatically would (IMO) remove the "fun" aspect of playing, as well as the tension inherent (which could be either slight or serious) in the uncertainty of whether a bum note might be hit occasionally. 
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2019, 03:45:42 PM »

Well I think we can beg to differ.
To my mind, if your fingers become automatic, then it allows you to take it to the next level. Think about dynamic phrasing, how you want to play it at that moment in time, introduce light and dark, quiet or louder moments and really get into how you want to play it beyond playing all the notes in the right order.
....but others may well think differently!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2019, 04:09:04 PM »

To my mind, if your fingers become automatic, then it allows you to take it to the next level. Think about dynamic phrasing, how you want to play it at that moment in time, introduce light and dark, quiet or louder moments and really get into how you want to play it beyond playing all the notes in the right order.
Q

I prefer being guided by my feelings rather than mentation.  Birds sing thoughtlessly...
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2019, 04:46:30 PM »

Yes, that's what I was thinking of.... go beyond the mechanics.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

george garside

« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2019, 09:55:23 AM »

Q

totally agree and would add that it is vital to have a feedback loop operating throughout the proceedings to enable small adjustments to be made -- in other words listen to what you are playing!

which is rather like the need to watch the feet of dancers you are playing for in which case you need two feedback loops in operation - a visual one and an audiological one!

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2019, 11:42:07 AM »

Much as I enjoy the whole gamut of possible variation in left hand playing, it's down my list of priorities when playing for dance. That could be my inherent limitations in skill I suppose - but I am sure I learned quite a bit from simply playing alongside JK during my years in Shropshire Bedlams. Not that I could ever emulate his fantastic skill. In my mind, dancers won't really notice clever chords but certainly will if speed, emphasis, phrasing is wrong.
 I think Andy Cuttings approach is interesting - building a 'memory palace' in playing maybe ? Talking to him I know how much time he puts into really working out how he wants to play the tune - options on fingering,  chords, dynamics etc - and a lot of focussed practice. Personally, I learn melodies quite easily, but all the rest is much harder to retain. I think I just need to spend more time on each tune - and maybe make notes and keep a diary as memory gets increasingly rusty.

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2019, 12:14:35 PM »

I know how much time [Andy Cutting] puts into really working out how he wants to play the tune - options on fingering,  chords, dynamics etc - and a lot of focussed practice.

Apparently, that approach doesn't mean you can't do stuff spontaneously. From all I've heard, Leveret don't make planned arrangements of their tunes, but improvise on the fly. Of course, spending time on the tune's harmony, phrasing, dynamics etc. does help with that - when you know a tune inside out, it's easier to play harmonies against it.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2019, 12:42:24 PM »

Yes Anahata -as you say knowing the tune inside out is fundamental. I reckon they probably each build up a 'toolbox' of options but every performance is likely to be different. Their workshop weekend at Halsway last year was fantastic and I'm sure will be a highspot for me this time as well.

J

Old Bones Dance Band
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal