Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Songs of the Open Road: Didakei Ditties & Gypsy Dances  (Read 930 times)

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
Songs of the Open Road: Didakei Ditties & Gypsy Dances
« on: April 08, 2019, 02:06:05 PM »

I wanted to share an old collection of tunes and songs that I found online. I was searching for the original source of a tune in "John Kirkpatrick's English Choice" tunebook, a waltz named "Bonnets So Blue" that is very different from the usual jig. The other day I finally found a reference to this collection published in 1911 by Alice E Gillington. Seeing the original doesn't really shed any light on why it shares the name with the Morris tune, but at least now I know that it was collected as a Romani/Gypsy dance in Hampshire. There are a few other songs in this book that I have heard on various folk revival recordings as well (e.g., "Green Grow the Laurels").

Anyway, I hope some of you find this interesting/useful:

Songs of the Open Road
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: Songs of the Open Road: Didakei Ditties & Gypsy Dances
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 05:40:14 PM »

Thanks for that. These little gems keep turning up.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 06:35:00 PM »

Yes, I find it interesting to go back to the original sources, not just for some historic context but also to see how the tunes have been "melodeonised" or simply altered over years of session playing. Sometimes I've gone back to Playford or his contemporaries and found interesting differences from the widely known modern versions. "The Happy Clown" and "Prince William" are two recent examples that come to mind.

(In the case of "Bonnets So Blue" however, John Kirkpatrick's published version in his tunebook is identical to the one collected in 1911, even down to the key it's played in.)
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 09:08:28 PM »

... Sometimes I've gone back to Playford or his contemporaries and found interesting differences from the widely known modern versions....

(In the case of "Bonnets So Blue" however, John Kirkpatrick's published version in his tunebook is identical to the one collected in 1911, even down to the key it's played in.)

Sounds like John's setting is either a direct or second hand copy of the setting in SOTOR.
Are you aware that, in the time of Playford's publications, musicians were judged on their ability to play variations (I think they were known as divisions), so the tunes would not, normally, be played as they appear on the page, by any except beginners.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 09:11:09 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 05:43:49 AM »

The last tune in the book Fish and Taters (p.46) is used by Manchester Morris in one of their
North-West dances - I must ask our archivist where we got it from... [Aside: Bar 3 is misprinted?
The last two notes should be quavers, not crotchets?
]

Songs of the Open Road is listed in the Bibliography in Folk Song in England by A.L. Lloyd.

Also in t'other Folk Song in England by Steve Roud, where there is a short potted biography
(pp. 645-646), of Alice Gillington, and a short mention on p. 45.

Somewhat tangentially, Charles Parker, who produced the Radio Ballad The Travelling People
was the subject of Archive on 4 on Radio 4 on Saturday April 6:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00040r6
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 06:21:36 AM by Roger Hare »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 10:04:16 AM »

Thanks for that; I often wonder if my great-great-grandmother,who was a Boswell and travelled in the South and West Midlands, had any connection with the traveller tradition of melodeon-playing.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal