Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Different variations  (Read 3690 times)

Mark Leue

• Regular debater
Re: Different variations
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2019, 01:07:22 PM »

A difference on sessions in the US is you will rarely encounter another melodeon player.  so at least there's that. The bottom end is usually supplied by a guitar and sometimes double bass or piano. as I've only been playing melodeon a couple of months but have played guitar since  antediluvian times, the chordal underpinnings of the tunes is second nature to me. I'm kind of doing the opposite of the Irish thing in public at the moment, playing the basses and dropping the melody. It's great fun and a good chance to make the left hand more automatic and be able to work on the dynamics of the thing. and I don't often make errors or drag the rhythm that way.

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2019, 03:14:09 PM »

People hear things differently, so they play things differently.  Here's a classic musical take on differences:

https://youtu.be/zZ3fjQa5Hls

Wow!  Never seen that before.  So all will be well if you can play your tunes while tap dancing on roller skates.  Not only that, but smiling with an agreeably animated expression.  I think I may have to call the whole thing off.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 02:33:43 PM by Chris Rayner »
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2019, 03:57:36 PM »

People hear things differently, so they play things differently.  Here's a classic musical take on differences:

https://youtu.be/zZ3fjQa5Hls

Wow!  Never seen that before.  So all will be well if you can play your tunes while tap dancing on roller skates.  Not only that, but smiling with an agreeably animated express.  I think I may have to call the whole thing off.

Sort of.

Perhaps trying to coordinate a session of players with various levels of experience, ability and styles might be analogous to tap dancing on roller skates...
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Barlow

• Bad player, good talker apparently
  • Regular debater
  • Castagnari Lilly B/C Erica D/G
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2019, 04:35:46 PM »

Usually we all take out our tune books, and the designated tunemaster presents forth the master score for that evening. We then spend an hour or two carefully comparing one another's copy of the tune against the various reference tomes and, after a short debate, we decide which one is the most correct version. Then we all go home.

Has anyone here ever played in a brass band? Particularly one that contests against other bands, where a single piece is stripped down to its barest constituent part and analysed and practiced many 100's of time over a period of many weeks. Then compete against maybe a dozen or more other bands that have gone through the same process, and judged on such things as tuning, technicality, expression, phrasing, adherence to tempos (there maybe a dozen or more in a single test piece), ensemble, balance, intonation, interpretation and so on and so on.

In many ways, sessions are the diametrically opposed version of this genre of music.
. . .

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2019, 04:51:39 PM »

"In many ways, sessions are the diametrically opposed version of this genre of music."

So.......in many ways just like playing melodeons; ideal for non-conformists!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Anne Croucher

• Regular debater
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2019, 05:27:02 PM »

I am Gena's mother - I am a lot better at playing if I sit opposite her and watch what she does - I can usually start on the right row by watching where she puts her hands as she waxes lyrical, or Mixolydian, about the key the tune is going to be in.
It helps for me to know that her beautiful box is fourth button start and my accidentals are the other way around.
I have only just begun to get into basses, which surprised me a little as I am left handed - maybe I am also left brained and so more in tune with the treble end. 
I do find that I need to practice alone, as playing with others makes me a little lazy about putting all the twiddles in.
Barcarole D/G
Hohner Ericas D/G and C/F
Hohner el Rey del Vallenato A/D/G aka 'Elvis'
Hohner Liliput Bb/Eb club layout
Meinel & Herold G C F 3 voice 3 row 16 bass

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2019, 06:56:55 PM »

So all will be well if you can play your tunes while tap dancing on roller skates.  Not only that, but smiling with an agreeably animated express.

You were just asking for this, weren't you.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpmDAu_47OE
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2019, 07:52:03 PM »

So all will be well if you can play your tunes while tap dancing on roller skates.  Not only that, but smiling with an agreeably animated express.

You were just asking for this, weren't you.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpmDAu_47OE

In some ways, one of life's great pleasures. In others...
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2019, 08:39:35 PM »

Without even clicking on the link, I'll bet it's "Die Twinnies", the roller skating Bavarian sisters with the wireless Steirischer boxes.  I had resisted posting that link, but it looks like the dam has broken...
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Pazza

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2019, 09:22:38 PM »

Thank you all for your comments it has been very interesting to read them, I think the best way for me to go is to learn the version of tune that I like the best and if ever I’m in a session adapt as best I can. I have played guitar and sang songs for about 50 years now so without being big headed I feel I have a pretty good idea of what chord changes to make and when to make them. I can usually strum along to any tune or song that is being played, perhaps this is why I want the bass and chords to sound right when I’m playing melodeon. Thanks.
Dino Baffetti DG

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2019, 10:37:44 PM »

Without even clicking on the link, I'll bet it's "Die Twinnies"
Yes, and they were posted here on melnet several years ago, or I'd never have heard of them.

I think the best way for me to go is to learn the version of tune that I like the best and if ever I’m in a session adapt as best I can.
Perfect!
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2019, 02:30:47 AM »

I'm skeptical about how much actual playing (or singing) is going on in that video, though.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2019, 11:09:59 AM »

I'm skeptical about how much actual playing (or singing) is going on in that video, though.

Fakes? I don't thing they are even sisters, never mind twins.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2019, 11:25:09 AM »

...I'm not entirely convinced about following guitarists, all too often they'll be doggedly
following a chord progression regardless of what the other instruments might be doing...
...and if you are sitting next to them, and they are playing loudly, you are stuffed - at least
you are if you are 'new' to sessions. Takes some getting used to, coupled with a 'cunning plan'
for choosing which seat to occupy...

I thought it was just me..
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2019, 11:30:01 AM »

Fakes? I don't thing they are even sisters, never mind twins.
Die Twinnies never claimed to be twins or nor even sisters. They are Astrid Paster and Franziska (Franzi) Pauli, just good friends. Their debut performances and recordings date from 2009 when they were 12 and 13 years old. Ten years on, they have both gone their separate musical ways.

I always enjoyed their happy performances.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Hugh Taylor

• Respected Sage
    • Band web site: http://www.tumblingtom.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2019, 06:15:55 PM »

Ah yes, multiple box players in a session, all playing the same melody but different basses - heavenly, not! (Its a common put down of box players, especially those playing English music.) Its no different to multiple guitarists in a session using different chords, or percussion players playing different rhythms.
I think it all depends on the session and the players in it. In the Lamplighter Irish session that I used to go to in Windermere, the guitarists and bodhran players often used to take in turn. When I start a tune, I'll use my basses, and hope that other players show 'some respect' to that. If I'm playing a rehearsed tune with other melody players, I'll often just play the melody with no bass the first time thru the tune to ensure that we're all playing together.
If I'm joining in with a tune that someone else has started, I'll usually not play my bass end. That avoids me muddying the session, and also stops the player on my left getting a constant earful of my bass! It also helps my right hand to play more freely and stops it becoming 'four square'.
We all have different approaches I suppose, and its a question of deciding what you think is best for you.
Castagnari Mory D/G, Castagnari Tommy D/G, Saltarelle C/F, Hohner Erika A/D
Tumbling Tom Band

Stockaryd

• Regular debater
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2019, 07:06:00 PM »

Roller skates?    Hmmm. . . .

This is a friend of mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vzYq0ywaLM
Hohner Corso, Hohner Erica, Emmanuel Pariselle, Gessner,   Koch,   Mariotti,    "China  NoName",   4 Toy,     -and now some more

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2019, 07:24:25 PM »

;D ;D ;D
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal