Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: loose buttons  (Read 1680 times)

ACE

loose buttons
« on: April 13, 2019, 01:37:34 PM »

My buttons on the serenellini keep unwinding. Any tips to prevent this would be gratefully received. Metal screw into plastic post. I do not want to pack them as it might split the post, and glueing might cause problems later on if a repair is needed. I was toying with the idea of pva tape around the threads to perhaps just give them a bit of pinch without packing it too much. What do you think.
Saltarelle Horizon, Dino mini, Lachenal g/d anglo

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
Re: loose buttons
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 01:59:14 PM »

I would be tempted to put a dab of shellac polish on the thread and the top of the post, screw the button back on then leave it to dry for a while. It may or may not work but it won't do any harm.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 02:13:19 PM »

A drop of superglue on the threads, screw in immediately.  It doesn’t prevent the button being removed later if required, but will prevent them coming loose.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

ACE

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 02:42:32 PM »

superglue it is then, not my first thought but I suppose it sets as another thread. Thankyou everybody.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 05:05:44 PM »

My buttons on the serenellini keep unwinding. Any tips to prevent this would be gratefully received. Metal screw into plastic post. I do not want to pack them as it might split the post, and glueing might cause problems later on if a repair is needed. I was toying with the idea of pva tape around the threads to perhaps just give them a bit of pinch without packing it too much. What do you think.

PTFE tape (the white tape used by plumbers) might give a good result. Being thin you can tailor it to what's needed.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

ACE

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 06:09:34 PM »

PTFE tape (the white tape used by plumbers) might give a good result. Being thin you can tailor it to what's needed.
That is what I was thinking of. Got the name wrong

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 06:48:13 PM »

I've used this where I need a bit of benign traction in threaded connections, most notably when mounting drivers to horns in PA speakers.  Works a treat.
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

diatonix

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 08:16:10 PM »

I would advise against the use of super glue. Much better, at least in my opinion: Loctite thread locking fluid, medium strength. Easy to use, safe and very efficient.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 09:18:42 AM by diatonix »

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 08:44:57 PM »

super glue is water soluble when it comes to removing. damp warm cloth.
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 12:32:50 AM »

super glue is water soluble when it comes to removing. damp warm cloth.

I  think this depends on the formulation of the cyanoacrylate.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 06:36:01 AM »

I also would recommend Locktite. There are several variations of it though. It’s worth reading the instructions.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

ACE

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2019, 11:31:49 AM »

A try with the superglue was not good, it must have gone off too quickly for me and my sausage fingers trying to screw it in quick. I felt the post starting to twist so stopped and with the aid of my grandsons toy plastic pliers I got it out without damage. The PTFE tape seemed to let me tighten it nicely so a time test of playing for a while should answer my question if it will work.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2019, 12:05:28 PM »

A drop of superglue on the threads, screw in immediately.  It doesn’t prevent the button being removed later if required, but will prevent them coming loose.

Works a treat on my Lilly buttons. The buttons can still be removed if I want them to come off but the one or two recalcitrant ones no longer ping off at inopportune moments.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Psuggmog Volbenz

• Respected Sage
    • musical whimsy
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 09:23:32 AM »

I would suggest applying a drop of "superglue" to the female threads in the wood where the button attaches, let the glue cure without installing the button. This will harden the threads in the wood. After the glue has cured, then attach the button and see if it remains tight. If not, remove the button, then apply a drop of paint to the screw and attach while the paint is wet. Allow the paint to dry before stressing the button.  I use supperglue in this fashion to strengthen holes in wood where keyboard screws attach and also where the endplates attach to bellows frames on old accordions that don't use bellows pins. This method also works well for strengthening the mounting holes for peghead tuning machines on stringed instruments.
I'm squeezin' and they're wheezin': old junker boxes
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal