Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Erica D/G  (Read 3824 times)

Anne Croucher

• Regular debater
Re: Erica D/G
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2019, 09:32:44 PM »

Things had become a bit silly with the number of things I was going to to play the half done melodeon, but as the spring progresses things are closing down - so a bit more time to sort things out.
I have just fitted a piece of washleather inside the bass end strap as it was a little bit loose and rather slippery. It is slightly wider than the leather strap and just tucks under it at each end. I did not put any of the PVA glue on the ends in case I found it too tight and needed to cut off a small amount.
The difference to being able to support the left hand end is quite astonishing - having small hands (6 and 3/4 inches from wrist ring to tip of middle finger and 7 inches around the knuckles) I was struggling to keep my hand south of the air button, but now my hand stays central and I can play a lot faster.
Barcarole D/G
Hohner Ericas D/G and C/F
Hohner el Rey del Vallenato A/D/G aka 'Elvis'
Hohner Liliput Bb/Eb club layout
Meinel & Herold G C F 3 voice 3 row 16 bass

Peadar

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2019, 10:33:11 PM »

Do I understand correctly that lining the bellows strap with wash leather gives a bit more friction between the back of your hand and the bellows strap?

I have been struggling to get the bass strap tight enough to control the bellows without it being so tight I can't work the bass buttons/spoons (on different boxes obviously).
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Anne Croucher

• Regular debater
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2019, 12:27:09 AM »

There is no adjustment of the strap length on the Erica, and the inner surface was absolutely smooth so it was difficult to keep my hand centred , fingers over the buttons air lever accessible to the thumb.
If this lining had not worked I was thinking of creating a loop to put my hand through - but it feels a lot better than it was.

To shorten the strap I made the washleather lining long enough to go around the casing which effectively shortens the strap without needing to undo the screws and make new holes. The washleather is not very thick, but adding that layer makes a considerable difference in the space beneath it.
I chose the most clinging side of the washleather, by running it over the back of my hand, and cut it just slightly wider than the original strap so as to cover the edges which were not very comfortable, then glued it in place - leaving the ends free so I could snip off a bit if the shortening effect was too great - I did a similar trick with the Barcarole D/G and had to work hard to remove about 1/4 inch as it was too snug a fit.
So far, after a tentative try out it seems I got this one close to right first go.
My hand stays in the right place now without me trying to make a fist all the time to stop it slipping.
Barcarole D/G

Peadar

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2019, 10:54:14 PM »

Thanks for that Anne.
I will give it a try.
None of my melodeons have any sort of strap adjustment apart from to unscrew and make new holes. I have found that making new holes 3mm further along the strap makes a big difference. If I have to make a new hole in leather I find a gimlet (or failing that a nail) is very effective. I put a drilling block - an offcut of  a plank or a 2" x 4" timber under the strap that I need to hole and usually drill a 3mm hole into the wood. I mark the leather where the hole is needed and put the mark over the hole in the wood  before pushing the gimlet (or driving the nail) through the leather.
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2019, 12:31:34 AM »

There is no adjustment of the strap length on the Erica

Would it be  straightforward to fit one of Charlie's adjustable straps?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Anne Croucher

• Regular debater
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2019, 02:11:40 AM »

I'm not familiar with that strap.

It would be possible to construct an adjustable strap, using Velcro or a buckle - but it would be an extra thing to catch or need to be tucked into the box.
Barcarole D/G

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2019, 07:10:40 AM »

Charlie sells several variants of velcro strap, I have a couple, and they work well. Here is one example. .
Fitting is easy, four holes and fit using the original plates & screws, or Charlie also sells posh end covers. They are of course rather more bulky.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2019, 07:16:24 AM »

They are of course rather more bulky.

This probably the main problem as the box will no longer sit on its feet on the bass end unless you replace the feet with longer ones.

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2019, 07:41:55 AM »

I think you'd need stilts for some of those straps...

I imagine they're quite comfortable though!

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2019, 08:16:40 AM »

I haven’t tried it, but I think a rather stiff velvet lining to the strap might improve the friction on the back of the left hand.  Costalottis have padded velvet linings to their straps which seems to assist hand stability on the left end.

Ah!  I’ve just looked.  Not velvet, corduroy.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 01:19:47 PM by Chris Rayner »
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Anne Croucher

• Regular debater
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2019, 04:29:31 PM »

At morris practice yesterday I was able to play basses throughout the last tune, having built up to it over the evening - and really give it some welly - it was 'Rattling Bog' for Dual of Honour - and today my right hand is not aching from the effort - it is surprising how much difference a small improvement can make. The washleather keeps my hand centred and my thumb can find the air button every time it is needed.

I bought the Hohner Liliput and its friend and have replaced the broken part of the hand strap on the Liliput - it has a buckle adjustment and the top part was broken. That required the thinnest leather I could find in my box of strapping, and more leather snapped as people were looking at it - but it can all be fixed or replaced - my daughter (Gena Crisman) had a look at it and then played Origin of the World - she is quite amazing.

Barcarole D/G
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal