Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bluebell Polka revisited  (Read 1312 times)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Bluebell Polka revisited
« on: April 14, 2019, 11:30:12 AM »

Morning all!
I want to find a definitive version of the Bluebell Polka.
I've gone back to this thread of some years back …   http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,9947.0.html
and looked at Anahata's version on Youtube with the C part in the key of C.
Also re-reading the thread, Theo also mentions G#'s in the B part, which looking at Anahata's version he also puts in.

Has anyone got an abc version reflecting this?
After mangling it for years I'd quite like to know what the 'proper' version is.
I realise the 'proper' version is not what you might encounter in a session, but nonetheless, I'd like to learn it, hence this search.
thanks all
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Bluebell Polka revisited
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 11:41:41 AM »

It has to be Jimmy Shand for the definitive Bluebell Polka
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 11:44:47 AM by Theo »
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 12:23:18 PM »

This is what I have saved in my personal tunebook, maybe it helps:

Code: [Select]
X:6
T:Bluebell Polka
R:Polka
C:Trad.
O:Scotland
Z:Paul Hardy's Session Tunebook 2017 (see www.paulhardy.net). Creative Commons cc by-nc-sa licenced.
M:2/2
L:1/8
Q:1/2=70
K:G
(3Bdg|:"G"b2b2 "C"gfge|"G"d2d2 B2G2|"D7"FGAB c2e2|"G"ed^cd B2 (3Bdg|
"G"b2b2 "C"gfge|"G"d2d2 B2G2|"D7"FGAB cdef|"G"g2g2 g2z2:|
[K:D]|:"D"A2A2 FAdf|a2a2 f3f|"A7"a2^ga =g2e2|"D"b2a2 ^g2a2|
"D"A2A2 FAdf|a2a2 f3f|"A7"a2^g2 =g2e2|"D"d2f2d2z2:|
[K:G]|:"G"b2b2 "C"gfge|"G"d2d2 B2G2|"D7"FGAB c2e2|"G"ed^cd B2 (3Bdg|
"G"b2b2 "C"gfge|"G"d2d2 B2G2|"D7"FGAB cdef|"G"g2g2 g2z2!fine!:|
[K:C]|:"C"e2e2 efg2|e2e2 efg2|"G7"f2f2 fdB2|fefg fdB2|
"C"e2e2 efg2|e2e2 efg2|"G7"f2f2 fdBd|"C"c2c2c2"^D.C."z2:|
[K:G]|:"G"b2b2 "C"gfge|"G"d2d2 B2G2|"D7"FGAB c2e2|"G"ed^cd B2 (3Bdg|
"G"b2b2 "C"gfge|"G"d2d2 B2G2|"D7"FGAB cdef|"G"g2g2 g2z2!fine!:|

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 12:32:18 PM »

I do have ABC reflecting very specifically that, if that is in fact what you are looking for, but there is some viewer interpretation necessary. For example, Anahata rations his bar with a G# to once per repeat, and probably plays slightly different right hand side chords than I have written here, but, I mean this is what I'm playing at the moment when occasion befits and I like it. Also, if you have a high G# accidental, then, obviously you'll probably want to just use that instead of the shenanigans being performed to get around the lack of it here. Basically, the 'complexity' in the B melody is flipped in this version - what were the simple sections have ornaments and chords added, and the sections with the high G# in the run are simplified (hopefully) to the point where they don't feel that they lack it. Refer to Fred's ABC in that case, as that looks like the right kind of thing.

Perhaps unfortunately or not, the tune below has taken on a few steps past being a true transcription and has a bit more of me figuring out how I'd need to play it. It's arranged for the direction of accidentals I use, which is with a pull F. That makes the G7 chord that the C part is built around little bit harder to deal with, so, I use a pull D bass under the F note, and then either no chord for a beat, or corrupt the tune down to a push D note instead of a pull F note to fit the G chord in (again, a rationed choice). If you use a push F accidental, you can just play a G chord through those bars, but, play with the fundamental.

Also I guess you're only supposed to play one pass through A between B and C. Definitely refer to the video Theo Linked or any other.

Code: [Select]
X:1
T:The Bluebell Polka
T:Arranged for DG, Originally transcribed from Anahata
P:ABACA
S:Jimmy Shand
S:Anahata's performance video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyHB6n9Nwv4
M:4/4
Q:150
L:1/8
R:Hornpipe
K:G
P:A
(3Bdg |:"G"b2b2 "C"gfge|"b"d2"G"d2 "G"B2G2|"D"FGAB c2e2|"G"ed^cd "D"B2(3Bdg|
"G"b2b2 "C"gfge|"b"d2"G"d2 "G"B2G2|"D"FGAB cdef|[1"G"g2g2 "G"g2 "d"(3Bdg:|[2"G"g2g2 g2
P:B
K:D
B2    |:"D"A2 (3ABA FAdf|"D"[A2a2] [A2a2] [d4f4]|"D"[A3a3] [Aa]"A"[B2g2] [c2e2]|"D"[B2b2] [A2a2] "A"^G2 A2 |
"D"A2 (3ABA FAdf|"D"[A2a2] [A2a2] [d4f4]|"D"[A3a3] [Aa]"A"[B2g2] [c2e2]|1"D"d2[A2f2] [F3d3]B:|2"D"d2[A2f2] [F2d2]
P:C
K:C
"^(for Castagnari accidentals w/ pull F)"=f2   |:"C"[c2e2][c2e2] efg2|"C"[c2e2][c2e2] efg2|"d"f2 "x"fg "d"fd"G"B2|"d"fe "G"[df]g "d"fd"G"B2|
"C"[c2e2][c2e2] efg2|"C"[c2e2][c2e2] efg2|"d"fe "G"[df]g "d"fd"G"Bd|1"C"c2e2 c2d2:|2"C"c2e2 c2

I believe also Daddy Long Les' revisited the Bluebell polka again, but for a 2 row 8 bass - his performance video here is perhaps more visibly accessible for the the trained melodeon professional, and for those less confident in the art, I believe he has a lesson video and score for sale on his website. He also has some videos of playing it on an ADG 3 row from earlier in his playing career, which naturally has the high G#.

Best of luck.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 12:47:08 PM »

Thanks Theo and Fred.
Listening to Jimmy and looking at Fred's abc in abcexplorer, I think that's what Jimmy is playing. Need to take a slower look at the G# in the B's but.... I think that is it.

Ah.... Gena's arrived, will take a look at her transcription.
OK, I take the point that I hadn't twigged with Fred's version. I haven't a high G# so it looks like Anahata's playing it down an octave. He is past master at pinging between octaves so a phrase will fit on his box.
That's what I need.
Thanks Gena.
cheers
Q

Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 04:42:08 PM »

My version was definitely based on a Jimmy Shand recording on YouTube.
Yes, most of us don't have that high G# and I fudged it in different ways.
Can't help with ABC and currently on mobile so can't speak for Gena's but I expect it to be accurate.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 05:03:19 PM »

Thanks Anahata. Yes, Gena's is an accurate version of your recording from what I can see. I'll use it to sort out my playing as over the years I've got into bad habits playing it.
I understand the octave jump to use the lower G#. It made me smile when I saw the abc, we have both discussed tunes in the last and I recognise it as one of your trademark tweaks!
I'll start on it soon as I've got a minute.
Cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

george garside

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 07:27:03 PM »

The G# in the B part  and the C nat in the C part can both be played using the thumb which moves sideways much better than do fingers.  However most people will not notice if you play G nat instead of G sharp.

Or to make it much simpler buy a hohner trichord.  ( The bluebell polka was the first tune I learned to play on
a BCC#  60 or so years ago)

george >:E ;)
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 08:12:34 PM »

Thanks George, don't think I'll invest in such a large beast, I might fall over on my nose with the weight!
I'm not keen on using my thumb as I find I loose the reference point the thumb provides on the fingerboard edge plus more importantly for me I loose stability of my box. I've got reasonably flexible fingers so I can cope, but thanks for the thoughts on alternative ways. We're all different so it helps to know the alternatives available.
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

george garside

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 08:43:54 PM »

the trichord is not large its the same size as the hohner corona ADG.  The 'large beasts' with 80 to 120 bass don't require  that much effort is played seated as the much larger volume of air in the bellows means that much less bellows movement is required than on a small box.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 08:56:35 PM »

Oh ok..... I think though I'll stick with my diminutive
2 row 8  bass, being but a little person in the land of giants  ;)
Cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal