Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wanted: Hohner Reed Set  (Read 698 times)

Pat McInnis

• Regular debater
Wanted: Hohner Reed Set
« on: April 14, 2019, 05:38:03 PM »

I'm starting a new Pokerwork project that will be more like my "traveller" since I'm a bit weary of taking my grandfather's box out of the house. So I'm looking for (possibly affordable?  ::)) C#D complete reed set. Since this seems to be somewhat of a rarity I would also consider an AD set like I used on my last project and I can figure out my C# row. Loose, on blocks or even a complete box if the price is right.

Keep in mind that I'm in Canada since some members seem to only keep their parts sales local.

Thanks in advance.

Pat

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
Re: Wanted: Hohner Reed Set
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 12:34:57 AM »

Although I can carry on messing with melodeons, the ongoing attention of the Ministry of Truth and the Thought Police will (no doubt) eventually teach me to really love Big Brother!

Pat McInnis

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 01:56:16 AM »

Eshed

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 04:49:40 AM »

It seems like Harmonikas which should be ok (search the forums for mentions).
I wonder if it won't be cheaper to get them directly from the maker.
I'm slowly improving.
If I've posted a video and you have advice that could help me improve faster, don't keep it to yourself! That's what replies and PMs are for :)

Mike-T

• Good talker
  • 1930s Hohner B C C#, D/GAcc Benny, 2.5 Beltuna
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 10:26:04 AM »

I've bought sets of reeds from Frattons in the past and apart from minor reed block modification, had no problem at all with them, they all went into either Erica's or pokerworks and sounded and played well with very little tuning needed.

Mike.

Fred

• Respected Sage
  • Loffet Graet e Breizh D/G and various Hohners
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 11:52:38 AM »

Fraton accordions is a reputable craftsman from northeastern Germany. I've not bought anything from him but only had email contact. Very nice person and knows what he's doing. I don't expect him to sell anything of bad quality.

https://fraton-accordions.com/EN/

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Never too old to learn
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 01:27:07 PM »

Yes he took a stall at the craft fair at Whitby one year, but never returned, sadly.

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : Hohner Club II (De-clubbed) D/G : Hagstrom G/C: Hohner Corona IIIR G/C/F :Preciosa Bb/Eb. Hohner 384 1930's Varnished wood G/C: Hohner B/E: Hohner Erika C/F: Hohner Pre Corso C/F : Bb/Eb Liliput, in restoration.

folkloristmark

• Regular debater
    • street entertainers
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 09:25:41 PM »

Buying straight from Harmonikas is not that easy, I dont know for sure but unless buying bulk I dont thing a saving, if at all is to be had. Nothing wrong with the reeds I have a nice Hohner 3 voice with them that came from Fratton he did the work and tuning.Would be interested if others found it easier they were very helpful up to point of sale.
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

Pat McInnis

• Regular debater
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 11:51:01 PM »

Alright, I've been in contact with both. Fratton's has been very quick to respond to all of my annoying questions with excellent customer service but the price is definitely better from Harmonicas and for a slightly better grade reed. Not that this really matters too much for my skill level or quality of my old Hohner but it can't hurt. Unfortunately shipping is fairly insane at 60E.

I'll hopefully be able to make a decision by the weekend and get the ball rolling.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 08:29:01 AM »

Better quality reeds is something that you should consider.  Your skill will improve over time,  the reeds will remain the same. Better to have something that you can grow into, rather than something you will grow out of. I have played a Hohner with basic Harmonikas reeds and they are noticeably slower to respond than Hohner reeds.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Pat McInnis

• Regular debater
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 04:46:56 PM »

Better quality reeds is something that you should consider.  Your skill will improve over time,  the reeds will remain the same. Better to have something that you can grow into, rather than something you will grow out of. I have played a Hohner with basic Harmonikas reeds and they are noticeably slower to respond than Hohner reeds.

I was thinking the same thing Theo. Plus, as boxes will inevitably come and go in my life; this one is a keeper since it has a family connection. I think I'll go with the Tipo a mano reeds. In your experience do these reeds need a lot of final tuning? I know that the Hohner blocks will need a bit of clearancing for the taller reed plates.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 05:08:59 PM »

All reeds need tuning after fitting.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.