Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Accidentals to low notes  (Read 1197 times)

James Tobin

Accidentals to low notes
« on: April 15, 2019, 02:16:55 PM »

Hi, I’m looking at buying a second hand Castagnari D/G Lilly which I think as it’s standard comes with accidentals, my current melodeon has low notes on the chin end buttons, is it easy to convert from the accidentals to my current low notes? I wouldn’t do the work myself but I just wondered if it was complicated/expensive. Currently my buttons are B/D, D/F#,F#/A,A/C# thanks for any input

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Accidentals to low notes
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 02:36:21 PM »

It's not a particularly difficult job, but you would need to source the accidentals reeds. Since the Lilly is a single voice box, you only need two reed plates, one for the G-row (D#/F natural), and one for the D-row (Bb/G#). Ideally they need to be Voci Armoniche reeds as used by Castagnari although it unlikely that Castganari would supply such a small order, but it's possible Pete Ward (Acorn Instruments, and on this forum) might be able to help. Alternatively you may find that someone on this forum has a couple of reed plates.

The accidental reed plates will be shorter than the low notes reed plates, so you will probably need to add a small piece of wood to the end of the reed chamber in order to shorten it.

Assuming you can source the accidentals reed plates, you then have two options:
(i) a straightforward replacement of the low notes with the accidentals, retaining the instrument as a 3rd-button start.
or
(ii) shifting all the reeds up one position and retaining the low notes to sound on button 2 and the accidentals on button 1. This will give you a 4th-button start box which could be useful for a D/G Lilly, but it will mean more work as all the reeds will need to be shifted and possibly some modification of the reed chamber lengths overall.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

James Tobin

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 02:42:56 PM »

Brilliant thanks Steve!

george garside

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 02:48:13 PM »

I had my dg lilly converted ( via the now defunct music room) to 4th button start retianing the standard accidentals .  The extra low notes followed the 'BC format' so notes repeated every 4 bittons on push and 5 on pull wjich I find more useful than the more usual random low notes.  This works well for me and avoids nasty accidents as I play both DG and BC

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 02:56:04 PM »

Funnily enough, I'm just at a similar juncture with the conversion of one of my Bb/Eb Liliputs to D/G. The retuning hasn't been too arduous, so far, until I realised that when I got to the two highest reeds I didn't have any to do the job! But......after checking the two old lowest reedplates and reeds (which I thought I'd not be using) I find that I can use them to add low accidentals, so that I'll end up with 4th button start, low notes and accidentals in three octaves! In fact, it's going to be almost the same as one of the Salterelle layouts on here.

What was that about clouds and silver linings?

At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 03:24:09 PM »

I think James wants to low notes in place of accidentals. So the reeds are likely to be bigger, and might need reed block surgery.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 03:31:39 PM »

I think James wants to low notes in place of accidentals. So the reeds are likely to be bigger, and might need reed block surgery.

Nope, will just require the fillers to be removed which, if memory serves, are just waxed in place

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 04:07:33 PM »

Any competent repairer can do this for you, including supplying the reeds. It’s just a matter of replacing  and tuning two reed plates. Just make sure that whoever does the job uses the same quality of reeds as the rest of the box.  The originals are tipo a mano made by Voci Armoniche, or by Antonelli if it’s an older box.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 04:34:24 PM »

Yes, you're right. I misunderstood his original post. (I've been off-grid for too long...)
But as Lester has said, it should just be a case of removing the filler blocks from the reed chambers.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal