Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crack/gap between reed plate and wax  (Read 451 times)

Johnny S

Crack/gap between reed plate and wax
« on: August 27, 2020, 06:58:57 PM »

If there is a slight gap between the reed plate and the securing wax, but the plate feels secure and the reed sounds well, would you leave well alone or try and reset the wax along that plate edge?

Tiposx

• Durham in England
  • Respected Sage
Re: Crack/gap between reed plate and wax
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 07:34:56 PM »

If the wax looked good (not dry or dark) I would run my soldering iron-based waxing tool along it lightly. If that didn’t work then I would  re-wax whilst being ready for the whole lot needing a re-wax.

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 09:18:49 PM »

Exactly that, do a repair o stop the leak from getting worse.  No box is truly airtight but few have any major problems, just an accumulation of minor ones.  Be aware though that the problem may flare up as the  wax ages further, so keep an eye out for any breathiness or noticeable loss of air.   Actually if you're methodical re-waxing isn't too big a deal. - it's when you decide to re-valve, reset and retune as well it gets complicated.

Rob.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 09:30:14 PM »

On the other hand when you get to the point of needing a full re-wax it’s false economy to not replace all the valves while you have the opportunity. In the past I’ve  done a small number of re-waxing jobs without replacing valves, and I’ve always regretted it later.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal