Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adapting G/C French and Breton tunes to Irish tuned boxes  (Read 670 times)

RickC.

• Regular debater
Adapting G/C French and Breton tunes to Irish tuned boxes
« on: April 20, 2019, 12:25:36 AM »

Hello, I've not posted in a while- job change, cross-country move, all that.

After deciding a year ago that the G/C system was just not going to work for me no matter how much time I put into it, I also knew I wanted to learn more Breton tunes to add to my usual repertoire of Irish tunes- and wanted to learn them from players there, rather than from other Irish (or Irish style players) of those tunes.  The melodies themselves could be easily adapted in most cases, but not those basses-- which is a large part of the appeal for me. 

So I've been trying to work some of those out- sometimes with success, sometimes with.... well, smoking failure.

Since there has not been a fest noz in Alabama since at least Reconstruction, learning from recordings is a fact of life.  It's just as well since there are no tabs for playing those tunes on a semi-tone box, and I never could make my peace with tabs anyway.

Here's a tune I worked out a couple of weeks ago (having been on the list for a while, and I never had time to get to it), played on a C#/D Lilly I just received from Theo last week.  I'm still getting used to the mechanics, button spacing, and "breathing" of the Lilly but it's a cool little box.  Playing long chords on those small bellows is a bit precarious if you're not used to them!

I've no idea of the name of this tune- any help there would be appreciated.  It's not the most technical tune in the world, I just like it:

https://youtu.be/ZOHwB68jcGA
Hohner Trichord II, Mengascini B/C, Castagnari Lilly C#/D, Castagnari Studio A/D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal