Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: a clubbed Bb/Eb  (Read 690 times)

Anne Croucher

• Regular debater
a clubbed Bb/Eb
« on: April 20, 2019, 04:27:36 PM »

So a Hohner liliput Bb/Eb followed me home.
The outer row I can play - but the inner row with the hashed button was a puzzle.
I was reduced to trying to play a scale.
This is probably blindingly obvious to anyone with musical talent.
It is 3rd button start - one two three four five - five again -
OK - where is the sixth note.

Some time later.
The 3rd button down on the short row, push - the sixth note - it is a C (wow)
But - on the same horizontal alignment on the outer row there is the same note on the pull. The 7th button.

The seventh note is the button above and between that horizontal pairing, and is the start of the reversal, a pull D - but there is a push D on the outer row, with the pull C.

There's a push and pull pairing 1st and 2nd button of each row too - F on the outer row Bb on the inner, and the 2nd and 3rd of the short row have C#.

It is surprizing what you can find out with an old guitar tuner in the wee small hours of the morning. 
Now all I need to do is some gentle restoration and learn to play with all the possibilities on offer.
Barcarole D/G
Hohner Ericas D/G and C/F
Hohner el Rey del Vallenato A/D/G aka 'Elvis'
Hohner Liliput Bb/Eb club layout
Meinel & Herold G C F 3 voice 3 row 16 bass

Steve_freereeder

• Grumpy old git (sometimes)
  • Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: a clubbed Bb/Eb
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 04:43:28 PM »

There are Club layouts for Bb/Eb boxes which should be helpful here:
http://forum.melodeon.net/files/site/BbEbclub25.gif
http://forum.melodeon.net/files/site/BbEbclub30.gif

The Club system with its 'Gleichton' - the one which plays the same note in both bellows directions - is very well thought out and enables much versatility in playing across the rows and using the extra 'helper' row. If you can possibly manage it, it's worth spending some time getting familiar with the system and not immediately opting to have it de-clubbed.

If you really must have a de-clubbed box, it might be better leaving this one untouched and looking out for one which has already been altered.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 04:47:59 PM »

Um - yes - Liliputs* are club boxes. So the note with the hashed button is the same pull and push. The supporters of the club system have extolled its virtues many times on the forum. To find the missing note you need to head south to the other row and borrow it from there... :||:

Or just, as many have (despite Steve's post which crossed mine) de-club it so it plays "normally".

*apart from my other Bb/Eb Liliput which calls itself a Piccolo and didn't have a gleichton.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Anne Croucher

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 05:07:46 PM »

I was just really wondering which of the buttons had the missing reed - I think it is the 4th button in the outer row - which would be D and Eb - so I could see if it is possible to find a replacement.
I was not thinking of doing alterations to the arrangement of the notes - the subtext to the learning melodeon, for me, was to keep the little grey cells active, and having sorted out where the sixth note was hiding, and gone to bed in the clear light of a beautiful dawn I can now play tunes on it. Admittedly they sound strange and exotic, but the fingers are finding the patterns and possibilities.
I have just past my 68th birthday and have found a use for the chord of Ab major - wooow - it will be minor sevenths before long - if I'm not careful.
Barcarole D/G

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 05:16:46 PM »

Anne...

I have a ClubIIB and a de-clubbed Preciosa. They both have their merits on particular tunes/genres but I have no trouble at all going from one to the other regarding the gleichton.  Of course, it may help my memory of the system that the Club box is 4x the size of the Preciosa....
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

Geolocation: directly above the center of the Earth.

Anne Croucher

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 01:58:00 AM »

A second evening of playing the Liliput and I am getting the hang of the gleichton button - as in which tunes are affected by it and which are not - and then on choosing the C on the outer or innermost row. I must make more time for fixing up melodeons - I need to complete the work on the Erica D/G so I can start on the Liliput.
Trust the dishwasher to go wrong just at this moment - its almost as thought things conspire. 
Barcarole D/G

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 08:41:04 AM »

I have an unmolested Club C/F and tend to play different things on it and my non-Club D/G, which cuts out most of the confusion between the two systems.

An obvious Club advantage is that you can play a Bb7 chord (on Bb/Eb box, C7 on C/F, on inner row) that's not accessible on a declubbed box.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh bands: www.fourhandband.co.uk www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Anne Croucher

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 04:23:58 AM »

Now that the novelty is wearing off and I have worked out a few tunes, I am finding my fingers are hitting the right buttons more often. I am also playing more of the keyboard, trying tunes on the higher notes.
I am not enough of a musician to understand the reasons for a clubbed or nonclubbed keyboard being an advantage or not - I am noticing the missing reed more and more - I really must try to find a replacement for it - once I am sure which notes it should be.
Barcarole D/G
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal