Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dodgy MIDI playback from within EasyABC...  (Read 1676 times)

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
Dodgy MIDI playback from within EasyABC...
« on: April 21, 2019, 05:17:03 PM »

Warning - this is nowt to do with free-reedery...

Consider the following ABC code:

%%barnumbers
X:18
T:Miſs Dundas's Gigg.
%A Select Collection of English Irish and Foreign Airs Jiggs & marches, Vol. 1., N. Stewart (publisher), Edinburgh, c. 1784.
%National Library of Scotland music collections - archive.org/details/selectcollection00rugg
M:6/8
L:1/8
Q:3/8=80
K:D
|: (f/g/) | afd (!trill!dcd) | e2 (e e)fg | aba agf | !trill!e2 (d d)gb | afd (!trill!dcd) | e2 (e e)fg |
afd (!trill!e>de) | (d3 d2) :|

Bar 7: afd (!trill!e>de)

does not sound 'right' when played back through the MIDI player in EasyABC - the highlighted
d and e seem to get mangled in some way - I can't quite hear exactly what is happening, even
slowing the whole thing down. It's something to do with the !trill! and/or the > (is that called
a 'snap'?). If I remove one or the other it sounds 'OK'. I'm actually not sure if this is a purely
subjective thing, to do with my tin ear...

Any comments/thoughts, or am I imagining this problem?

If it's real, is there any way round it?

Thank you.

Roger
[I posted this on ABC-Notation, but as traffic there is so low, I posted here as well...]
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 05:24:38 PM by Roger Hare »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: Dodgy MIDI playback from within EasyABC...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 05:41:12 PM »

It's something to do with the !trill! and/or the > (is that called
a 'snap'?). If I remove one or the other it sounds 'OK'. I'm actually not sure if this is a purely
subjective thing, to do with my tin ear...

A snap is the other way round (<) I would call this swing. Others might say different. :D

Have you tried writing out the swing, rather than using the abbreviation, i.e., !trill!e3/2d/ e ?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Roger Hare

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 05:47:18 PM »

1. A snap is the other way round (<) I would call this swing. Others might say different. :D

2. Have you tried writing out the swing, rather than using the abbreviation, i.e., !trill!e3/2d/ e ?

1. Ta!

2. Job done! Worked like a dream. Thanks!

Roger
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 05:51:26 PM »

Agree with Greg that a snap is short note first, common in strathspeys. I wrote the dotted pair in manually as Greg suggested and it works fine so it's something in abc2midi that's not parsing properly, I'll report it as a glitch. To save you a bit of typing in future a capital T works the same as !trill!

X:89
T:Miss Dundas's Gigg.
%A Select Collection of English Irish and Foreign Airs Jiggs & marches, Vol. 1., N. Stewart (publisher), Edinburgh, c. 1784.
%National Library of Scotland music collections - archive.org/details/selectcollection00rugg
M:6/8
L:1/8
Q:3/8=80
K:D
|: (f/g/) | afd (Tdcd) | e2 (e e)fg | aba agf | !trill!e2 (d d)gb | afd (Tdcd) | e2 (e e)fg |
afd (Te3/d/e) | (d3 d2) :|
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Roger Hare

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 07:05:40 PM »

1. it's something in abc2midi that's not parsing properly,

2. I'll report it as a glitch.

3.To save you a bit of typing in future a capital T works the same as !trill!

1. Aye, after a few minutes thought, I decided something was not being parsed properly. Presumably the procedure
in abc2midi is trying to replace x>y with x3/2y/2 and barfing. String processing is 'difficult' and is giving me a very
particular pain at the moment as I try to write a program to automagically add tabs to a score... :(

2. Thank you.

3. I've got into the habit of using the drop-down menus in EasyABC to insert stuff like trills, fermatas, etc. Maybe it's
a habit I should try and break... (:)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 08:45:04 PM by Roger Hare »

Roger Hare

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 08:50:20 PM »

Hm! Now I look at it more closely, in (the simpler) bar 2: | e2 (e e)fg | I've also put a 'slur' joining the 2nd and 3rd notes,
when strictly it should (also)  be a 'tie', I think: | e2 e- efg | - but (in the context of this tune, and of others in the same publication)
that doesn't sound right either, in fact to me, it sounds pretty poor... >:( I've been doing this all day - I deserve a beer... (:)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 03:08:45 AM by Roger Hare »

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 10:54:18 PM »

3. I've got into the habit of using the drop-down menus in EasyABC to insert stuff like trills, fermatas, etc. Maybe it's
a habit I should try and break... (:)

That's up to you but if it works and you're happy then all is good. I've stuck with ABC Explorer as my weapon of choice for general editing, each to their own I guess and it would seem that Easy ABC on a Mac is a thing of wonder, unlike the Windows version which I mostly don't get on with at all but it does have some very useful features.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Roger Hare

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 07:07:41 AM »

That's up to you but if it works and you're happy then all is good. etc...
Fair comment. I checked the same code with Explorer (which I could never get to work on W7, for some bizarre reason), and
it behaved in the same way, as might be expected if it's using abc2midi 'under the bonnet'. The pull-down menus in
EasyABC ain't perfect - they don't include all decorations, ornamentations and directives, for instance, but they are
useful. I might try the same code on TradMusician on Android - that sometimes gets its knickers in a twist if presented
with slightly dodgy ties or slurs.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 07:39:38 AM by Roger Hare »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal