Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Veleta  (Read 2061 times)

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
The Veleta
« on: September 09, 2009, 12:00:34 AM »

Does anybody have the abc for "The Veleta" please? I have lovely set of dots which my wife's uncle gave me about 20 years ago, but unfortunately I am not the expert PA player that he was - as is evident from his copy for me! I can fake it on the fiddle, but not on the melodeon.  :'(
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

LJC

Re: The Veleta
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 07:53:43 AM »

This is the one I know:

X: 64
T: Waltz for the Valeta
S: Percy Brown
M: 3/4
L: 1/4
K:G %Transposed from C
G B d | d2 e | e3 | d3 | G B d | d2 e | e3 | d3 |
g d g | f3 | e c e | d3 |1 G2 B | A2 G | d e d | c B A :|2 c B e | B2 A | GB d | g3 ||
|: g/g/ g g | f/f/ f f | e/e/ e e | d3 | c/c/ c c | B/B/ B B | A a g | f e d |
g/g/ g g | f/f/ f f | e/e/ e e | d3 | c B e | B2 A | G B d | g3 :|

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 07:57:08 PM »

Thanks LJC. This is a very good tune for the Veleta (am I spelling it wrongly though, which might explain why I can't find what I'm looking for?) which I enjoy hearing immensely (ie ,I'm not good enough to play it yet), but the one I am looking for is the more commonly used one in the "Olde Tyme Dance" world, under the name of the dance itself.

Thanks very much though for the work you put in! (Angel emote here please, LDT!)
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 04:20:32 PM »

I think I know the tune that you're after - our (brass) band used to play it regularly when I was younger.  If  no-one comes up with anything better, I'll see if the music is still in the cupboard and have a look at how easily it can be arranged for the box.
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

HallelujahAl

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 05:14:31 PM »

Chris if you go here and scroll down you'll come across the one I think you're aftyer. I do have the dots somewhere.
AL

graememackay

• Graeme Mackay
  • B/C/C# Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze
    • Graeme's homepage
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 06:06:26 PM »

It's a tune I often play but have never seen the dots.  Good luck with ABC
Black Shand Morino

Tony Gibbons

• Good talker
  • Play D/G, C/C#, B/C/C#, run Barn-dance band
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »

And here is the ABC for the very tune HallelujahAl has given the link to. I have this as "The Valeta" and as you probably already know it is a set tune for the dance of the same name:
X: 1
T: The Valeta
M: 3/4
L: 1/4
K: D
A2 d | e2 d | d2 c | a3 | A2 e | f2 e | e2 d | a3 | a2 f | ^d2 B | e2 g | b3 | b2 a | f2 d | a/a/ a a | d3 ||
^G/A/ A A | ^G/A/ A A | A/d/ c B | c3 | ^A/B/ B B | ^A/B/ B B | B/d/ c B | A3 |
^G/A/ A A | ^G/A/ A A | A/d/ c B | e3 | e/d/ c B | c/B/ A A | B/A/ G E | D3 ||

That's the key for my 2+1/2 row. On PA I play it in 'C'. Not so high but keeps it a friendly key for my wife's recorder.

TG

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 10:28:58 PM »

Thanks Al and Tony - I'd just about given in and started to put together a "faking" abc edition of Uncle Walter's in G, but I think Tony's in D will be better for ::) me at any rate. Thanks again guys!  ;)
I'm a Yorkie!

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 11:38:55 AM »

Yes!!! I can play it! AND I've found out what those odd buttons at the top do!

:||: ;D :||: ;D
I'm a Yorkie!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal