Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Triple time hornpipe chord playing  (Read 1504 times)

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
Triple time hornpipe chord playing
« on: September 26, 2018, 09:16:33 AM »

I was wondering if the Red Lion Hornpipe would emerge in this discussion!...
Wondering how do others play it?
Q

McG and friend play  it as clearly as you could want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG-PUhwFzhQ

Said friend being Hugh, the O.P.

Some of this discussion should be on a non ABC thread now shouldn't it?

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
Re: Re: Triple time hornpipe chord playing
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 12:24:21 PM »

As with other parts of the forum, once the business of the thread is done with the meandering drift sets in . . .  ::)
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 01:04:01 PM »

I think this drift has ended up in a forum equivalent of the Sargasso Sea, slowly grinding to a halt!
A good discussion though...…….
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 12:18:48 PM »

just to ad a ps.....
Pete, that's a lovely 3/2 hornpipe you've added, 'Well Hall'.
I only took a look last night, copying it into abcexplorer, transposing it up 2 half tones into G, or is it Em, can't recall from memory.
I listened to it a couple of times and felt an earworm happening!
I need to re-read your comment above the notation and think about the bass/chord accompaniment, which is the basis of this thread after all.
It will get added to the 'to learn' pile.
thanks for that.
Q
just catching up......
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 06:44:58 PM »

I know that this thread was a while ago, but I guess things have a long shelf life on melodeon.net, so here goes:

I'm currently transcribing: Stewart, N. (publishers), A Select Collection of English Irish and Foreign Airs Jiggs &
marches...
, Edinburgh, c.1784., using the scanned page images at the National Library of Scotland. (I can't find
any trace of the collection having been transcribed before - I hope I'm not wasting my time...)

There are three 3/2 hornpipes there. I can find reference to only one of these on the internet (Festing - a hand-written
transcription on the Yorkshire Corps of Drums web site), and they aren't mentioned elsewhere in this thread, so for
what it's worth, here they are:

Code: [Select]
X:1
T:Polyſtons Hornpipe.
%A Select Collection of English Irish and Foreign Airs Jiggs & marches, Vol. 1., N. Stewart (publisher), Edinburgh, c.1784.
%National Library of Scotland music collections - https://archive.org/details/selectcollection00rugg
M:3/2
L:1/8
Q:3/8=120
K:D
|: f4 (egfe) d4 | f2 a2 e2 g2 {g}f2 (ed) | c2 e2 B2 d2 c2 e2 | A2 d4 f2 {f}Te2 d2 :| |: f2 a2 g2 b2 f2 a2 | e2 g2 {g}f2 (ed) c2 e2 |
B2 A2 G2 F2 (EGFE) | A2 d4 f2 {f}Te2 d2 :| |: d'2 f2 e2 d'2 {c'}c'2 ba | d'2 f2 (gf)(ed) c2 e2 | d2 A2 e2 A2 (egfe) | d2 D4 F2 TE2 D2 |
d'agf efge fgab | agfe dfed cdef | gfed cdcB (AG).F.E | D2 d4 f2 {f}Te2 d2 :|
|: (f/d/ A3) (f/d/ A3) (f/d/ A3) | {d}Tc2 e4 f2 (gfed) | (cd)(Bc) (AB)(GA) (FG)(EF) | D2 d4 {f}e2 d4 :|

T:Hornpipe by Mr. Feſting.
%A Select Collection of English Irish and Foreign Airs Jiggs & marches, Vol. 1., N. Stewart (publisher), Edinburgh, c.1784.
%National Library of Scotland music collections - https://archive.org/details/selectcollection00rugg
Q:3/8=90
|: (df)(eg) f2 d4 AF | G2 B2 (gf)(ed) (dc)(BA) | (Bg)(ed) (ca)(fe) (df)(gf) | (ec)(dB) (AF)(GE) (FA)(Bc) |
(df)(eg) f2 d4 AF | G2 B2 (gf)(ed) (dc)(BA) | (Bg)(ed) (ca)(fe) (db)(ag) | (fa)(fd) (Adce) d4 :| |:
(fa)(fd) {f}e2 (dc) {e}d2 (cB) | (ce)(cA) (dc)(BA) {A}^G2 (FE) | (Fd)(BA) (^GB)(ed) (ce)(ae) | (fd)(ec) (dB)(A^G) A2 (Bc) |
(df)(eg) f2 d4 AF | G2 B2 (gf)(ed) (dc)(BA) | (Bg)(ed) (ca)(fe) (db)(ag) | (fa)(fd) (Adce) d4 :|

T:Hornpipe.
Q:3/8=80
|: (def).d a(gTfe) .a(Tfed) | cdef e2 B2 cdec | (def)d .b(Tfed) .A(fed) | Adce .d(TBAG) F2 D2 :| |:
(d'c'd').a bagf efge | (=c'bc').a bagf efge | (d'c'd').a bagf gfed | Adce .d(TBAG) F2 D2 :|

The slightly wacky ABC 'style', including the 'long s' (ſ) merely reflects what is on the printed page.

I hope some folks might find 'em interesting/enjoyable. I guess chords, which is what the thread was
originally about are down to the individual...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 06:56:37 PM by Roger Hare »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Hugh Taylor

• Respected Sage
    • Band web site: http://www.tumblingtom.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 10:32:31 AM »

Hmm..Generally I like triple time hornpipes, but these are very different to any I've come across.
Castagnari Mory D/G, Castagnari Tommy D/G, Saltarelle C/F, Hohner Erika A/D
Tumbling Tom Band

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 11:12:24 AM »

Nice tunes! I don't know them, but they remind me slightly of several others. All a bit of a challenge (though not impossible) on melodeon.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 11:17:52 AM »

Hmm..Generally I like triple time hornpipes, but these are very different to any I've come across.

They don't seem that diifferent to the types of tune in John of the Green. Haven't got time to look at themn in detail now, but they look rather inviting to me. Would have made a nice new thread.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Mark Leue

• Regular debater
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 12:11:56 PM »

If you're not familiar with old 3/2 English Hornpipes you have a treat to come. They are real fun to play.

Thank you for introducing me to a rhythm I've never really been aware of!
They are certainly fun to listen to. playing them will have to wait!

Roger Hare

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 12:51:16 PM »

...these are very different to any I've come across.
Bearing in mind, my unfamiliarity with the genre, they seemed different to me too, which was what
prompted me to post...

They don't seem that different to the types of tune in John of the Green....they look rather inviting
to me. Would have made a nice new thread.
I don't know about John of the Green - I generally have not been over-keen on the tunes I've heard,
and I just love these three - I think it's something to do with the 'ambience' around these late 18thC
tunes, particularly when they are looked at in the immediate context of other such music (there are
~120 tunes in the tunebook). I certainly find them very evocative (if that's the word I want). However,
maybe I should go back and have another look/listen to JotG...

I'm always a little wary of starting a very 'non free-reed' thread. If the sysadmin decided to lift these
last few posts into a new thread, that's fine by me.

Roger.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 12:57:29 PM by Roger Hare »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2019, 03:56:49 PM »

Bits of them remind me of some tunes in the William Mittell book too, which has lots of 3/2 hornpipes in it.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2019, 08:02:52 PM »

I'm always a little wary of starting a very 'non free-reed' thread. If the sysadmin decided to lift these
last few posts into a new thread, that's fine by me.

Roger.

This should be perfectly acceptable in the "Tunes" thread, I would have thought
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 09:24:34 PM »

I have summoned the wizard.  :|glug
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2019, 09:39:09 PM »

I have summoned the wizard.  :|glug

[[ADMIN]]

Topic split and moved.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Roger Hare

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2019, 07:16:16 AM »

This should be perfectly acceptable in the "Tunes" thread, I would have thought
Mea culpa! I should have thought of that! It just seemed 'natural' in the heat of the moment to tag
it on to the end of the existing '3/2' thread.

Bits of them remind me of some tunes in the William Mittell book too, which has lots of 3/2 hornpipes in it.
I didn't know about that one (I don't know much really!). Thank you, it looks very nice. It's listed in
the catalogue of the Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, but not on-line, unfortunately. ABC at:
http://www.cpartington.plus.com/Links/Mittell/Mittell%20Info.html
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 07:18:09 AM by Roger Hare »

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
Re: Triple time hornpipe chord playing
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2019, 05:11:48 PM »

For those who are not already aware, Brian Peters will be running a workshop on triple time hornpipes and what to do with the left hand at Melodeons in Wensleydale in a couple of weeks' time. There are still a couple of places left, if anyone fancies making a late booking.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2019, 06:03:34 PM »

I didn't realise this type of tune was still in vogue as late as 1799 or, was that when he stopped writing in his book?.
Greg Smith

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal