Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Bunch of Questions!  (Read 2888 times)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Re: A Bunch of Questions!
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2019, 10:32:18 AM »

Hi gang, just taking up a point made by Rich:
If you're learning a tune with chords already written in and you've decided to follow that tune closely then by all means practice the treble first. If it's just a melody where *you* are going to decide the bass accompaniment then I take a different tack.

The first time I look at a 'melody only' tune I try bars and phrases of music trying to work out which chords go with the melody and whether the sequence of notes are pulled/ pushed to achieve that bass and chord. I try it as many ways as possible, along the row or across, to either get the best accompniament or perhaps the easier run of notes for the fingers. A pencil and rubber (eraser!) are go-to tools!
Once I've worked through the tune I'll start to play it and still make the odd change as I get into it.

The point I'm trying to make is don't learn the melody first before adding the accompaniment if you are creating that accompaniment.
In my mind, the chords and bass dictate which direction the bellows go and therefore select whether to push ir pull that note. If you've already learnt the melody only before adding your accompniament you could find you have to unlearn and relearn things which is never easy.
Good luck with it all....
Cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal